1.9 tdi Oil Consumption

AudidriverA4

Reaction score
When ever I change the oil in my car(using vw oil from the main dealers 5w 30) within about 2000 miles or so later, when ever I dip the car for oil again it's down nearly at the half way mark on the dipstick

I'm just wondering how does compare to other 1.9 tdi owners or is the piston rings in my car f@@@@d :Flush:

Edit: mine is the AVF engine just for a bit of info.

Last edited:
Hi, ive got the 1.9tdi 130 quattro and i use castrol 5/40 edge fully synthetic and my car uses like no oil what so ever and in the 3 years ive owned it i cant recall ever needing to top it up.

Hi, ive got the 1.9tdi 130 quattro and i use castrol 5/40 edge fully synthetic and my car uses like no oil what so ever and in the 3 years ive owned it i cant recall ever needing to top it up.

Really, the guy at the parts division told me 5w 30 was required for my car, but maybe the Quattro is different.
Maybe I should try 5w 40 next time ? As my car does seem to be burning quite a good bit of oil :unsure:

Yeah i work at motorfactors and i have often found conflicting information between oil companies for certain cars and the vag p.d engine is one of them. Carlube list the 5/40 whereas Castrol list the 5/30 ive just never had a problem running the 5/40 p.d oil.

I had a Passat for 5 years with the same engine and it never used any oil between services. I eventually stopped checking it regularly as it never went down.

I used 5/30 as its recomended by VAG, this was confirmed buy my reliable mechanic.

Now, my 4.2 v8 S4, thats a different story, that uses the same oil but goes throught it like water, which it seems is expected, very strange. it needs topping u every 1500 miles.

My 250,000 miler uses no oil either!

It used to until I replaced the turbo after it started dumping oil in the air inlet

Oh yes, meant to say. Passat was purchased with 89k on the clock and sold at 201k and still no oil consumption, in fact the whole car was excellent. For different reasons probably the best car I ever owned.

S4 102k and uses 1 ltr every 1500 miles, and it seems this is expectable, very strange.

I have an AVF also, using the VAG Synta 5w 30 it uses hardly any almost no oil between changes. Think the tiny loss is via the turbo as inlet pipework is oily like Stu_m had.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Jesus I can't over that, there is just 117,000 miles on my 2004 A4,

The car still has plenty of power, would the previous owner not have serviced it on time cause this oil consumption ?

if I was to drive 10,000 miles between services with out checking the car I wouldn't say there would be a drop left it.

I too have a 130pd quattro - it's always used 0.5L oil every 5000miles with me, from 88k-135k (so far). I'm not that bothered.

Previous car, rotary Golf TDI, never used a drop from 100k-175k.

5w40 oils is if your doing fixed service intervals so oil and filter every 10k or 1 year, 5w30 is longlife oil and if you so upto 19k or 2 years between services. Best off sticking to fixed. As for oil consumption VAG group say 1 liter per 1000km's is acceptable!

I would check the engine over make sure there is no signs of an external leak anywhere before you start thinking piston rings and turbo seals. Diesels though by the way they work do burn a little oil naturally. If anyone could show me a diesel car with no traces of oil in the intake system I would be amazed!