2.0 TDI boost gauge install

MA3TDIQ

Reaction score
Hi team,

I am looking for some advice regarding the installation of a mechanical boost gauge for my 2.0 TDI 170.

I was interested in the vent gauges -the analogue ones look quite nice.

Anyone have any recommendations about which vent gauge is good?

Also is there an easy way to install them? Is there a picture guide available?

Thanks for your help!!

Oh believe me it won't be an easy job. Mechanical requires a hose to be run to the engine bay and tapped somewhere between turbo and intake manifold.

very easy to do

just as keram said above the pipe work in to engine bay and T piece

Thanks for replies so far,

I am aware of having to put a cable to engine bay but where is best to put it?

Also what parts do I need to buy to do this install? Any pictures?

Also any advice re boost vent gauges?

Last edited:
In turbo petrol you can tap easily into existing small boost pipe. TDI doesn't have such, that's the problem. People on forums just drill holes in inlet pipes, but you can go any way you think is easier for you.

In turbo petrol you can tap easily into existing small boost pipe. TDI doesn't have such, that's the problem. People on forums just drill holes in inlet pipes, but you can go any way you think is easier for you.

That sounds tricky! Does anyone have any experience with this?

Anyone up in Scotland who would be able and willing to help withy this mod for my TDI?

Iv been there and done it mate!

On the TDI you need to tap into the boost pipe at the front like I have!

Unless your going down the road of EGR delete in which it will have its own boost connection!
Hope this helps!

Reactions: benjibarnicals, A3shabs, tdi-man and 1 other person
That looks like a nice guage Minidak!

What guage is it and where can I buy it? Do you really get boost pressure up to 2.0 Bar?

Is it easy to route the cables through the vents?

Cheers mate it's a 60mm Pro Gauge, they're about £50 on eBay!
You'll also need an osir TT vent mount!

It's not under boost in that pic I took that during the needle sweep! Lol mine peaks at around 1.7 bar!

K thx it looks great!

Would you be willing and able to help with install if I buy the kit-i don't think I'm confident enough yet with these kind of mods on my own...

is the boost pipe connection the same on a 2011 2.0tdi ?

K thx it looks great!

Would you be willing and able to help with install if I buy the kit-i don't think I'm confident enough yet with these kind of mods on my own...

I can certainly try talk you through it of course mate!

is the boost pipe connection the same on a 2011 2.0tdi ?

I couldn't definitely say without seeing but if there's a thick black pipe like that and the front in the middle going into the egr/asv then I guess it's the same!

What bolt did you use to tap into the pipe? Does it come supplied with the boost gauge or need to buy it separately?

Still haven't installed my boost guage as I'm not sure how to tap into the boost pipe-anyone available in Edinburgh willing to help install it?

Reactions: sambryant
Boost

I have EGR delete which has an outlet to take pipe from

So I have had a look at the front of my engine and I have found the pipe that I need to tap into as per mindak's post above-how best do you tap into it? Anyone able to give some advice? Cheers

Also how and where do you run a cable from the engine bay into the cabin with the 8p a3? Plenty of videos on YouTube showing how to do it with different cars..

Have a look at this mate. Don't be scared. Just do it :) I'm going to get on this train soon. Looks the nuts
http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=8526

Thanks for posting the link-very useful indeed-might have to give this mod another go now- the only thing I'm not sure about is how to get the wipers off to lift up the plastic cover?

Is it possible to feed the wire coat hanger from the other side?

Undo the nuts off the wipers, pour boilinf water over them and wiggle, magic happens and they should come off

I took my glove box out and in the top right theres a rubber gromit that goes to the engine bay I attached the vac pipe to a long screw driver I poked it threw

I've never understood why the driver would want to know this info, can someone enlighten me please?

It is useful to check the pressure made by the turbo. Especially with remaps.
To make sure the turbo boosts properly, to see if it over boosts or does not make enough boost.

It is useful to check the pressure made by the turbo. Especially with remaps.
To make sure the turbo boosts properly, to see if it over boosts or does not make enough boost.

Ok so by deduction that means a turbo will create X PSI of boost depending on what the ECU asks for?

In my mind the turbo just made a fixed Y PSI of boost that didn't change...

I've never understood why the driver would want to know this info, can someone enlighten me please?

because it looks good when you put your foot down :)

Reactions: tdi-man and Sayam
Ok so by deduction that means a turbo will create X PSI of boost depending on what the ECU asks for?

In my mind the turbo just made a fixed Y PSI of boost that didn't change...

No, the turbo doesn't produce constant boost.
The boost varies depending on what ECU asks. Also the boost varies if the vanes are stuck or the pipes are leaking...

Reactions: tdi-man
No, the turbo doesn't produce constant boost.
The boost varies depending on what ECU asks. Also the boost varies if the vanes are stuck or the pipes are leaking...

Guess I got some reading to do lol

I assume the ECU knows what the 'max' boost a given turbo can produce is and knows not to ask for more than that?

In theory. In reality the boost is not depending only on what the ecu asks.
As i said, if the turbo vanes are stuck, the boost will be different than what the ecu asks.
It may "see" this and will go in limp mode.
If a boost pipe is leaking, again, you wont get what ecu asks...

Reactions: Sayam
I took my glove box out and in the top right theres a rubber gromit that goes to the engine bay I attached the vac pipe to a long screw driver I poked it threw

Any pics of exactly where this grommit is?

I ran my cables alongside the bonnet pull on driver side, force it through the same grommet and reach up under the dash for it!

Installed my boost gauge and not getting as much boost as I should !:(

Quick question thoug, when my gauge seems to go above about 0.8-1 bar my warning light comes on ?

Yea my gauge does that, used to it now and don't even notice it from where I'm sat! Lol

That alright then ! Any wonder why it does it ?

Just out of interest how much boost do you get ?

Hi lads I have just bought a boost gauge that has 4 wires.. yellow, red, orange and black.

Black- earth
Red - constant 12v
Orange - 12v ignition
Yellow not a clue

Or am I completely wrong. Please could you help on where I connect each wire.

I havent got a clue