19 RS-Vspoke 255/35 so so noisy!

Paul1973

Reaction score
New member here so hi to all. I'm hoping someone can kindly shed some light on my current issue. So, I've bought some original RS v spoke 19s with Avon 255 35 tyres for my 18 plate 1.4 sport. Little did I know before purchasing that the wheels came from a A4 B8.5 not the B9 so the offset is 43 not 40. When I bought the car it had 18s on so coming from the 18s I expected some extra road noise but dear God I can hardly hear myself think anymore! The tyres are great with 4mm even wear all round but there is a whirring sound that seems to increase as the car accelerates? When I fitted the wheels there appeared to be more than enough room in the arch for the wheels, in fact more than enough! So I'm stumped, I've noticed that all 19s on the B9 seem to only be have 245 tyres so could it be the 255 plus the 3mm offset causing the noise somehow?

Any help/advise would be great? I'm also got a couple of retrofits I've bought parts for but need some help with coding if anyone is in or around west London, I'd be paying of course?

Cheers
Paul

Those Avon’s are really bad for saw-toothing on the rears - esp if the tyres were on a B8 Avant previously.
Run your hand around the tread of the tyres on the inside edge and you’ll feel it. Get some new tyres and it’ll be fine. It’s not the tyre size or the offset that’s the problem

Thanks Pork, that's a new one to me, I'll have a feel tomorrow! Don't suppose you'd know if that is something that would show up while getting the wheels balanced, that was gonna be my next step?

I was starting to panic thinking one might be buckled but the fella was a nice bloke (that ol' chestnut) and he's said no way and he'd take them back if they were!

The tyres would most likely still be in balance, it’s not a vibration as such - more of a resonance thing. Does it sound like a bad wheel bearing, like a hum or a drone?
My B8 had those Avon’s on when I bought it (used from Audi) and I got them to swap them, they had about 5mm tread left but we’re unbearable above 60mph.
I’ve stuck with the Hankooks from new with the B9 and never had an issue, maybe the suspension geometry is better on the B9 but I personally wouldn’t risk fitting Avon’s again - each to their own and all that.
I seem to recall that people who had the same issue have fitted the rear wheels to the front and the problem was less apparent, might be worth a try if you can identify the two tyres with the worst saw-toothing?
I believe the switch to 245 from 255 was emissions led, less rolling resistance on the 245.

The noise defo isn't a bearing noise besides the car has only just past 9k. It's a whirring that is also beating as if when the wheels revolve and get faster, starts at say 5mph at say 35 its just the whirring but louder. I've took the car upto 70ish and there's no shaking just poxy noise. Good shout re the swapping fronts but I'll have to attempt to establish which were the fronts as they were mixed. In my haste to fit them, oddly, I don't recall thinking that any 2 had less tread than the others but as said I was a tad keen to get them on the car. Maybe the bloke swapped them around regularly. Re the 255-245 yep it had to be a economy thing because there is untold room in the arch so then I thought about the extra 3mm offset... But 3mm extra over the hub surely isn't going to cause the amount of noise I'm getting?

Any chance the rim is fouling the callipers?

Those Avon’s are really bad for saw-toothing on the rears - esp if the tyres were on a B8 Avant previously.
Run your hand around the tread of the tyres on the inside edge and you’ll feel it. Get some new tyres and it’ll be fine. It’s not the tyre size or the offset that’s the problem

Just went through this on my friends B8.5 the other week. He had some 4mm Goodyears on the back with the standard s-line twin spoke, something was making a noise at the back (just like you described) and I suggested a bearing might be faulty. We swapped the wheels back to front and the noise travelled with them.

He’s since got some new Goodyears and all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Paul1973
If the rear tracking is out it will also cause the saw tooth and lead to more noise...

If the rear tracking is out it will also cause the saw toothing and lead to more noise...

Reactions: Paul1973
Hi chaps and thanks to all for your replies, sorry about my late response but I've been working like a dog and nights as well!!
As suggested by Pork (cheers fella) I've had a feel and good look at the tyres, they all seem to have the same tread depth in the center lines but what's defo apparent is that theres loads more tread on the outside banks of tread (both on the inner and outer edges) much more than the middle lines of the tyre.

It's weird because the bloke either severely over inflated his tyres or its the way the B8.5 goes through tyres and especially these poxy Avon tyres, causing this sawtooth thingymebob mentioned by Pork.
I can't imagine a bloke who swapped tyres around over inflating the tryes eh?

Cos I bought the wheels/tyres used I can only assume he's been swapping them around regularly as there's no way of telling any difference between front or back but I'll whip them off and see if it's easier to see any difference off the car.

If there's not though it's looking like it's new rubber time which is going to be a nightmare because I've already bought matrix lights for the front and the smoked black edition for the rear and not even been coded yet!
So far my Mrs hasn't realised my expenditure LMAO and given everyone's current situation she'll no doubt be giving me a severe nagging!

While I'm here, can anyone give me some advice regarding the above retrofits I've got planned or point me in the right direction?

Cheers again fellas

Get yourself an obd11, you’ll be able to code yourself which will save some money.

About £50 for the dongle and another £30 for the “pro” app which will allow you to access and edit the coding.

Just went through this on my friends B8.5 the other week. He had some 4mm Goodyears on the back with the standard s-line twin spoke, something was making a noise at the back (just like you described) and I suggested a bearing might be faulty. We swapped the wheels back to front and the noise travelled with them.

He’s since got some new Goodyears and all is well.

Thanks
Get yourself an obd11, you’ll be able to code yourself which will save some money.

About £50 for the dongle and another £30 for the “pro” app which will allow you to access and edit the coding.

Right thanks mate, I tried looking into ODB11 but couldn't find much regarding matrix and rear dynamic retrofit, so I didn't think it could be done with ODB11.

I've bought the rear lights Audi cable adapter set, a different BCM2 that I think is compatible.

Wasn't sure if I need to to change anything else hardware wise for the front?
My car's got the camera