19” rims or 18”? Coilovers od sport suspension?

MarijZ

Reaction score
Hey everyone
I want to fit probably 19” wheels on my b6 avant… i want to know what it feels like and if the car looses on power over the smaller wheels… i also want to know if i should stick with the sport suspension or put some coilovers on it… i want the car to be pretty comfortable (i dont mind a little hard ride) and sporty around the bends… what do you guys recommend?

Hi.
I'm a B7 Avant owner but from my experience with alloys wheels and suspension mods, i may be able to direct a small amount of help your way.
B6 and B7 platforms are very similar, well in some areas the same.
19" alloys will fit fine and just try to keep to offsets that are not too outboard, maybe ET33 max to avoid rubbing issues.
8j or 8.5j are ideal with 235/35 19 tyres being an excellent option.
Coilovers are a good option but you will get what you pay for really, go cheap and don't expect miracles, high end kit is very good and well worth the outlay.
If you want to stick with a fixed height setup maybe just get something better such as Bilstein etc with uprated dampers and lowered spring, there are numerous brands out there with various kits to suit your application .
You will be surprised how much more performance orientated you can go and still retain a very good user-friendly comfortable ride quality.

best of luck
Rob

Hi.
I'm a B7 Avant owner but from my experience with alloys wheels and suspension mods, i may be able to direct a small amount of help your way.
B6 and B7 platforms are very similar, well in some areas the same.
19" alloys will fit fine and just try to keep to offsets that are not too outboard, maybe ET33 max to avoid rubbing issues.
8j or 8.5j are ideal with 235/35 19 tyres being an excellent option.
Coilovers are a good option but you will get what you pay for really, go cheap and don't expect miracles, high end kit is very good and well worth the outlay.
If you want to stick with a fixed height setup maybe just get something better such as Bilstein etc with uprated dampers and lowered spring, there are numerous brands out there with various kits to suit your application .
You will be surprised how much more performance orientated you can go and still retain a very good user-friendly comfortable ride quality.

best of luck
Rob
What do you think about sticking with oe sport suspension just refreshing shocks and springs?

I think it would depend on what you have fitted at present and its condition.

Not knowing what is fitted at the moment I can't comment on your suggestion as such , but , if its OE items from new then probably worth starting a fresh as they will be well worn now.
B7 s-line damper /springs are not that brilliant to be honest and most owners find replacing them outright to be the best option, whether B6 setups are any better I don't know not having had that variant.
Do you know what's fitted to your B6 at present?

Reactions: MarijZ
I think it would depend on what you have fitted at present and its condition.

Not knowing what is fitted at the moment I can't comment on your suggestion as such , but , if its OE items from new then probably worth starting a fresh as they will be well worn now.
B7 s-line damper /springs are not that brilliant to be honest and most owners find replacing them outright to be the best option, whether B6 setups are any better I don't know not having had that variant.
Do you know what's fitted to your B6 at present?
Yes, my b6 currently has factory sport suspension

Without any firm indication of age etc I would be inclined to assume the damper/springs are quite old and will be passed their best.
In which case replacing all 4 corners would be a very good option, if you have any way of dating the fitted ones or mileage they have covered that may sway the argument for replacing them etc.
Personally, I'd fit new items either fixed high damper spring combo's for an easy swap, coil overs if you want to get a more custom ride height .

Without any firm indication of age etc I would be inclined to assume the damper/springs are quite old and will be passed their best.
In which case replacing all 4 corners would be a very good option, if you have any way of dating the fitted ones or mileage they have covered that may sway the argument for replacing them etc.
Personally, I'd fit new items either fixed high damper spring combo's for an easy swap, coil overs if you want to get a more custom ride height .
Any suggestions on what to buy? I was thinking just buying bilstein b4 al around and oe sport springs and put 19” on it

sidenote… how do you dm on this forum?

