2.0 tdi MPG

Bongo163

Reaction score
I'm consistently getting very low 40 mpg from my A3 2.0 tdi DSG. Even on long motorway runs.. Does this seem reasonable or can anyone suggest what may be wrong. cars done 63K miles.

Heavy foot?

Mine normally gets 48+ on motorway sometimes low 50's. In town its still pushing 40MPG.

I get around 43 round town haven't done much motorway driving but when I have I have I have got a very low MPG simply bcos my foot gets very heavy!

I normally get around 48mpg from my TDI. I don't do very much motorway driving these days, but when I go on holiday to Austria via France and Germany my mpg goes up to around 52mpg. Virtually the whole of the journey is on motorway at around 80-90mph in France and around 100-110mph on the derestricted streches on autobahn in Germany.

I think the key to this higher mpg is being able to maintain a fairly constant speed, something I try on the motorway in the UK but it's usually so busy it not easy.

I'm getting 40mpg,but I hardly ever get the chance to cruise.

Mixture of slow moving traffic and foot-down country roads.

40mpg looks good,in isolation,but it's still 9-10mpg less than my 1.9tdi A4,under absolutely identical driving conditions.

Not a big deal,as I don't pay for the fuel,but a bit baffling all the same.

[ QUOTE ]

40mpg looks good,in isolation,but it's still 9-10mpg less than my 1.9tdi A4,under absolutely identical driving conditions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that the 20% power increase on your new car is probably responsible for the 20% decrease in economy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would guess that the 20% power increase on your new car is probably responsible for the 20% decrease in economy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean a 7% increase in power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

See my other post. I drive mainly motorway and i'm getting 52mpg. I normally drive around 75 ish.

Your A4 was 115 or 130? If it was the 130 it's actually 16.92 % based on the lowest dyno reading I've seen for an A3. 32.17% if it was the 115

Back at ya...

[ QUOTE ]
Your A4 was 115 or 130? If it was the 130 it's actually 16.92 % based on the lowest dyno reading I've seen for an A3. 32.17% if it was the 115

Back at ya...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't tally.

You're saying I shouldn't believe the Audi's claim of 140bhp for the A3,and that it will actually be making more,but I should believe their claim of 130bhp is completely accurate for the A4 ?

That doesn't make sense.

If both of Audi's claims are equally inaccurate,then the increase in power between the '130' A4 and '140' A3 is still around 7%-8%

A3 claimed 140bhp
Actual 156bhp

A4 claimed 130bhp
Actual 144bhp

Difference between 144bhp and 156 bhp = 8%.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Back at ya...

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't tally.

You're saying I shouldn't believe the Audi's claim of 140bhp for the A3,and that it will actually be making more,but I should believe their claim of 130bhp is completely accurate for the A4 ?

That doesn't make sense.

If both of Audi's claims are equally inaccurate,then the increase in power between the '130' A4 and '140' A3 is still around 7%-8%

A3 claimed 140bhp
Actual 156bhp

A4 claimed 130bhp
Actual 144bhp

Difference between 144bhp and 156 bhp = 8%.

[/ QUOTE ]

My figures were based on what I know. Of the A3s that have been dynod the lowest stock has been 152bhp, the highest was an almost unbelievable 165bhp.

My old Golf 130 was dyno'd at 131bhp

[ QUOTE ]
See my other post. I drive mainly motorway and i'm getting 52mpg. I normally drive around 75 ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Avg 56.5mpg on my trip round the M25 last Friday (Cambridge to Croydon)- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif very pleased although it was a clear run and little wind. Again, kept it to about 75mph (according to Road Angle which was about 82mph according to Audi Speedo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif ). Had just polised car at the weekend mind you!

Very interesting.

Are the torque figures quoted by Audi for the 2.0 TDI similarly conservative ?

My car averages about 50-55mpg on it's regular 100 mile round trips to Cambridge and that's doing 75-85 on the A14 and its remapped to 190bhp and 290lb ft.

Even when really pushing it I've never seen below 42mpg.

Maybe I'm just easy on the throttle?

Most of the torque figures on the std 2.0TDi that I've seen are around 5% up on Audi's quoted figures, about 245lb ft or so.

off subject but a quick question mikep,

what figures did you have at the wheels for your car,im asking as ive always been a little bit curious with my remap,

when i had it on a rolling road they told me 132bhp at the wheels,no flywheel figs because of the auto,it should be around 175ish at the flywheel,but im not sure how to work out the losses,if i know what you had on yours ill have a better idea?.

tinka, reading straight from the Stealth dynoplot summary sheet:

power at the wheels: 161.6bhp at 3843rpm

power measured at flywheel: 189.2bhp

power (corrected) 187.7bhp

power loss(transmission, tyres etc): 27.6bhp (17.1%)

max engine torque(corrected): 293.9lb ft at 3010rpm

Max engine speed reached: 4597rpm

Temp Min Max 21/25 celsius

Barometric Pressure: 1028Mb

That's Revo Stage 1, Stage 2 is 203bhp and 287lb ft, but I don't have the detailed plot for that run. I tend to use Stage 1 most of the time as its the best balance of performance and economy (with diesel at 95p a litre!)

Hope this helps...

mikep,

thanks very much thats a great help,
as i feared,with transmission losses at roughly the same as yours,im getting 159 bhp,which could mean ,as i suspected the remap never took,or the rolling road test wasnt accurate,they only gave approx flywheel figs,and they was'nt to familiar with the dsg,it was done at power engineering in uxbridge by the way,

i think im gonna have to find a good rolling road and have it tested again,unless i go back to rsd,which was a fair distance,im going to have difficulty knowing if it ever loaded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Am getting around 50mpg mainly foot down open country road driving

>Had just polised car at the weekend >mind you!

...I swear cars KNOW when they're been cleaned you know!

My cars always seem to run better and be more efficient when cleaned and polished!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

One Team

[ QUOTE ]
>Had just polised car at the weekend >mind you!

...I swear cars KNOW when they're been cleaned you know!

My cars always seem to run better and be more efficient when cleaned and polished!

One Team

[/ QUOTE ]

so it's not just me that thinks that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

Shell Extra is 96.9 here, btw i get 45-50mpg on my 1.9TDi quatty and 50mpg on 2.0TDi

I think mine is below most of these MPG's. Long term the DIS is showing 41.6 - most journeys hover around the 42 mark.

Furthermore, when I changed to 18's the economy certainly got worse - unsprung mass?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm consistently getting very low 40 mpg from my A3 2.0 tdi DSG. Even on long motorway runs.. Does this seem reasonable or can anyone suggest what may be wrong. cars done 63K miles.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the REVO remap I get a consistent 55mpg (DIS) @75-80 on the motorway for my 75 mile commute. Brim to brim refills over the last 9,000 miles since the remap was done at the 6,000 mile mark show the real consumption to average 48.9mpg.

Seeing as it goes like F*** now too, I reckon that is PDG. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif