17 Vs 18 Rotors

slimjim

A3 170 Quattro Sport 2.0 TDi '56
Reaction score
Website
www.jameshardacre.com
Winter is coming, so I'm looking at replacing the tyres on the Quattro with winters.

Currently, it has 'standard' 17" 9 spokes on. 225/45ZR17
Which will be fine for finding winters.
Day_One_1.jpg

When the summer comes round next year.... Looking to put some 'nice' alloys on and keep the winters in the garage, with the van winter wheels/tyres.

Due to the colour of the car (Lava Grey Pearl) and the fact that I really like the look of them, I think the 5 spoke Rotors would look really nice on the car.
So I want to do some research on them.

Seem to only come in 18's from Audi. Although I can get 17's in repo.

My wife (as it is her car) says should would prefer to keep 17's as she likes the ride of the car as it is now. which I totally understand.

So, the question is... Can you buy REAL 17" rotors? Or are they only from Audi in 18's...?
I am weary of repos as they can be a pig to balance, much heavier than originals and cause vibrations at certain speeds.

2811417-8.jpg

(Also, am I calling them correctly? Rotors?)

Thanks.

You are correct they are called Rotors and they only come in 18 or 19 inches.

If you change to 18s you'll probably find you'll want to lower the car too.

You are correct they are called Rotors and they only come in 18 or 19 inches.

If you change to 18s you'll probably find you'll want to lower the car too.

Cheers for that.
Why do you think I would want to lower as well as alter the wheels?

Presuming they will sit well on a standard setup?
Happy with the ride as it is, which is why I'd like to stick to 17's if possible...
hmmm, more research needed I guess. :)

i found that when i put 18's on from 17's the car sat very high and needed lowering badly as it looked like a bit of a 4x4 lol!! rotors are very smart wheels indeed but ive only ever seen them in 18's and upward.

I'd be aiming to keep the Rolling Radius the same as the 17's.
If the car rides higher, then it will mean the size of the tyre/wheel combo is taller. Throwing off the speed, acceleration and ride.

I assume your current tyres are 225/45/17, with 18s you'd be on 225/40/18 which would keep everything the same.

What I mean is that with less wheel and more tyre (for a given rolling radius) fools the eye into thinking the arch gap is smaller, but with more wheel and less tyre it makes the car look like it rides really high..

Plus sizing is plus rising because tyres aren't produced perfectly to the sizes on the sidewall. From one make to another especially widths can vary. Most low profiles are taller to build in comfort.

So throw away the pure math of rolling radius and just use it as a guide.

I'm sure that I've seen 17" rotors on an A1. Chances are they'll be the wrong fitting / offset though, although I don't know for sure.

I'm running 19inch rotors on my s3 and they are fine with no rubbing or anything and cars lowered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 349