1.9tdi straight through exhaust worth it?

louis_123

Reaction score
I have been looking at getting a straight through exhaust system and was wondering if it is worth it? And pros or cons? It's a 1.9tdi.

it totally depends mate, in all honesty I think they sound awful!
my mate used to have a 150 tdi Passat and had a pipe literally welded on and sounded poor

There is a 2.0tdi bmw estate around me who seems to have a miltek exhaust and it actually sounds pretty nice, sounds more like a petrol but still noisy.

personal opinion end of the day

Decat gives more turbo whistle , straight through is just too unrefined sounding.

Just a back box full system is great.

Go for it, can always put boxes and silencers on if you change your mind later.

That's a good point. What's the best way to do the decat and still be okay for mot?

Awful mate. That's how it sounds.
What tail pipes you running?
And like dieseljake said,if you do it right you can always put it back.
De-cat pipe don't matter for mot,for now anyway,depends if they bring the new law in where it has to be seen on the vehicle, a de-cat don't change the emissions enough for it to fail.

Oh rite..... Just running standard system atm. How about if they introduce the law? Just knock the innards out?

Cat and dpf are visual for mot now since February.

OcHcQUDt

Last edited:
How would you get around a decat then apart from taking it off and putting on?

Buy an old cat or use your own and knock the guts out.......then put back on. It a visual inspection to see it is there, but keeping mine as is :)

Aaaarrrrrr okay then. Would that bring up any dash lights at all?

What gains do you get from a decat pipe as in the above?

does anyone recommend a nice sounding back box for a 1.9TDI which will go on a standard bumper (think it is anyway)?

Removing the catalytic converter creates less back pressure, increased flow of exhaust gasses allowing quicker turbo spool and potentialy better torque, some say even improved mpg.
I did it on my VW van and made quite a difference when combined with other mods, gives a bit of turbo whistle too :)

Removing the catalytic converter creates less back pressure, increased flow of exhaust gasses allowing quicker turbo spool and potentialy better torque, some say even improved mpg.
I did it on my VW van and made quite a difference when combined with other mods, gives a bit of turbo whistle too :)

is it a DIY job or is there some cutting involved? for £56 its a good/cheap mod :)

Yes a DIY job. Shouldn't be cutting if a quality decat pipe can be obtained as they have flanges at each end. That was why I was asking Ruffrida above which pipe he bought as I have been looking at them for a long time myself, hoping to find a cheapish stainless quality made part that is tried and tested. Havent yet. As mentioned above you can knock the guts out of your existing cat, or cut it open, remove cells and then weld it up.
I'm hoping someone comes in here that has had a decat fitted long term on a 130 ?
There are stories of the reduced back pressure leading to snapped turbocharger shafts on the standard 130 turbo.
Only saying, havent done it yet to my one.