2.0 tdi (bkd) cold rough idling, warm not

tonymontana

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a new member here on forum. I have a bit trouble with my Audi A3 8p. It is 2.0 tdi (bkd) 2003 140HP.
I have a problem with rough idling. It appears every morning or if car stays all day. After that I startup the car it seems good, then after 2 minutes come a little idling. Then again it seems good for 5 minutes. Then comes rough idling-shuddering for about 4 minutes. RPM gauge is bouncing, and the engine is like something cutting off it. This is always happening when is car in neutral and stay for few minutes (about 10 for example). When it starts to shaking, the temperature gauge is always between a little after first line (50 degrees) and second line. Then after 4 minutes shaking and idling it comes everything okay and work normal. It seems that idling dissappear after warming a bit.
If I drive the car when it starts shaking engine, everything suddenly dissappear even if I stop at the traffic-light, no more idling.
When it is hot, never idling.

I suspect to Coolant temperature sensor or EGR. My friend told me that EGR delete (software +blank) would resolve that problem with idling.

I will be thankful if someone had a similar problem and solved it succesfully :)

Kind regards,
Alen

Could be lots of things, anything to do with the induction system or electrics, glow plugs and glow plug wiring, egr valve. I had this on my Golf 1.9pd some years ago, just a gentle shaking of the engine on it's mountings, never did find the cause but the car run OK when hot so wasn't really bothered.