16v PD in B7 quattro HALP!

Rabbit 16v

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Ive got this car I converted to some things and am in the final stages of being done with it. Its a B7 A4 quattro that started life as a petrol 2.0l turbo with an automatic gearbox. It now has a 16v TDI PD140 motor with a 6sp manual gearbox. The issue is that BRD and BPW are the only TDI 2.0l PD engines that were options for this platform with quattro. Obviously I didnt want to use the Siemens BRD engine management, so I opted for the BRD stuff. The issue lies in the crank trigger. The engine I have is an AZV which uses a hall effect sender built into the rear main crank seal for the crank trigger. The BPW ECU does not recognize this as a valid trigger signal as it requires a VR trigger setup as found with the tone ring on the crank and the sensor inserted into the engine block. My block not only does not have this ring, it also does not have a hole in the block for the sensor. So, I picked up an aftermarket VR setup and installed it on the crank pulley. It now recognizes it and starts and runs ok. However, I am getting a cam position sensor implausible signal code. I can adjsut the tone ring from the aftermarket setup back and forth and if it gets too far from the sweet spot, it runs poorly or will not start at all. I cant get rid of this cam code though no matter where I adjust it. any thoughts?

I may also note that I had this engine previously running on BKD engine management, but the ABS wouldnt stop complaining about the ECU not being for a quattro car, so that is why I installed the BPW stuff. There was no cam sensor code with this setup.

This is a brand new crate motor from VW. Thanks for any help!