1 Step Paint Correction Recommendations?

Lou Coe

Reaction score
Hey all! Just come back to the VAG team and picked up a 20o9 S3 sportback in sprint blue.

The paint is in great condition with no scuffs or bad scratches but could do with some love to bring it up to glory. I clayed the car last night so ready for a fresh start.

Before the keyboard warriors chime in, yes i'm aware a multiple step detail would achieve better results... Unfortunately time is an issue at the minute so i'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a 1 step correction. I've used Menzerna 3 in 1 on my Subaru and it gave some really good results, however subaru paint is softer than warm butter.

My plan is this weekend give it a 1 step correction then next weekend polish, seal, wax which for now i think will still be good enough especially with winter creeping up.

Any thoughts would be much appriciated!
IMG 2065

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Hey all! Just come back to the VAG team and picked up a 20o9 S3 sportback in sprint blue.

The paint is in great condition with no scuffs or bad scratches but could do with some love to bring it up to glory. I clayed the car last night so ready for a fresh start.

Before the keyboard warriors chime in, yes i'm aware a multiple step detail would achieve better results... Unfortunately time is an issue at the minute so i'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a 1 step correction. I've used Menzerna 3 in 1 on my Subaru and it gave some really good results, however subaru paint is softer than warm butter.

My plan is this weekend give it a 1 step correction then next weekend polish, seal, wax which for now i think will still be good enough especially with winter creeping up.

Any thoughts would be much appriciated!View attachment 161857
Cracking colour sprint blue
Scholl S20 Black cracking one step polish
So is Sonax profiline perfect finish win win ... .With either although the Sonax is more expensive, use some chemical guys Green heavy polishing quantum pads with either polish, l use Scholl S40 for a extra bit of gloss on top of either

Reactions: Lou Coe and NevMan
Looks like some people are getting nice results with the S20, not one i've heard of before so thanks!

I've got a green lake country pad that i haven't used yet, used their orange and white pads before and thought they were pretty decent, unless people think otherwise?

Reactions: Jassyo06
Looks like some people are getting nice results with the S20, not one i've heard of before so thanks!

I've got a green lake country pad that i haven't used yet, used their orange and white pads before and thought they were pretty decent, unless people think otherwise?

Lake Country Green pads are just as good so go with that, S20 is quite oily so have plenty of cloths and panel wipe at the ready sonax isn't as oily buffs off easier with less use of a panel wipe

Reactions: NevMan
Cool that sounds like the one then, i'll try and get some before and after shots

Reactions: Jassyo06 and NevMan
@Lou Coe ...... Sorry to piggy back your thread but as its title is 1 step polishing it seems relevant.

@jassyo06.
I noticed last night that some of the paint work on my A3 is still in need of a lot of correction. It's only noticeable in certain light, most easily seen when the sun glares on it at the right angle.

I've noticed a fair amount of spider webbing effect. Now I've polished the car three times, twice with poorboys Black Hole and once with S20 and green hex logic pads.

Now either I'm doing something really wrong or I need to do something more. I've watched plenty of videos on using a DA. I'm letting threes pad / DA do the work and not applying too much pressure. Also doing sections, side to side and up and down.

Should I use different perhaps more heavier pads or a different compound ? Ideally I want to get the paint work looking right myself without paying a pro detailer bit so far I'm feeling dissapointed. Any advice of pointers appreciated as always.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

@Lou Coe ...... Sorry to piggy back your thread but as its title is 1 step polishing it seems relevant.

@jassyo06.
I noticed last night that some of the paint work on my A3 is still in need of a lot of correction. It's only noticeable in certain light, most easily seen when the sun glares on it at the right angle.

I've noticed a fair amount of spider webbing effect. Now I've polished the car three times, twice with poorboys Black Hole and once with S20 and green hex logic pads.

Now either I'm doing something really wrong or I need to do something more. I've watched plenty of videos on using a DA. I'm letting threes pad / DA do the work and not applying too much pressure. Also doing sections, side to side and up and down.

Should I use different perhaps more heavier pads or a different compound ? Ideally I want to get the paint work looking right myself without paying a pro detailer bit so far I'm feeling dissapointed. Any advice of pointers appreciated as always.

Are these NOT scratches mate....???? what machine are you using..???....l used the das6 pro plus with a 15 mm throw...=slightly more aggressive the longer throw with green hex logic pads with S20 BLACK on my sons badly swirled M4...and got fantastic results
Did clean the pads after each set very very important?

However.... l tried to correct very badly swirled/scratched bmw black paint with S20 and Sonax and it didnt remove the scratches but it did remove the swirls....though, then hit with Scholl S30 GOLD XXL...with a medium cut orange quantum....pad and bosh.....got lovely results....
Basically you can use the best products out there but if yer polisher aint up to scratch....well yer gonna struggle mate....correcting paint

So what machine are you using

Reactions: V6_Man and Scotty75
I'm using a DA from Halfords. Paid 85 quid for it. It's got 6 speed settings. Can't really say how good it is due to the fact I'm still learning and I've no other DA to compare it to

I did clean the pad between passes last time I polished. Thing is I get a great shine but on closer inspection, in the right light...... The Cobb webbing is apparent and I'm not a happy chap

So you reckon S30 and Orange hex logic is the next step mate? ?

I'm using a DA from Halfords. Paid 85 quid for it. It's got 6 speed settings. Can't really say how good it is due to the fact I'm still learning and I've no other DA to compare it to

I did clean the pad between passes last time I polished. Thing is I get a great shine but on closer inspection, in the right light...... The Cobb webbing is apparent and I'm not a happy chap

So you reckon S30 and Orange hex logic is the next step mate? ?

Aye apart from a full respray.....lol,Hex logic orange quantum pads and S30 GOLD XXL....buy the 500 ml bottle if you can it's cheaper.......see how ye on should fix it mate then jump on it with a S40.....and a white polishing pad....Bosh....

Reactions: V6_Man and Scotty75
I'll give it a try mate. . Thanks once again

I'll give it a try mate. . Thanks once again

Remember hit the bonnet first...ie lets you get familiar with the pads and polish...the polishing of a bonnet.....ie the money shot....

Reactions: NevMan, V6_Man and Scotty75
Will do mate. I'm ****** determined to get the paint work looking right. I know it's a learning curve but I'll get there........

Just wish I'd beaten @Tashfeen to the Das6 pro...... Lol

Reactions: NevMan, V6_Man and Jassyo06
Sounds like a good idea

Will do mate. I'm ****** determined to get the paint work looking right. I know it's a learning curve but I'll get there........

Just wish I'd beaten @Tashfeen to the Das6 pro...... Lol

. Too far away from Oxford however, you are welcome to borrow if you can do the return journey, twice off course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Scotty75
I'll be round on Saturday morning

Reactions: V6_Man, NevMan and Jassyo06
Had some time last night so decided to do a test mainly out of my own curiosity and to get me ready for the big job at the weekend. I wanted to test 1 step corrections from products that i already had, then polish and wax combinations

I tested 3 "1 step products" which i had lying around (i've ordered some scholl s20 on jassyo06's recommendation so will test that when it arrives):

Megs Ultimate Compound
Autofinesse Tripple
Menzerna 3-in-1

I used a Das V6 Pro combined with an orange lake country Pad. I tried to get some comparison pictures but unfortunately couldn't get any that showed the difference

Megs Ultimate Compound
Went on easily, took some buffing to get clean but did the best job of the 3 for removing swirls and hologramming

Autofinesse Tripple
Took more passes to get a result i would've accepted, came off more easily than Megs but not quite as good results.

Menzerna 3-in-1
Out of the 3 i would say this was the "worst" but by no means a bad product. still did a good job but was the hardest to buff off

Next was polish the three products i had were:

Autoglym Super Resin Polish
Poorboys Black Hole
Autofinesse Ultra Glaze

Applied using a black hex logic pad

I've been a fan of SRP for a while, my only issue is when buffing off there is a lot of dust. Does a good job of hiding any minor swirls however from experience unless you use a good quality wax the finish doesn't last all that long.

Poorboys Black Hole
I'd say almost on par with SRP but it just wins for me over how easy it is to remove and there's almost no dust. It smells of delicious grapey grape too which is obviously the most important factor. Can't comment on longevity too much as i've only used a few times and the car was waxed with high quality wax.

Autofinesse
An average glaze, ok not great and fairly easy to remove.

Finally onto wax, the three i tested were:
Autofinesse Radiance
Poorboys Natty Paste Wax Blue
Anothere creme wax that i can't for the life of me remember the name, black bottle, German, with a chrome lid

Autofinesse Radiance
Easy on, easy off, nice shine, smells amazing but doesn't last that long from experience

Poorboys Natty Paste Wax
Easy on, easy off and on my last car i did a couple of coats which lasted 5ish months, even when the car was dirty people would say how good it looked

Other wax i cant remember
Nice shine, bit of buffing required to remove and lasts around 3 months

Eventually i settled on the combo of
Megs Ultimate Compund
Poorboys Black Hole
Poorboys Natty Paste Wax

Here's a before and after, kinda hard to tell but as i mentioned in my first post the pain is in pretty good shape

BEFORE
IMG 2086 min

AFTER
IMG 2087 min

So yeah its not a particularly scientific test it's more just being a nerd and testing stuff

Reactions: NevMan and Jassyo06
Had some time last night so decided to do a test mainly out of my own curiosity and to get me ready for the big job at the weekend. I wanted to test 1 step corrections from products that i already had, then polish and wax combinations

I tested 3 "1 step products" which i had lying around (i've ordered some scholl s20 on jassyo06's recommendation so will test that when it arrives):

Megs Ultimate Compound
Autofinesse Tripple
Menzerna 3-in-1

I used a Das V6 Pro combined with an orange lake country Pad. I tried to get some comparison pictures but unfortunately couldn't get any that showed the difference

Megs Ultimate Compound
Went on easily, took some buffing to get clean but did the best job of the 3 for removing swirls and hologramming

Autofinesse Tripple
Took more passes to get a result i would've accepted, came off more easily than Megs but not quite as good results.

Menzerna 3-in-1
Out of the 3 i would say this was the "worst" but by no means a bad product. still did a good job but was the hardest to buff off

Poorboys Black Hole
Autofinesse Ultra Glaze

I've been a fan of SRP for a while, my only issue is when buffing off there is a lot of dust. Does a good job of hiding any minor swirls however from experience unless you use a good quality wax the finish doesn't last all that long.

Poorboys Black Hole
I'd say almost on par with SRP but it just wins for me over how easy it is to remove and there's almost no dust. It smells of delicious grapey grape too which is obviously the most important factor. Can't comment on longevity too much as i've only used a few times and the car was waxed with high quality wax.

Autofinesse

Autofinesse Radiance
Anothere creme wax that i can't for the life of me remember the name, black bottle, German, with a chrome lid

Autofinesse Radiance
Easy on, easy off, nice shine, smells amazing but doesn't last that long from experience

Poorboys Natty Paste Wax
Easy on, easy off and on my last car i did a couple of coats which lasted 5ish months, even when the car was dirty people would say how good it looked

Megs Ultimate Compund
Poorboys Black Hole
Poorboys Natty Paste Wax

Here's a before and after, kinda hard to tell but as i mentioned in my first post the pain is in pretty good shape

BEFORE
View attachment 161990

AFTERView attachment 161991

So yeah its not a particularly scientific test it's more just being a nerd and testing stuff
Can see big improvements especially on the clarity of the clear coat, l know S20 is better than Megs ultimate compound.... And if quick results is high on your priorities .. Well sonax perfect finish cuts/ corrects quicker than S20 but S20 is more user friendly ie it simply doesn't dust no matter how long you work

Reactions: NevMan

Megs Ultimate Compound
Autofinesse Tripple
Menzerna 3-in-1

Megs Ultimate Compound

Autofinesse Tripple

Menzerna 3-in-1

Poorboys Black Hole
Autofinesse Ultra Glaze

Poorboys Black Hole

Autofinesse

Autofinesse Radiance

Autofinesse Radiance

Poorboys Natty Paste Wax

Megs Ultimate Compund
Poorboys Black Hole
Poorboys Natty Paste Wax

BEFORE
View attachment 161990

AFTERView attachment 161991

Good general review there, really detailed. Look forward to your end result as some good colour popping going on already.

The German brand you couldn’t remember (with chrome lid) Swissvax by any chance? Or possibly Sonax?