2.0 TDI A1 Pulling left.

Scottyp101

Reaction score
Hey all.

I recently acquired an A1 2013 / 2.0 TDI 140bhp version (only had it a few weeks) and it seems to slowly drift to the left should I take my hand off the wheel. This seems.. abnormal? I've never experienced this with any other car before. It does not stop me driving the car, I feel in control of it's movement the entire time, but if it can be fixed i'd rather feel safer than sorry.

Here's what I've done so far to try and rectify the issue.

- I have had it aligned very recently.
- I've swapped the tyres and alloys around on the vehicle (18 Inch Alloys, could this be the problem? Are these alloys too big?).
- I've had a health check and mechanical inspection by a private garage (They can't seem to find any mechanical faults with this car at all) AND!
- I've had a health check and mechanical inspection by Audi/VW themselves. They also said in their inspection that the car has no mechanical faults and don't understand why it could slowly go left*?

Somewhat at a loss here and unsure what it could be.

*One final note, the tyres on the car at 225/40/18 and Audi said they do not personally recommend these tyres and that I should go with 225/35/18 but can 5mm really make that huge of a difference between a car going straight and slowly turning left?

Appreicate any response and if anyone else has ever experienced this.

Update to this: It was infact the tyres! I got 2 new ones on the front and now its driving great. Very odd solution but it worked!