2.0 TDi weeping oil, pics inside...

pdv40

Reaction score
What is this pipe that is weeping oil?

P1000148.jpg

P1000145.jpg

When I bought the car, Audi Bromley had left the oil cap off when I took it for a test drive, so the foam on the underside of the engine cover was soaked in oil. It's always weeped oil in the area pictured. I don't know if its from the pipe or dripping from the bottom of the engine cover, which I've cleaned numerous times. Should I be concerned about it?

T.I.A

Pete :icon_thumright:

P.S. Please excuse my dirty bay, but it's cold and wet outside :sorry:

Last edited:
Isnt that the EGR? but it looks like the oil has come from over it not inside it,if that makes sense.Have you taken the plastic engine trim off the top to see if you can actually pin-point where or if its coming from there or like you said if its the spilled stuff

looks like the oils coming from above the pipe join to the egr valve.would give the engine cover a good clean or even replace iti

Pdv140, you might try this. Take off the engine cover, the car will run just fine without it. Place the engine cover on a level floor on top of some newspaper. Leave it for a few days, and see if any oil drains onto the newspaper. That will tell you if the source of this oil is simply contamination of the underside of the cover. Meanwhile, with the engine cover off, clean all around the affected area, and then examine the area after a few days of driving, to see if there is any oil escaping from a pipe or gasket. That should determine where this oil is comming from. Let us know how you get on.

Looks like part of the intake piping, there shouldn't be oil in there and if there was residual oil in there it wouldn't be under any pressure, my money would be on oil coming of the previously soaked engine cover!

Cheers for all your suggestions guys, I'll get it cleaned up and run it without the cover for awhile to see what happens.

Thanks again.

So it turns out its still old oil dripping out of the foam on the engine cover, nothing coming from the pipe at all.

In other news, was at my dealership this weekend for a sales event and parked my A3 up on the forecourt. I came out to it to go home and there was a very confused looking salesman standing with a couple who wanted to buy it :)