1.9tdi 130bhp re-map

Gooner

Reaction score
Hi All

Just wondered if anyone has remapped a 1.9tdi 130bhp model A4 before ? Im thinking of having this done and was wondering what sort of gains i could expect !?

Many Thanks

all depends on how careful you are with the clutch... I think most get 150-160bhp fairly easilly and I think some people have 1.9's running at 190bhp, but that may be with some extra "meddling"...

if yours is FWD and given the "lump of torque" delivery style of the TDI, there's probably no point if pushing much beyond that 150-160bhp...

Whatever you do, just remember to be careful with any traffic light grand-prix starts... clutch all the way out before the right foot hits the loud pedal properly.... and certainly no "launch control" style starts!!

The manufacturer's map detunes the lower revs so you don't have enough torque to burn out the clutch.... the remap removes that safety feature and leaves that in your hands.

I had a FWD 1.9TDi 130 remapped to supposedly 165bhp.

It was really easy to spin the front wheels on enthusiastic starts and it almost seemed that the traction control was too slow to react since they spun for several seconds before the engine power was cut by the TC. You certainly learn good clutch control!

I've seen a 105bhp 1.9TDI Golf re-mapped to 150bhp.... it was fine on the dyno run, but after a ten minute blast on the open road, the clutch was overheating BADLY and it had to be tuned down a bit... but that is a much lower diameter clutch and yours should be fine for 150-odd....

If you've got a Quattro Sport (which presumably also has the sport rear differential) and don't mind having to replace the clutch at some stage with an uprated / organic clutch, then go nuts: I think 180bhp+ on the remap alone has been possible on some PD130's :)