B4's are a direct replacement for the OE items.
It's a personal choice thing but I recently removed bilstein b8's with lowered springs from my B7 avant and they have been outstanding over that last few years, faultless operation and same with handling and comfort etc.
Bilstein B6 and B8's are the same damper internally and have the same end result, the only difference being, b8's are a shorter damper better suited to shorter springs.
Choose your dampers and spring height and you are good to go.
I'm not biased towards Bilstein, i just find they work and work well, for my application, that said , there are many other brands on the market that are just as good and maybe better from other owners perspective.

B4's are a direct replacement for the OE items.
It's a personal choice thing but I recently removed bilstein b8's with lowered springs from my B7 avant and they have been outstanding over that last few years, faultless operation and same with handling and comfort etc.
Bilstein B6 and B8's are the same damper internally and have the same end result, the only difference being, b8's are a shorter damper better suited to shorter springs.
Choose your dampers and spring height and you are good to go.
I'm not biased towards Bilstein, i just find they work and work well, for my application, that said , there are many other brands on the market that are just as good and maybe better from other owners perspective.
Yea will probably go with b6 bilstein and some springs… what springs do you reccomend
04B8830A 5F55 4CF1 878D 9E72470FA32A
i want this kind of height

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Very easy.
Click the icon of the member you wish to message, you will see a tab on the bottom that says " start conversation" just click it and away you go, simple as that :yes:

Here is a pic of my B7 avant a week or so ago with coilovers on.
Is that too low for you.
IMG 3880

The coilovers in the top pic are slightly higher by 5mm , not much i know but does look better in my opinion.

better sideview .
front and rear with coilovers which are about 5mm higher on the rear , B7 quattro's avants tend to be rear low for some reason aswell so this way its nice and level.
IMG 3855
IMG 3856

Or .
bilstein b8's with H&R 45mm drop springs with audi B8 19" alloys.
IMG 1869

Maybe worth keeping in mind, if you go 19" ,tyres tend to become more expensive, not much but maybe a factor.
most run 235/40 on 18" rims or 235/35 on 19" rims.

Maybe worth keeping in mind, if you go 19" ,tyres tend to become more expensive, not much but maybe a factor.
most run 235/40 on 18" rims or 235/35 on 19" rims.
Yea i would like just a tad higher than your coilover setup…

Very easy.
Click the icon of the member you wish to message, you will see a tab on the bottom that says " start conversation" just click it and away you go, simple as that :yes:
I dont have a start conversation button

So if you click my user avatar there is no start conversation tab?

Yea i would like just a tad higher than your coilover setup…
That's the thing with coilovers you have the option to choose your own ride height rather than be controlled by the preset ride heights from fixed setups, that's why i mad the change.
I wanted that ability to set the rear of my avant to the way i wanted it, which is level with the fronts instead of lower all the time.

You could go with B4's and get some better springs but for the minimal extra cost why not just opt for B6's with a spring rating of your choice.

Maybe worth rethinking what you wish to achieve .

Is it to just freshen up things with a similar setup?
or
Replace the tired OE parts with something else that is a bit more sport orientated but retains a user-friendly ride quality?

The two are very closely related but can have a very different end result. :icon thumright: :yes:

Have a look here.
I appreciate you are not in the UK but it may give you a better idea of what combos are available and their spec.
just filter by your car year/model etc and see what is on offer.

Have a look here.
I appreciate you are not in the UK but it may give you a better idea of what combos are available and their spec.
just filter by your car year/model etc and see what is on offer.

Okay will do thanks a ton!!!

Maybe worth rethinking what you wish to achieve .

Is it to just freshen up things with a similar setup?
or
Replace the tired OE parts with something else that is a bit more sport orientated but retains a user-friendly ride quality?

The two are very closely related but can have a very different end result. :icon thumright: :yes:
To sum up what i want… i want a tastefully low car but not too low since roads in my country are meh i want it to be comfy and somewhat good in the bends… dont want it slammed to the ground just factory s-line kind of look if you know what i mean

Reactions: Charlie Farley
hopefully your PM function should be working shortly too, happy to help out anytime . :yes: :icon thumright: