1 litre of oil in 6 weeks/2500 miles

dgannon

Dolphin Grey 2007 S3
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Had to fill my car (2007 S3) up with Oil today as i was near minimum after only just having an oil change (it's got 5/30w fully synthetic currently in it) carried out by my local dealers...

The change was carried out approx 6 weeks ago and no more than 2.5k miles. The miles i've done have been approx 80% motorway miles sat at between 70 and 80 with no hard driving!!

No warning lights and no signs of leaks or running issues.

The car is mapped and has covered approx 24k miles.

Anyone think this is a bit too much oil to be using over this distance??

Regards,

Dave

Dont Audi say something daft like 1 litre per 1,000 miles is acceptable in the handbook?

Still seems high though.

yeh i think so but surely that's a load of balls?! i've done 10k miles in it and this is the 1st time it's drank fuel so quickly!!

Not really read anything anywhere that i could find to suggest anyone elses car has experienced this kind of thirst...

Dave

They do drink oil.. mapping won't help.:redrs4:

What are you going on about now? His car IS mapped already!

Are you suggesting that there is a map out there somewhere that helps with oil consumption? :tumble:
DG:

Mine has used .5l in the last 3k since service too, so maybe not too unusual.

That sounds little excessive tbh, on my S4 4.2 V8 I was getting better oil rentention than this & that used to drink it, they say for the S4 1 litre per 1k miles but not an S3 8P, just get it checked mate for peace of mind, god that oil was tad rich aswell, but nice car, just needed some turbos, lol

I guess if he's ragging **** of everywhere constantly maybe its burning of hell of alot quicker, just speculating but even the boys with giacs & 350 horses havnt mentioned anything about bad oil usage.

my 2008 S3 didnt even sniff the oil, l got a litre from the stealers when l picked it up as well. so there might have been an possiblity that it should have ingested it.

This gets me wondering if I was short changed at service then. I know that before it went in I didn't have to top it up, mmm.

It is going in tommorrow for A/C and I will see what they say.

Thanks for all your comments,

NHN - i've not been ragging it at all... just very steady motorway driving.

It's in the dealers now for a look. Will let you all know if there's a reason!

cheers,

DG - I'd be interested to hear what the dealers say if anything. Infact i'm sure i've posted about this before...:think:

fyi - my 2007 S3 drinks it... roughly its about 1 litre every 7-9K miles. I also do more motorway miles than anything else. Its coming up to its second AVS at 26K miles.

Ta

mine drinks elots of oil ............

Thats odd because when we had it even from new it never used oil and it was driven fairly hard after the running in period. I did top it up with 1l of oil just before the first service but that is fairly normal for a car at that mileage. After that it never went down for the rest of the time we had it.

Thats odd because when we had it even from new it never used oil and it was driven fairly hard after the running in period. I did top it up with 1l of oil just before the first service but that is fairly normal for a car at that mileage. After that it never went down for the rest of the time we had it.

Isnt the trick to drive it hard (not rag) whilst its being run in?

On topic - it does seem a tad excessive for a S3 petrol. My A3 TDi does around a litre per 3-4k and thats meant to be an oil burner!

NHN - i've not been ragging it at all

I didnt say you were, it was a rhetorical comment, more of maybe a reason how it could/why burn more oil

Running in a car should never be driven hard until 500-1k miles anyway, thats what I've always been told & done.

No leaks or issues so i guess she must just like the taste of oil!!

Dave

Isnt the trick to drive it hard (not rag) whilst its being run in?

I used some of the info in here http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm. Only to seal the rings initially though after that I took it pretty easy on the engine with only occasional burst of really hard acceleration and never into the redline for the first 1000 miles. After that I was more free with the revs when I was driving it. My wife used it as her work car for 5 day a week so it was evening and weekends it was driven hard when I got my mits on it;). Seemed to work well though as it got to about 7k before it needed a top up, which is pretty good for an engine on its running in cycle. If i remember rightly its first service came up about 8.5k miles due to the short work trips and after that we had it another 4.5k miles and it never used a drop. Always made sure the engine was fully warm before ragging it though which is alot longer than the water temp gauge takes to indicates warm.

no mines great dandle on oil i was taking the mikky out of someone ....