'14 S4 - another new owner needs some help and guidance ...

V6_Man

Staff member
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
After contemplating for months and months whether to remap my B7 Tdi, I finally took the leap of faith and ... bought a '14 S4. And driving the car back from Aberdeen I was thinking what took me soooo long :) What a machine ...

And here is what I need your help and guidance on. Ever since I bought car I have been itching to remap but the million dollar question has been who to go to and when to do it. So, I decided that I needed to learn to drive the car how it should be driven. And therefore since I bought the car I have spent time mostly learning to drive in "M" mode, paddle-shifts is simply awesome. I wouldn't say I have mastered it, I believe I am comfortable using it now. And the left foot braking, again I kind of feel I am comfortable using it now. It is a shame my job is very close to home and I only get to drive the car properly over the weekends and even then I have barely done 5k miles since June last year.

Re: remap, it was ****** difficult to decide between Revo vs APR vs MRC. Different forums, different people and different views. Guess it all comes down to personal preferences, isn't it.

So, finally took another leap of faith, I am going to seeing guys at MRC in Banbury on Sat 11th for Stage 1. My question to you all who are obviously experts and know more than I do is; given the costs involved, is Stage 2 worth it as the gains are relatively marginal compared to between Stock and Stage 1. Plus, I am thinking maybe I should invest the money in brakes and discs? I would really appreciate your help and guidance on this.

Here are couple of pics of the car:
IMG 1406 EFFECTS
IMG 1406

Last edited:
Reactions: Bristle Hound and Nilz
the power under the curve puts the stag 2 in a different league though.

Reactions: skiptowncat and V6_Man
14510546683_c446735dfe_b.jpg

Power at the wheels/hub on that graph

Reactions: V6_Man
Cheers mate, this is very helpful.

The reason for asking for some guidance is that if I was to go to Stage 2 what brakes setup would you recommend. The squeak on my stock has been annoying me for the last 4 months now.

And you've got some awesome numbers buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi @Tashfeen - I had mine done at MRC last week and can confirm that the experience was great. I can't help you with your stage 1 or 2 decision since I always planned to go straight to stage 2. However I mention what you have likely thought yourself (as evident from this thread) that if you go for just stage 1, you'll always be wondering what stage 2 is like.

I'm interested in your concern about brakes. My last car was a B5 S4 and truly the OEM brakes were poor. So when I tuned that car I invested in a Porsche setup for the front which I thought were on the good side of adequate for a 320bhp car. Then when I started to test drive B8s I realised that those Porsche brakes were not special and despite appearances, the B8's brakes were quite good. Even with my car now at 475bhp (just over 400 at the wheels) I feel that the brakes are fine for road use. Yes they squeal, but I'm living with that. Possibly aftermarket pads could fix it.

If it's just the squeel that bothers you ceramic pads should sort that

Gents, I really appreciate your help with this. MRC it is then. And I am really looking forward to 11th March. The stock brings enough smile on my face every time I sit in the car. Remap will be a different league altogether :airplane:
@Dippy @xpoweruk, OEM disks and change the pads is the decision then. I have heard with S5 pads are quite good and you don't get the squeak. However, would be interested in your views, i.e. what would you guys recommend.

Once again, many thanks for your help.

Just about to replace my discs with EBC rotors and redstuff pads as per recommendation from guys at Quattro-Tech who know their stuff. Running stage 1+. Will report back soon!

Reactions: xpoweruk and V6_Man
After contemplating for months and months whether to remap my B7 Tdi, I finally took the leap of faith and ... bought a '14 S4. And driving the car back from Aberdeen I was thinking what took me soooo long :) What a machine ...

And here is what I need your help and guidance on. Ever since I bought car I have been itching to remap but the million dollar question has been who to go to and when to do it. So, I decided that I needed to learn to drive the car how it should be driven. And therefore since I bought the car I have spent time mostly learning to drive in "M" mode, paddle-shifts is simply awesome. I wouldn't say I have mastered it, I believe I am comfortable using it now. And the left foot braking, again I kind of feel I am comfortable using it now. It is a shame my job is very close to home and I only get to drive the car properly over the weekends and even then I have barely done 5k miles since June last year.

Re: remap, it was ****** difficult to decide between Revo vs APR vs MRC. Different forums, different people and different views. Guess it all comes down to personal preferences, isn't it.

So, finally took another leap of faith, I am going to seeing guys at MRC in Banbury on Sat 11th for Stage 1. My question to you all who are obviously experts and know more than I do is; given the costs involved, is Stage 2 worth it as the gains are relatively marginal compared to between Stock and Stage 1. Plus, I am thinking maybe I should invest the money in brakes and discs? I would really appreciate your help and guidance on this.

Here are couple of pics of the car:View attachment 118771 View attachment 118772
@Tashfeen - Hi & :welcome!: to Audi-Sport.Net !

:s4addict: looks fab buddy. Nice to see another one in the 'right' shape ;) :D

I'm going straight for the stage 2 with mine on Tuesday next week and I'm using unicorn , I'll keep you posted on the difference . I have heard very good things about Mrc , so I'm sure you will be in good hands ,
As for your brakes it depends on what you planning to use the car for , you could just do a pad and disc upgrade with standard sizes .
As I intend to,use mine on the track a little I've gone for the r8 calipers up front with the rs5 disc's
As for pads I run carbon Lorain and have done for years on the track and obviously a good brake fluid to match

Just about to replace my discs with EBC rotors and redstuff pads as per recommendation from guys at Quattro-Tech who know their stuff. Running stage 1+. Will report back soon!

Cheers mate, thanks for the note. Would definitely be interested. Keep us posted

I'm going straight for the stage 2 with mine on Tuesday next week and I'm using unicorn , I'll keep you posted on the difference . I have heard very good things about Mrc , so I'm sure you will be in good hands ,
As for your brakes it depends on what you planning to use the car for , you could just do a pad and disc upgrade with standard sizes .
As I intend to,use mine on the track a little I've gone for the r8 calipers up front with the rs5 disc's
As for pads I run carbon Lorain and have done for years on the track and obviously a good brake fluid to match

To be honest @biscuittin, it is getting difficult to not go for Stage 2. As long as my wife doesn't check the bank statement I believe I'll be OK :blink:
All the best and keep us posted.

Reactions: xpoweruk
haha I know what you mean , that why I have a separate bank account
just tell her it cost more than you though for a remap , I have actually used the mrc crank pulley on mine , it fits really well , I cant wait for more power

Right gents, finally went MRC Stage 2 yesterday and it is a completely different beast now. Exhaust to go next, hopefully next month. My setup
63f93d77e13872452e139fe70252172e.jpg
30780c945db5383b4bd3e38ad137005b.jpg
d331ce492c441a04d909d32bc4da16dd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rizzini7
Nice result :)
MRC are very consistent