1st Official 8V RS3 shots

Completely agree Tej13! I love that fast Audis are generally Avants!

Why should anyone needing practicality have to sacrifice performance...

I'd love BMW to do an 'F81 M3', but not holding my breath! I think they're missing a trick as Audi must be running away with the market?!

Only thing for me is, I'd like Audi to give the option of manual RS cars, but think that may be a thing of the past!!

Every markets a little different, in Aus. I think Audi would be doing themselves, a dis-service if no RS3 sedan, traditionally sport sedans are popular here and recently the hyper and hot hatches. The RS3 & S cover the hatch market pretty well.

As for personal taste, I grew up on sports sedans and got a SB, because of practicality (and price), but I don't like station wagons.

The only saving grace for me, is that rumours here suggest a roughly 30% price premium for a RS3, which it simply far too expensive for me to consider !

If it comes in at 40k in a couple of years there may be some discounts bringing it down to 38ish possibly 37 as it's not going to be limited in numbers that opens up the discounts abit more, I'd quite happily have a PoV spec rs3 and then add things over time like ceramics and I'm guessing seats will appear on eBay at some point

Agreed.. there hasnt been any mention of a limited production run, so one must presume it just standard production for whoever wants one...

I think the 5 pot sounds epic. But probably not epic enough to get me to change over from my S3 which almost looks identical, but my S3 has the right number of doors.

Reactions: The Challinor
Yeah, but I'll keep seeing that bodywork in my rear view mirror of the A45 AMG Black :p

No you won't - you'll be too busy clearing up the sick inside your Merc due to the vile interior ;)

Reactions: Moschops, pat15312 and lee_fr200
Haha I won't care about the interior ;)

(When I'm ahead, in the faster, more rewarding drivers car :p )

Last edited:
Haha I won't care about the interior ;)

(When I'm ahead, in the faster, more rewarding drivers car :p )

You driven a a45 they're not all that
gearchange leaves a lot to be desired the interior looks like a cheap 12-15k car not a 40k plus car

Haters gonna hate ;)

Driving an A45 AMG is an event in itself, all the sensations and sounds, the tactile feedback from the steering and the sheer occasion of the drive. It's one of the few cars that genuinely puts a smile on your face as you're on the edge of grip.

And if that's what you're after, you can forgive the laggy gearbox, tablet interior.

By comparison, my S3 is positively underwhelming, and frustrating to drive on the limits.

Hell, the Golf R is more rewarding to drive than the S3 (and quicker, and has better steering, and better suspension) :)

But the S3 has a lovely interior, as I'm constantly being reminded ;)

Great. I'm glad that's the strongest plus of owning a S3 ;)

But anyway.

As the topic is about the RS3, these are my thoughts, even before I've driven it.

The 5-cyl engine is heavier than the 4-pot. This will do nothing for the already inherent understeery characteristics.

For me to even consider a RS3 purchase - I need more radical bodywork (more flared arches), better under steer management, revised suspension that doesn't feel like broken pogo sticks in each corner. More steering feel would be good too.

I read that as a step towards managing the under steer, they are going to put wider lower profile tyres on the front. Radical ;)

Tweaking the Haldex software will only change so much, at the end of the day, due to the mechanical limitations, you can only ever get 50% of the drive (not torque) to the rear. So, unlike a car with a centre diff, there is no inherent static torque bias ratio in the Haldex setup. The new RS3 will never be rear axle led.

So, for me, as lovely as the 5 cyl engine sounds, if it doesn't drive or handle properly, I'm looking elsewhere. R400 or A45 Black Ed. Maybe RS4.

Last edited:
Honest question, to those talking about the edges of grip, under steer, static torque thingy me bob, does your daily drive consist of brands hatch. Surely if you are buying 300+ bhp cars, that is your main car, that most will never see a track surely the S3 ticks the boxes. You must be driving around like loons if your on the edge of grip on UK roads in an AMG45 or any high powered car.

Love a fast car as the next person but things mentioned above never cross my mind.

Reactions: steeve and SKAVIA
Every day, I get the back out on my S3. ;)

I didn't buy a S3 to sit in the motorway, or to drive at 59mph on an A road. Or to look at mono.pur or the pop up screen.

I bought a S3 to excite my senses, to give me thrills, and to drive the car hard.

The limit of traction is very high on a S3, but the limit of grip is easily reached.

(But I'm not allowed to do it/play with passengers on board.)

Last edited:
068B260E-F924-44B6-B1CB-505AD7C07243-1379-0000038E7F5BB778_zpsf9fe4c22.jpg

B02EBCFE-A081-4DFA-B35F-B5402978DAF0-1379-0000038E73A7BF21_zps0451b933.jpg

Reactions: Pulp84, xssiiv, RYuill and 1 other person
^That looks sensational to be honest. I wasn't keen on the first pics but that looks epic. I'm sure those wheel arches are more flared than standard?

Reactions: Pulp84
I just love it, red did it no favours whatsoever but the blue and nardo is perfect

^That looks sensational to be honest. I wasn't keen on the first pics but that looks epic. I'm sure those wheel arches are more flared than standard?
Agreed. Those arches do,look more flared than 'standard' SB's, but not enough IMHO. It is a RS after all! ;)

Great colour, crap wheels on the pics above

But anyway.

So, for me, as lovely as the 5 cyl engine sounds, if it doesn't drive or handle properly, I'm looking elsewhere. R400 or A45 Black Ed. Maybe RS4.

If you are looking for real drivers car, which excite you, shouldn't you be looking outside the cars mentioned above. :)

Nardo is a great colour.

Haldex wouod put me off though, even though it's apparently a better version than in the S3.

If you are looking for real drivers car, which excite you, shouldn't you be looking outside the cars mentioned above. :)

I want one in this segment.

It's not hard, they managed it with the Fiesta ST, Megane RS, Focus RS to some extent.
Cayman would be nice, but my skis don't fit in.

I want one in this segment.

It's not hard, they managed it with the Fiesta ST, Megane RS, Focus RS to some extent.
Cayman would be nice, but my skis don't fit in.

now if they made a 4 door Cayman, that didn't carry the usual Porsche premium down-under now we're talking, my apologies if OT

My prediction came true - Nardo and black pack looks the nuts!!

I don't understand how those arches look bigger in the snow photos, because here's a RS3, in the same colour ....

(unless they used a super wide lens on the video cam which distorts it)

IMG_8612.jpg

IMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8613.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures of the car at a show might be pre-production?

Certainly bigger arches on the snow pictures. Unless it's going to be an option :audibash:

C  Data Users DefApps AppData INTERNETEXPLORER Temp Saved Images 9956
I'd agree that Nardo Grey is an Improvement over the original Release Pics in Red, but those 2tone Alloys look well tacky!
Could be worse I guess, they could be like this Pic! A-Team style!

Unless it's going to be an option :audibash:

I did read that there would be an option for wider front tyres only (to counter the understeer haha) ..... so that might be it.

But then to only flare the front arches, and make them larger than the rear arches, is styling suicide !

YoiELSS.jpg

ao9Cpow.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what equipment will come as standard?

Ive been having discussions with my dealer on that very same question.

The word is not much! Obviously all the styling tweaks and performance upgrades but it will be very similar to an S3. Apparently LED headlights might be standard on it as Audi (like BMW / Mercedes) will be making them standard on higher end equipment levels.

Dealer referred to the RSQ3 - the spec on that is pretty spartan over a s-line Q3 so I was told not to expect much!