18" rs4 alloys reps

campbell

Reaction score
i have been told by my insurance that i cannot modify my car from standard so im getting the RS4 alloys- im just wondering if the worse happened (accident!) and i had the replica wheels on but in the RS4 style of course which were an optional upgrade for the S3 would they pay out or be funny??obviously there is a big price difference between genuine and copies but just curious if they would check that the aloys are genuine or not??
im with direct line by the way- dont really wana ask them directly cos might look suss
cheers in advance
Lee

ye i know that mate but just wondered if insurance would mind?because if there standard wheels would replicas fit the bill?

A lot of insurance companies won't cover you for optional extras even if they were factory fit & ordered with the car. I'd check the small print before even worrying about it.

and what happens if you buy your car not knowing that whatever wheels are on it arnt standard???????? Big farse if u ask me, me know nothin im from barcelona

well actually i do know a lot about alloys but they dont know that! he he
can you see it from my point of view- them saying there not originals so were not paying out and me fighting my corner when really i shouldnt have too if the worse happens

Don't take risks with insurance. Declare everything and if they won't cover something then go elsewhere or don't have the mod. Believe me, insurance companies WILL refuse a claim if they can, particularly big £££ where they send an assessor out.

ye i think i will source some origianal RS4 alloys then, if anybody knows any for sale let me know, im from lancashire- willing to travel but not 100s of miles
cheers

the amount your going to pay for origianal its not worth it

you might asweel move insurance comp and the money you were going to spend on the wheels put it towards your premium, and then insure the reps

Campbell
Is it really worth taking the risk?

I think you will find there are 3 types of classification for alloys as far as insurance companies are concerned
1. Factory fitted (Standard)
2. Optional Factory upgrade
3. After market alloys.

As we all know, insurance companies will do anything possible to prevent a payout in a claim. If you have been found to have changed your alloys from what was on the car when purchased, you will be uninsured.

What year is your S3? Earlier ones (not too sure as to what year) were obviously manufactured before the RS4 (or TT) alloys were available as an optional upgrade or standard fit.

I am with Direct Line and have declared ALL of my modifications. This costs me an extra 75% of my premium per year but I consider it worthwhile knowing that I am covered 100% if anything was to go wrong. I can only think that they will not allow you to have any mods due to your age :confused:

At the end of the day the decision is yours. Personally I could not live with the fact that I might not be fully insured if anything were to happen.

I'm with DL, and had to declare all optional extras...

MickHumphrey - do you know if DL are remap friendly?

whats happens if u buy an S3 with 18" RS wheels but the original standard was Avus 17" and you didnt know any different?

madvw said:
MickHumphrey - do you know if DL are remap friendly?

Well my S3 is re-mapped by MTM. DL know about it so I would say that they are.

Mind you I was told by someione else in the car Insurance industry that DL will only allow 4 mods. I have declared all 5 of mine, Alloys, Suspension, Re-map, Exhaust & Brakes and they still insure me. Maybe that's why my premium is 75% more :confused:

The Slug said:
whats happens if u buy an S3 with 18" RS wheels but the original standard was Avus 17" and you didnt know any different?

It would be up to the owner to prove thier case.
I.e. You could make a phone call to Audi and enquire to what the spec was of the car from manufacture.
Insurance companies are a law unto thierselves and pull all the strings.

My personal opinion as far as insurance goes, is never leave anything to chance.

hi there mate,

I had the same problem as you and so bought a set of original RS4 wheels
from

www.sixonetwo.co.uk

Cost me £1080 with continental contact sport tyres all brand new and original Audi wheels

Was happy with that

Think they've still got some left if your interested and they deliver

Regards
Sohail

my S3 is an 02 plate, they clearly stated to me that optional upgrade wheels were insured but not aftermarket wheels or alloys from a different model of audi. direct line class these as mods. as for the remap i havent told them about that because REVO informed me have that the remap is undetectable unless they drive the car. i have the SPS3 controller so can just switch it back to standard incase of the worse

iv been lookin for other insureres but i have paid i lump sum in the first month so cant really change without losing a lot of money.

i have been looking at genuine wheels on ebay, im gonna sell my RS4 reps because there almost brand new and just add a few hundred to some originals

insurance for young drivers is pretty dire and they always rip you off even if everything is insured!!

Campbell

As you have made up your mind I should point out that if you are buying original Audi alloys, then you will need to by the TT alloys NOT the RS4 ones. Original RS4 alloys will not fit the S3.
Sorry if you knew that already just thought I'd point it out.

Do you keep your Revo dongle in the car?
As your insurance don't know about it, I would suggest that you should leave it at home indoors.

Mick i didnt know that that about the TT alloys, thanks for that

yea i keep the revo in my car but will keep it at home from now on, does anyone find when setting the boost to 9 it is hesitant in acceleration?i usually leave it at boost 7, timing 6
cheers for advice everyone