1st gear not as fast as 2nd

simon-s3

Reaction score
Is this common for S3's. I find it seems to hold back in 1st gear (even with traction control off) and when you get into 2nd gear it feels like it accellerates faster than it does in 1st ?

It's not slow, but just doesn't feel like it is getting all the power through, almost like not getting full boost in 1st gear.

Does anyone else get this ?

If not, what could it be ?

I have a 2007 S3 with 7500 miles on it, running Shell Vpower petrol.

I find it hard to believe the 265 BHP claimed, feels more like 225BHP. I did come from a 370 BHP V6 2 seater coupe though which did 0-60 in 4.7, so it could be me missing the extra power still.

My S3 does 0-80MPH in 9 secs, is this about right for a standard one? 0-60's are so hard to do without it bogging down or dumping the clutch at 4k RPM and you need 3rd gear to hit 60MPH, so 2 gear changes is not the best way of doing 0-60 sprints.

Does the GIAC remap bring the boost in early ? I was thinking of getting this done soon. I am Worried about some recent posts on problems with miss-fires and flat spots though.

Think I read somewhere that the Haldex unit holds back the power in first....

It def is 265bhp (or more if you read other posts about standard cars putting out well over this amount!), I came from a 2 old 8L S3's which were remapped to 269bhp and my new one would wipe the floor with them in every way!

Maybe just being 4 wheel drive you don't "feel" the pull so much. My old MY2005 Impreza was running 305 BHP and seem much faster than the S3, especially in 1st gear. Will a remap improve 1st gear ?...what else can be done to help 1st gear.... traction control seem over the top for this car, as unless you dump the clutch at 4k RPM it doesn't seem to cut in, ever. Wheel spin is so rare, even on a wet road. It has never spun the wheels changing to 2nd gear.

Mate of mine did a driving course for 4 wheel drive saloons Etc, he was told to get out of 1st gear ASAP, not sure why. I usually go into 2nd as soon as poss, as it does appear quicker

Mark

I don't think 1st lasts that long anyway, before you need to change up.

Ive had the TC light on a couple of times when ive floord it in 2nd

p

I don't think 1st lasts that long anyway, before you need to change up.

Ive had the TC light on a couple of times when ive floord it in 2nd

p

My TC light only comes on if I switch TC off.

Mate of mine did a driving course for 4 wheel drive saloons Etc, he was told to get out of 1st gear ASAP, not sure why. I usually go into 2nd as soon as poss, as it does appear quicker

Mark

Thats reassuring, I was begining to think my S3 was duff one :wacko:

I never turn ESP off , unless i'm TRYING to launch ( can't do it for the life of me )

Just try flooring it from 4k in second , it dosen't do it all the time , but it gets a bit manic , maybe if your flooring it at the start of second your getting a bit of lag before the power comes in?

p

Even remapped first gear tends to hold back a little, i just short shift then floor it.

Personally i think the ESP on the S3 is pretty much spot on (except launching). I can't think if iv'e ever had the ESP flickering on going through the gears even in the wet. I have had it working overtime when pushed hard in bends though.

I think our cars turbo's are not getting to full boost on first gear. The turbocharger is a bit larger than the K03 on the other 2.0T engines, together with a short gear ratio, making the car accelerate much faster that it can build boost on!

My previous car (Evo), despite having a stock turbo, would not get to max boost unless running in 3rd gear!

I think our cars turbo's are not getting to full boost on first gear. The turbocharger is a bit larger than the K03 on the other 2.0T engines, together with a short gear ratio, making the car accelerate much faster that it can build boost on!

My previous car (Evo), despite having a stock turbo, would not get to max boost unless running in 3rd gear!

This is what I thought too.