2.0 TDI seems sluggish

L333fow

Reaction score
I have a 2007 2.0 tdi 140 and I have searched but can't seem to find anything relevant.
i have had the egr off but was pretty clean.
anyway, I have come from driving focus st and tt prior so may just be me but the car seems not to set off and pull as a diesel should.
needs a bit to set off and you can't set off in second nor roll on just clutch which with being diesel I thought was possible even my vivaro van pulls better!
Then when you get going there doesn't seem to be any decent pull until second!

any ideas or is it just how the car is?

Its how it is, remap it and it will be the car you were expecting and how it should come from the factory.

does ur car have a dpf? dpf-off and remap would lead to a completely different power delivery, much like what u'd expect it to be. Without dpf, just the remap should do the job.

I blocked the egr off on my car, however this will lead to an engine light coming on with most cars some don't tho. After i blocked it off the turbo became much more responsive and i had much better low end power.

Should be a bit pokier than you describe. First thing would be to get it on VCDS and check for any faults. Else it's just a guessing game

No doesn't have dpf.
as much as I'd like a remap its primarily the wife's car and she ain't too bothered we are more bothered about mpg ha.
plus insurance etc!
I was just wondering if there was any known problems that would cause it!

Cheers

No engine faults on vcds! Was tempted to get in on a rolling road see what it's actually outputting

Also remapping it would increase economy too, bare that in mind.

I found the new CR 140 being very refined and well put together, 07 are still PD try to check your injector as they may need replacing, remmember after I did mine PD 170 the car pulled better on 1st gear and was much more refined overall.

Should be better than what you describe. My previous car was a Leon Cupra 20VT 180bhp remapped to around 200-205bhp and the Audi initial grunt of acceleration feels similar to that.
My 140 has now got the DTUK box and tbh I doubt there's a lot in it. It's estimated around 170 bhp but a lot more torque.

Perhaps a mild boost leak.

funny you should say that because I have noticed it does 'dump' now I was led to believe they way diesels work they don't dump air like petrols? But there is definatly a release of air but its not noticeable when stationary

funny you should say that because I have noticed it does 'dump' now I was led to believe they way diesels work they don't dump air like petrols? But there is definatly a release of air but its not noticeable when stationary

DV maybe?

No that's the waste gate you can hear, diesels don't have a DV because they have no throttle flap to create a differential in pressure

Right I currently have a courtesy car from audi, a a3 sport back tdi not 100% sure of the exact engine but this is loads better!
It is near impossible to stall where as mine does easily ( diesels hard to stall) it pulls away a lot better in first and even get the traction to kick in!
So I'm now thinking there is defiantly something wrong with mine! Even if this engine is the 170 surely the difference isn't that much

You could always time it 0-60 and see what it comes up with in relation to standard times?

My mate had this problem and the way he solved his (Not at all technically minded) was to drive it and then put his foot full down on the accelerator so it blew out black smoke and the revs went right over into the red!!

It seemed to clean out the injector which must have been blocked....its been brilliantly responsive ever since!

Right I can confirm that the courtesy car is a 2.0tdi so same as mine unless anyone knows if there are any differences in engines from 2007-2012??
There is definatley a problem with mine

Totally different engine mate ! Yours is a BKD 140 direct injection - 2012 is a 140 common rail with dpf. don't just know the code.