2.0 TDI BKD - Blue smoke on startup with clicking sound

Rideen

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Here's another BKD problem thread.

Lately, my car has developed several issues which are driving me mad. One of them is that when I start the car in the morning it works fine for a couple of seconds, then a clicking noise starts happening and puffs of blue smoke start appearing from the exhaust. After about 10-20 seconds the smoke is gone and the car does not smoke anymore at all.

When I open the oil filler cap a lot of blue smoke comes out, the cap is VERY hard to open when engine is running (almost like vacuum is holding it down) but once opened it starts doing this:

The plastic cover where crankcase breather hose comes out is all covered in oil but the pipe leading from plastic cover to the intake pipe is not blocked at all.

Do these cars have PCV valve and where is it? Is it integrated into the plastic part on top of the cylinder head? Could the blue smoke be a faulty injector which does not operate properly until heated up? Why does the engine keep "clicking" during the smoke periods? It also clicks but quieter when driving and certain amount of accelerator input is provided.

Car also develops a very high pitched hissing noise (sounds metallic but could be air) on certain loads as well and does not pull as it used to. This seems to be related to engine load, happens at very high RPM in idle and around 2000 rpm when driving, constantly disappears if I floor the car though. Also happens when going downhill in-gear at about 2000 rpm.

Any help and advice is really appreciated!

Smoking can happen due to the exhaust cam not ending aligned properly, retiming the engine would help with this.

Smoking can happen due to the exhaust cam not ending aligned properly, retiming the engine would help with this.

Thank you very much Aqibi, a mechanic told me something very similar yesterday as well! Basically since I have changed cylinder head, cams and valves, he suspects the new cam is reinforced or slightly different to my old one and that it could cause smoking.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is the first instance i've found of someone also having high pitched hissing/metallic noise. I also have blue smoke, but only on initial boost from stationary & lower speeds.

When checking via stethoscope, hissing wasn't heard from turbo.

@Rideen Did you ever establish root cause for your issues?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this is the first instance i've found of someone also having high pitched hissing/metallic noise. I also have blue smoke, but only on initial boost from stationary & lower speeds.

When checking via stethoscope, hissing wasn't heard from turbo.

@Rideen Did you ever establish root cause for your issues?

Unfortunately I have never found out what used to cause these issues on my car. I sold the car about 10 days after making this thread. :(

Ah that's a shame. Thank you anyway for coming back to me :grinning:

No problem mate! If you manage to find out what is causing this, post here as it might help someone in the future (and I am very curious as this was the very reason I sold the car!) :grinning: