1.9 Sport Auto (cant get it to start)

K3mpik

Reaction score
Hugely embarrassing first post, picked up a A4 Sport (Automatic) this afternoon, Just jumped in it for the second time and cant get the blighter to start. Have the handbrake up and in Park even tried holding the foot brake... Any ideas? No obvious errors, tried both sets of keys. Garage I bought it from is shut for today..

Is the starter turning at all, If not is the battery flat ? . If battery is good and it's not even turning over then I would suspect the switch that detects when the car is in Park. Try taking in and out of park a few times. Could be a duff starter motor, tricky with an auto as you can't even bump them.

Reactions: K3mpik
Is the starter turning at all, If not is the battery flat ? . If battery is good and it's not even turning over then I would suspect the switch that detects when the car is in Park. Try taking in and out of park a few times. Could be a duff starter motor, tricky with an auto as you can't even bump them.
Got it started, seemed to be something with either the foot brake (don't know if there is some kind of sensor there) or like you said theswitch that detects "park", Was like playing Daley Thompson's Decathlon taking it in and out of park :D. Either a we trip back to garage tomorrow might shed more light. Thanks for all you help :)

If its like previous audi/vw auto's there should be a switch on the brake pedal