18's or 19's on a 05 sportback?

Clivesportback

Reaction score
Hi i have just bought the above car and i am loving it, i am looking at replacing the alloys with rs4 either 18 or 19, it is standard, would 19's rub? and the would the ride be that bad? should i just go with 18's :) any pics of a sportback on the those alloys would be good?:yum:

18's cause ride would be slightly harsh unless you got some say coilovers, but depends on width & suspension if they will rub or not.

I've had 19's before & tbh horrible ride, swapped back to 18's & perfect look & feel.

I say go for 19's - The ride isn't that bad.
If you opt for 18's you'll always be wishing you'd went for 19's as they look so much better imo.

19's fitted on this guys car with -50mm H&R springs....

19.jpg

Depends what you're after - ride, handling, looks, budget, etc.

19's really arent that bad at all in terms of comfort agaisnt 18's, and trust me they look SO much better than 18's.

cheers for all the replies, but are my alloys 5x100 or 5x112? how do i find out? its a 2005 tdi:uhm:

Depends on the wheels really for looks, but comfort is definitely a difference on oem suspension, I had my B6 S4 on stock avus 18's & was pretty good, in my wisdom (or rather not) one day thought lets get some 19's, exactly as above rs6 style, man that was a difference, also my S3 8L had 18's, tried 19's within 2 weeks swapped back to 18's & never looked back, another problem is decent roads, potholes etc where 19's will be more susceptible to buckles from personal experience

But if you dont care about comfort & just looks then 19's, if you want best of both 18's, down to personal preference at end of day really, so do what you want not what we advise you to, we only learn by our mistakes but yours to you might not be a mistake.

& think its 112 for 8P isnt it

I say go for 19's - The ride isn't that bad.
If you opt for 18's you'll always be wishing you'd went for 19's as they look so much better imo.

19's fitted on this guys car with -50mm H&R springs....

19.jpg

Im sorry but that looks sweeeeeeeet! :wub:

19's really arent that bad at all in terms of comfort agaisnt 18's, and trust me they look SO much better than 18's.

Its got to be 19s!

I have 18" RS4s and they do look small but my previous car did have 19s...

offset - 5x112 as NHN said!

Here's mines on 18s before i started modding it on the standard s-line suspension set up...

DSC00817.jpg

But from looking at the pic - if it were lowered - dont think they would look that bad!

I have a sport version and will be dropping the car a further 15mm on the eibach pro (30mm). i will play safe though i think and go with 18"s. i don't want any rubbing issues as i do quite frequently have passengers in the rear.

just need to decide whether to go with the RS6s or the S5s .......

makes me laugh how everyone thinks there will be rubbing issues on 19's. my car is decked on coilovers that are wound right down and ive been running on 9x19 et41 with very very very little rubbing!! grow some balls guys! lol

I think you'll find there have been issues with rubbing, we can only advise of some of the pitfulls of doing such things, its a fact having some 19 inch wheels with tyres do rub with some suspension setups, it does help to use the old common sense with these things & research properly, its got nothing to do with having balls at all, just sensibility at end of day.

I had my old Sportback on 19" RS4's first, then changed back to 18's. Both with H & R springs

The RS4's looked great but they did rub a fair bit over speed humps mainly due to the offsets of reps being too close to the wheelarch.

Here's a couple of pics to show the difference

A3002.jpg

P1010346.jpg

Yeah, it was. I sometimes wish I still had it but it was time for a change!

Back OT, all things considered, I did prefer the 18" BBS Calitos. The ride was definately improved and with them being genuine Audi, the quality and finish of the wheels was far superior to the reps.

That was a nice motor matey, were those -50mm H&R? :cool:

Yeah, I think they actually dropped it about 40mm. It did make a huge difference to the look of the car.:thumbsup:

if you get the right size 19's correct widths and offsets and the correct size tyres you'll be fine on 19's, im living proof of that.

Yeah, I think they actually dropped it about 40mm. It did make a huge difference to the look of the car.:thumbsup:

Defo mate, I've just ordered the Eibach Sportline (50/40) kit and some
10mm H&R spacers for the rear. Although i'd have liked 19's i'm sticking with a set of 18" 20 spoke OEM's i've picked up! :yes:

if you get the right size 19's correct widths and offsets and the correct size tyres you'll be fine on 19's, im living proof of that.

Can you give us teh equation or formula or the magic spell then mate? :D

If i go 19's i dont want chaffage :eyebrows:

id say a 8.5x19 ET42 upwards with 225-35/19 or 215-35/19 and your laughing.