18" alloys on an A3... Ride comfort?

JackA3

Reaction score
So I'm buying new alloys for my 2001 A3 Ambiente, I have the standard 15's on at the moment and I really want 18" RS4's. I was told by some people to not get 18's on an A3, they said that the ride comfort would decrease ALOT! and I would ruin my suspension and bushings. Is this true? Has anyone done this? How is the ride comfort after changing to bigger alloys?
Also, I live out in the country side with pretty bad roads (potholes etc.) 17" would be fine I bet but they look too small IMO. 18"s would make me a happy man IF there is little change in the comfort.

Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me.

Iv'e got 18's on mine and live in an area where the roads are shocking. when i upgraded from the 15's i felt the ride was better on the 18s as big potholes dont hit as hard as they did with the 15's. i know it sounds ridiculous but in my opinion it was a brilliant upgrade. also sticks much better to the road.

Thats great to hear! what alloys are they?

Ride comfort depends more on your tyres rather than wheel diameter. If you run 18s with very low profile tyres, you probably gonna get a worse ride than you have already with 15s wrapped in balloon tyres. So if you want comfort at 18s, go for high sidewall profile tyres.

hmm don't you think it will look too high and big then? what do you have on yours?

hmm don't you think it will look too high and big then? what do you have on yours?

205/40/17s you can barely see the tyre wall :laugh: not very comfortable neither lol i dunt think 45s will look that high, its only 5% difference, if not stick to 40s then.

depends on the width of the alloys. i would go for 45s for more comfort mate.

225 40 18 is fine, messing with the profile will knock the speedo out. Plus putting 45's on a 18" wheel might also cause issues with rubbing on the arches if he decides to uprate the springs and dampers.

I'd say go for 17's with the standard tyre size 225 45 17, if you go 18's the the comfort won't be that much of a difference compared to the 17's but you have more chances of kerbing them.

I've got 18'' alloys with 225/40/18 tyres.
and to be honest.the ride is a bit firmer,but just a bit.
and as mentioned above tyre size/brand quality makes a diference. my ones have toyo tyres (proxes 4)and they perform well.