17s or 18s for A3 T Sport on standard suspension?

paul_b

Reaction score
Don't really want to go to the cost and hassle of uprating the suspension just yet, even though I know it would make a world of difference to the handling.

The standard T Sport may roll and lurch a little too much for my taste but it tackles the terribly surfaced roads of Surrey much better than most sporting hatches.

Given that I'm not lowering it will the 18s look OK? Or should I stick to 17s. I'm thinking of either TT polished (17s) or the TT/RS4 replica 9 spokers in either 17 or 18 inch size, with 225 rubber.
Currently its running the standard 16 inch wheels, which won't look mean enough once the Oettinger front bits are on, plus a little more grip and steering feel would be nice from the wider rubber.

This is my old A3 with 18's and lowered. I know you were thinking of not changing the suspension but I seriously doubt you'll be able to live with it. Mind you, some wheels look worse than others and also black cars don't tend to show the arch gaps so much. I reckon a good comprimise for comfort would be 25mm springs and 17's.
Cheers
Ben

Hi Paul,
I have 18" Mille Miglia Evo 5's on my S3 and the suspension his standard. I'm not the only one who thinks it looks the nuts...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif
Have a look on the gallery @ Shagga's S3

Does the TQ sit a little higher that a regular T Sport?

Mines silver by the way, just like Bens old car - that certainly looks great lowered on the 18s. Together with the Oettinger front end that would be just the look I'm after.

Ben - what suspension are you running there and how did you rate it? I gather a springs-only upgrade is generally not a good idea unless its a minimal drop (25-30mm sounds OK), but it depends on the car - and the springs of course. How does the A3 fair with just the springs uprated? Can the standard dampers cope? Whats best - Eibach, Koni, H&R?

Add a full suspension kit and 18s and its a fair old chunk of money in total, but I might be tempted for a springs only upgrade. I noticed one of you is changing to S3 suspension - any idea of a ballpark figure on the cost of that?

P.S. One more question, spookily enough I noticed nearly all run out models of the present A3 (anything with a model name including the word 'Sport') come with 225/45 R17 tyres on 7J x 17 'nine spoke' design alloy wheels. Anyone got a good picture of these, preferably on a 3 door?
Could influence my choices.

Well, I'm getting an S3 suspension put in on Friday /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I got it on ebay.de for 65 Euros /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Plus, it's only got 4k kms on it, so about 2400 miles. I'm going to take pics, so I'll have before and afters ready by the end of the weekend. PLUS, I'm putting my summer tires on(the 17's pictured above). So you'll be able to see what an A3TQ with S3 suspension and 17's will look like. As for the TQ vs T Sport, I believe the T Sport has the Sport suspension which is a bit lower, 10-15 mm IIRC.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Paul, I was on 25mm Eibachs which were great with the standard wheels/tyres comfort wise. When I upgraded to 18's then things got a bit harsh, hence why I recommended 17's and a 25mm drop. S3 suspension will be no good for you as it's different for the FWD cars. Eibachs are good IMHO but the back stays too high up. Some people even put the 40mm springs on the rear to get the right effect. I've seen some new A3 with the 17" version of the RSTT's and they look good. I'd try and find some of those if you can (are they the same as the A2 ones? There were some in Loot the other day for £500 odd) and do a 25mm drop.
You also need to get rid of the black plastics on the car which I guess you've taklen care of with the new bodystyling ideas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Ben

Thanks for the advice. Will probably go for 17s to start with, and then add Eibachs later if necessary. I'm hoping that would noticably sharpen up the handling for a reasonable budget.

Now I need to track down some wheels - Elite (not all that far from me) are doing those 9 spoke replicas in 7.5x17 with 225/45x17 tyres, and also an Audi 5 spoke replica in the same size.
But it would be cheaper if I could find a secondhand set. Will scour Loot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Look on ebay.......probably more luck. Especially on the German site, as it seems as soon as they buy their new Audi they start to modify them.

Hopefully doing a wheel-deal with Fatcat, ta for your help everyone. Now I can concentrate on springs...

[ QUOTE ]
paul_b said:
wheel-deal with Fatcat

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that were you get a wheel, packet of crisps, and a bottle of fizzy pop for £2.99 !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I'll get me coat.

AL

Just found out the above A3 has GmbH suspension package, lowered by 20mm, stiffened and with a wider track. This all comes as standard with the models in the sport range excluding 1.6 and 1.9TDi 100bhp models.

After getting the S3 suspension in my A3 I can't say enough about how much it has improved the way my car handles. I took a long easy curve on the autobahn today, which I usually couldn't take at more than about 160 kph, at just over 200 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif And it was smooth dude, holy crap was it smooth /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

My Eibachs on the A3 weren't at all lacking in comfort and I'm sure you'll be pleased mate. Have to bring it along to the next Essex meet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The Eibachs also allowed me to do this sort of thing with out cacking myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Well....perhaps at this point I cacked it a bit, back was a bit light coming out of a chicane /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oh, yeah, I'm off to the Nurburgring at the end of this month. Should be a good little test.

That's for 18" with not very good tyres. I think it was around £795 inc vat with Avon zz3's.

Give them a call!

I have looked everywhere for TW Direct number with no luck, does anyone have it?

Cheers