1st Damaged repairable RS3 i have seen!

Lewbo

Reaction score
come across this damaged rs3 1st one i have seen had a hard smash wonder what it goes for, its very well specced to wish i had the cash to buy lol
Copart

I'd say that was one of Audi's own car going by the OY11.

Doesn't look in good shape regardless! :(

think its defo in need of a lot :sos: to get it back on the road

I saw a grey one, highly specced with minmal mileage, it went for £18000 - Stattler reckoned he could have fixed it for about £5 -£6K. A lot of car but a lot of money for a cat D.

You have to remember though that a lot of cars are written off purely because of extortionate quoting within the insurance industry, a lot of the time the repairs only cost a fraction of that quote and many cars with their crumple zones look far worse than they actually are.

I wish I had big enough dangleys to take a chance on one.

Nicely put: the crumple zone takes it all. There was a Fitth Gear episode once where they bought two used ford focuses (if I recall correctly), one was a patched-up former write-off that was acquired for substantially less money than the other one. A bargain, you would say. Then they did a head-on collision wit the 2 cars running into each other and trust me: you don't want to be in a patched-up car like that. The difference between the 2 cars in deformation of the passenger compartment was substantial, due to the cumple zone having taken a beating before. Unsafe.

Copart - crazy prices paid for junk mostly by eastern Europeans and others, helped by uk being cheapest place for cars in the world with pound being what it is etc..

that will T-Cut out easy.
jokes apart, the car just needs a but of welding with a good lazer jigg and it wiil be as good as new.
by the way do you know how many damaged cars that escape the HPI radars??
you might be driving one.
this car is not badly damaged as its not a frontal collision or a T-BONED car.

I'd say that was one of Audi's own car going by the OY11.

Doesn't look in good shape regardless! :(

Yeah it is or was an Audi launch car as it has "Press Office" number plate backers and OY reg.... Sad but these things happen.

Nicely put: the crumple zone takes it all. There was a Fitth Gear episode once where they bought two used ford focuses (if I recall correctly), one was a patched-up former write-off that was acquired for substantially less money than the other one. A bargain, you would say. Then they did a head-on collision wit the 2 cars running into each other and trust me: you don't want to be in a patched-up car like that. The difference between the 2 cars in deformation of the passenger compartment was substantial, due to the cumple zone having taken a beating before. Unsafe.

Insightful info, they are a gamble these Cat D's! Big game in that instance, whole chassis is likely to be bent.

Doesn't look too bad tbh.

Chassis legs don't look bent.

Agreed - doesn't look that bad tbh. Panels and maybe a repair to the inner leg.

Looks like the suspension was taken off quite cleanly too - I bed the front engine bed is still true. Bit of a gamble for jo public, but for a workshop with a jig and right bits and bobs would be a easy repair.

was up for sale last week or 2 weeks ago, it has obviously been declined because the damage is too severe, cat d is supposed to be light damage cosmetic and parts only c is chassis damage, i purchased my s3 from copart and i did so with 10 years experience in the motor industry i have repaired around 15 of these cars over the years, ranging from water damaged to crash damaged to stolen recovered, it is not a job from the light hearted and there is always more damage than anticipated, i would not consider bidding more than what you will get from selling the engine and the seats nor would i feel confident in driving it at 150mph, keep in mind any chassis variances will likely cause excess tyre wear moreso with the quattro, if anyone wants more tailored advice feel free to pm me

Buy it... strip it... sell on the parts and make a profit :p
that grill is about £600 and the RNSE another £500-600... the rear spoiler, the rear diffuser, 3 good alloys, RS3 flat bottom wheel, buckets, rear bumper with sensors, the led headlight... loads of money just sitting there! and thats before you get into the engine parts and control modules

Very surprised that has been written off if it's under a year old and £45k new. Looks like the wheel/hub has been ripped off and that has done the damage to the door. Unless there's something else we can't see that doesn't look too bad at all?

In practice,almost anything is repairable,depending on costs,but I wouldn't really want that one.

Strange, I'll buy the bucket seats from whoever who want to chop the car, so message me if anyone plans in making money by chopping the car up.
The pic gives me the shivers though, such a pretty little thing looking so hurt.

It's not really worth buying IMHO.. You've gotta raise about 15k from the parts you sell, and that's gonna be a tall order - if you even find people with cash that actually want the bits straight away. You'd need your head examined to want to trust a repaired performance vehicle of this speed back on the road

Unless someone has already mentioned it...THAT wreck is going for 20,000 USD so far. Amazing! I must also reiterate sadly that Audi of America will never give us the RS3/ S3 or anything resembling the pure sexiness of your cars. We can dress our cars anyway we can and you peeps just post a single picture of a dirty S3 or RS3 and our tails go in between our legs.

I hate copart, run by rude greedy people, they had a written off BMW m3 e46 cab of mine it went for nearly book price, one thing worth mentioning once the car has a cat d marker etc dealers will not take it off you nor will most of the public and if they do it's for cheap , totally agree about not trusting putting this one back on the road. Returning to copart a friend of mine owns a big car dismantlers in Kent and he tells me that copart bid up all their auctions a very greedy American company he tells me ,

Another one bites the dust

Above poster is right they do bid up I've seen it first it was bluecycle there will be an alternative soon

Makes you wonder why AUDI didn't retain it if it's a crashed press car, not really a good advert is it!

Thought it worth adding my two penneth as there seems to be quite a lot of different views on what cat C and D are. The most accurate description I can find and agree with is that generally speaking a category C write-off is one where the cost to repair was more than the value of the car and a Category D write off is where the cost of repair is more than 60% of the value of the car.

The category in no way relates to the amount or type of damage other than the cost of repairs, so for example repairing a chassis would be pretty expensive so generally this would go in Cat C.

I have bought and sold many Cat C and D cars and always made the buyer aware of what repairs have been done without any problems, generally I take before and after photos and prices reflect the fact that they are Cat C or D. I'll give a couple of examples of vehicles that I have bought to show what a difference you can get.

Cat D Nissan XTrail 2007 - front end damage, required all front end exterior panels and front panel and chassis leg straightening - horrendous to repair and find parts, won't be buying another one.

Cat C Subaru Legacy 1998 - drivers door window glass and ign lock (no other damage) - parts cost peanuts, made a very cheap runabout.

Cat C A3 2.0 TDI Quattro 2006 - damage down passenger side, all bolt on parts except rear quarter panel - all bolt on parts sourced genuine s/h in correct colour + gen quarter panel. repaired and painted for £5K

So as you can see it's a bit of a lottery but shop carefully and you can find bargains, but as others have said you can get caught out and find more damage than is obvious at first.

From what the general consensus is.. category C/D cars are great if you want something cheap for yourself to run around in, or get a car you couldn't otherwise afford, but don't expect good re-sale as most people are put off and residuals will always be considerably lower.. and you put a lot of trust in someone you don't really know to have repaired the car properly normally to make themselves a profit!!? Not something I would personally risk my money on.

This thing has been up for sale for ages. Can't see anyone buying it to be honest. If you can afford an RS3 you can afford not to be going the Cat D route.

i've had 3 cat c cars

with that rs3 once you remove all the bent bits it wont look bad at all

like ste says its not that bad, plus ive seen cat c water damage so dont rule it out because of a letter