190PS TDI & 50mpg+

Scott.T

Reaction score
Has anyone achieved more then 50mpg.
A 15-20 mile drive that used to see 50-52mpg in my SEAT Leon FR PD170 with Air con off and 48mpg with it on is not achievable in the Audi. This is mixed A road, national limit, and a few villages.

I know at Motorway speeds it takes a bit of a hit.

Driving like Miss Daisy yesterday briefly hit 49.5mpg. I was expecting the newer engine to be more frugal.

My s4 has only starting showing better figures at 12k

So first things first.

The vehicle needs more miles on it. Like most diesels they will only return better fuel after a giving period. They also will return different figures based on how they are driven in their early life.

Secondly in winter fuel at the pumps has diff additives and always performs worse. Think of it as a lessor octane to compensate for diesel going like sludge.

Audis and Mercs tend to have a auxiliary heater to warm the fluids up faster when the exterior temp is below a certain point. I know the Merc has a 2000w blower. Not sure on the exact specifics on the Audi.

And foremost using any form of auxiliary when any diesel vehicle is cold kills the fuel consumption ~(ie heated seats, heater fan/blower, ac etc.)

and remember letting the vehicle idle first thing in the mornings is not advised as standing still produces 0 mpg. Not that I am saying you do this. But its always advised to take it easy for your first few miles.

And last but not least diesels are not as efficient as petrol vehicles in the cold, as they always take longer to get up to operating temp.

Hope that helps.

So first things first.

The vehicle needs more miles on it. Like most diesels they will only return better fuel after a giving period. They also will return different figures based on how they are driven in their early life.

Secondly in winter fuel at the pumps has diff additives and always performs worse. Think of it as a lessor octane to compensate for diesel going like sludge.

Audis and Mercs tend to have a auxiliary heater to warm the fluids up faster when the exterior temp is below a certain point. I know the Merc has a 2000w blower. Not sure on the exact specifics on the Audi.

And foremost using any form of auxiliary when any diesel vehicle is cold kills the fuel consumption ~(ie heated seats, heater fan/blower, ac etc.)

and remember letting the vehicle idle first thing in the mornings is not advised as standing still produces 0 mpg. Not that I am saying you do this. But its always advised to take it easy for your first few miles.

And last but not least diesels are not as efficient as petrol vehicles in the cold, as they always take longer to get up to operating temp.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the info.
I found the aux heater on the MMI and only turn this to 'Auto' when really cold, as the clicking relay that turns it on/off annoys.
I had noticed that MPG in winter was worse, and put that down to the fuel efficiency rather then additive, so good info there.

I'm struggling to break 40mpg + n my TDi 150, mainly due to the nature of my commute. On longer motorway runs I've returned 50+ mpg pretty easily

I see high 40s to low 50s from my 184 on a 15 miles A and B road commute/thrash to work which i think is pretty good. See 60+ on a long ish motorway run.

We're struggling to get 48mpg out of our TDIE 136ps atm.
In summer the dash says 62mpg on the motorway. When it's really 50mpg.

62 plate TDIe 136 with 100k on the clock.. I calc the mpg myself rather rely on the computer and are getting ~43mpg on urban driving including a motorway trip once in a while.. the computer says.. ~50mpg. I've seen the computer say 55mpg on occasion but averaging out across the tank its not consistent.. bit disappointing really..

IMG 2628
a4 170 quattro, you can just make it out, 53.2 mpg. But i had been driving very carefully .

Hey Scott, My A4 is the same as yours and I get low figures at the moment. I've only done around 7K so far and the best I can get on a motorway run is around 45-50 MPG. I was excepting more too.

Hey Scott, My A4 is the same as yours and I get low figures at the moment. I've only done around 7K so far and the best I can get on a motorway run is around 45-50 MPG. I was excepting more too.

Cheers, about the same then. It quite happily sits at 44-46 but yet to see it get 50+.
It's a real challenge to get it 47+ and creeps up dead slow.
But you can soon kill that with a sniff of extra throttle/rpm.

Reactions: Garry Houseman
I know what your saying as my normal commute to work is only 3 miles or so but I use my car a lot for work and drive up and down the country so I'm a bit ****** that its not as good as the dealer and Audi said. I know they exaggerate most figures but was hoping for more then what I'm getting. I got the 190 as I still wanted some power when B roading as oppose to the 150 which is just a motorway engine but hey hopefully this will grow into the 50+ soon :S

I know what your saying as my normal commute to work is only 3 miles or so but I use my car a lot for work and drive up and down the country so I'm a bit ****** that its not as good as the dealer and Audi said. I know they exaggerate most figures but was hoping for more then what I'm getting. I got the 190 as I still wanted some power when B roading as oppose to the 150 which is just a motorway engine but hey hopefully this will grow into the 50+ soon :S
I did the maths on my last 3 Audi and they were all 20-21% under quoted figures.
That was on a 1.8TFSi, 3.0TFSi and the 2.0TDi.

Just done a 322 mile run to Edinburgh and back. 57.8 on the clock. 51.9 at the pumps.
136ps TDIE

I can get well in to the 50s in my remapped 143 bhp multitronic. 70 mph gives 55 plus, sat at 80 gives about 49 to 52 mpg. Obviously takes a hit city driving. It's putting out about 180 bhp after the remap.

I can get well in to the 50s in my remapped 143 bhp multitronic. 70 mph gives 55 plus, sat at 80 gives about 49 to 52 mpg. Obviously takes a hit city driving. It's putting out about 180 bhp after the remap.
Dash or at the pumps?

What size of wheels are people getting? Remember, the bigger the wheel, the less the fuel economy...

I can only get 53.3 mpg and that's running by the wind in neutral when I can, on 12.5 mile trip home from work.

I've just gone from standard 18" S lines to 19" and my economy is about the same to be honest

There will be a difference, but going from 18-19 mightn't be as obvious especially if you have changed tyres/pressures/etc. Generally the bigger the wheel, the wider and heavier. Both of which are bad for fuel economy

Reactions: scotty76
I managed to go from Newcastle to London and back again at the weekend, 605 miles on a single tank! I managed to eek out just over 50mpg for the whole tank which isn't bad considering it was relatively cold and a little damp.

Reactions: ruairi83
I managed to go from Newcastle to London and back again at the weekend, 605 miles on a single tank! I managed to eek out just over 50mpg for the whole tank which isn't bad considering it was relatively cold and a little damp.
If you did 605 miles to 60ltrs (pretty sure the tank is 65ltrs) then you'd be doing 45mpg

If you did 605 miles to 60ltrs (pretty sure the tank is 65ltrs) then you'd be doing 45mpg

Yes, but I didnt't run the tank completely dry! I still had something left in there as I don't run the risk of going completely empty with a diesel

If you get a genuine 50mpg from your 177ps. You're getting the same if not more than my 136ps

If you get a genuine 50mpg from your 177ps. You're getting the same if not more than my 136ps

Yes this was a genuine 50mpg but it was a one-off. Until now my average is around 40mpg and best had been around 47mpg. I was sitting on motorway the whole way with the car in eco mode, no aircon and cruise control set to 70 (ish ;) ) There was a couple of long 50mpg sections on the M1 too which probably helped an mpg or so...

I can only get 53.3 mpg and that's running by the wind in neutral when I can, on 12.5 mile trip home from work.
best off keeping it in gear as the car uses literally no diesel when coasting in gear wheras in neutral it has to keep it running