2.0 tdi Engine Noise Increased

Mo01

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I got the car booked in to the dealers for next week but just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I was "enjoying" the car yesterday and as I pulled up home I realised my car sounded alot louder when Idle, a bit like an old diesel engine on a cold start. (Like a tapping noise)

Tried it this morning and throughout the day and the noise is still there.

When accelerating or driving its fine however when idle or coasting its really noticeable.

Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks

Not sure, I have driven other diesels and none have indicated this, also driven a diesel b9 a4 and also never seen any other indication aside from fans running, heat coming from under the car and a very 'old school' noisey diesel engine noise...

Okay, I may call Audi assist just for peace of mind.

Reactions: cuke2u
My 3.0tdi B8.5 A4 had nothing on the dash but the symptoms you've described when it was doing a regen. The stop-start also deactivated and when the car was turned off you could sometimes hear the fans still going and had a slight burning smell. I wouldn't worry about it to be honest.

The DPF regen always makes me laugh because it kind of defeats the point of having a diesel when it's having to burn extra fuel, not use the stop-start, and then also continuing after the car is turned off...

Reactions: rnm37
You will know when the car is doing a regen when the revs sit at 1k and not the normal below 1k, as well as the fans etc

Just had an update for the dealers. Apparently there is 2 separate knocing noises one around the frontof the engine and the second around the back.

Tech has advised he removes the cam covers and checks the cams and possible realign. However they want £300 for this!

Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?

Just had an update for the dealers. Apparently there is 2 separate knocing noises one around the frontof the engine and the second around the back.

Tech has advised he removes the cam covers and checks the cams and possible realign. However they want £300 for this!

Wouldn't this be covered under warranty?
I would have thought so, yes.

Too damm right, what car have you got Mo01?

It's a 2.0tdi 190.

When the dealer called to notify me there maybe charges (£300 to realign cams) I advised them not to carry out anywork until I authorise it as I dont believe £300 for something that should be done under warranty is fair.

I was told by the service advisor that she would check and calle me back however its been 3 days and still no call back.

I called for an update yesterday and was told I'll get a call back but still nothing.

It's a 2.0tdi 190.

When the dealer called to notify me there maybe charges (£300 to realign cams) I advised them not to carry out anywork until I authorise it as I dont believe £300 for something that should be done under warranty is fair.

I was told by the service advisor that she would check and calle me back however its been 3 days and still no call back.

I called for an update yesterday and was told I'll get a call back but still nothing.
I'd get onto Audi UK Customer Service.

My car always seems to run a dpf regen as I pull in to my driveway

Update:

Basically the belt had slipped and missed a tooth which knocked the engine timing out. So Audi replaced all belts and tensioners.

All work was carried out under warranty however I didn't receive a job sheet is this now normal? As I know all services are now recorded online.

Valve timing? Mmm, surprised the engine even ran or they self destructed on to the pistons. Thats a novel excuse..

Basically the belt had slipped and missed a tooth which knocked the engine timing out. So Audi replaced all belts and tensioners.
hmm, do you happen to still own a video how did it sound?
I had a brand new timing done at 65k miles and since then i was driving kinda dynamic/aggressive. Not sure if my timing belt could have slipped.
2.0 TDI here audi A6 C7 CGLC enginge

@nomad90 Have you managed to resolve the problem? I am in very similar situation. Had timing belt & aux done with Audi and since then engine is noticeably louder

Hi, readingvthe above is worrying.

Had my a6 2.0 ultra diesel for 367 days now. Audi replaced cam belt and did service about 1500 miles ago. Cam belt changed due to be 5 years old. 32000 on the clock.

The car is very keen on dpf cleans. Sometime I only know it's doing one when I turn the engine off on my driveway. Stupid idea not letting me know so I can carry on driving. Its started one after driving 1.8 miles before now.

Got in car today and could hear a ticking noise every few seconds. opened bonnet and it sounded awful. Ticking noise.

took it straight to audi and they connected diagnostics machine as they didn't know what the noise was. Said dpf was in progress.

I drove it home and the engine noise is srill terrible. Really loud fast ticking.

Will drive again soon and hopefully the noise will dissappear but if it is a misaligned Cam belt that is very worrying.