2.0 TFSi Best engine for petrol heads / my journey to get there!

RSgeoff

Reaction score
Welcome to my first thread !

I'm a petrolhead who'se owned about 40 performance cars over the last 25 years, and predominantly 13 Mitsubishi Evo's over the last 13 years (II GSR - VIII MR and most in-between). I've also had to have a company car over the last 13 years so have had several of 2.0TDis (A4 / S40 / New Passat) at the same time (Evo used for weekends / sprints etc).

Recently (in April) I changed job meaning the company car went, allowing me to buy my own car. So I wanted 1 car to replace both the Evo VII and the Company car (New Passat).

It had to be: Quick / ideally 4WD / decent on economy (mid 30's+) / Good looking / Room for 2 adults & 2 kids / manual box.

Wasn't sure whether to get 2nd hand, but then decided upon new.

I test drove the A4 2.0TDi (177) Black Edition first. Loved the car but underpowered and didn't like the FWD.

Next was an A5 2.0TDi (177) Quattro black edition coupe. As above, loved the car even more, in fact I think this model is stunning, loved the Quattro drive train, but still too slow. Had to rule out the 3.0 TDi out due to price and the fact they don't do it in a manual, so asked for a test drive of a 2.0TFSi - but they couldn't get one in !!

In the intervening weeks I tried a Volvo S60 R Design D5. This was superb on performance, but not so nice on looks and also FWD.

Then took out a BMW 320i X drive. Didn't think much of this at all (Compared to the A4/5).

Then took out a Mercedes C220 TDi AMG Sport plus. Nice but still not quick enough, and seats not very nice, and not as desirable as the A5.

Then took out a 3 month old Golf R. Loved it, but too expensive for what it was and not as good looking as the A5.

After 6 weeks and visiting 3 different Audi dealers, one of them finally got me a 2.0 TSFi to test drive - OMG, as much as I was underwhelmed with the 2.0TDi 177, I was overwhelmed with this. I've had many 200 - 400 bhp cars over the years so couldn't believe this was only 211. Why was it so quick? As the car was a p/x and a few years old I suspected a remap so held off and eventually the dealers got a brand new one in for me to test. Same performance again, so it had to be the full 258 lb/ft at 1500 rpm which was making the car far quicker than the bhp suggested.
The only worry I had was the mpg figures after reading some horror stories on the forums.

Mind was made up so an order was placed for a new A5 2.0 TFSi Quattro Black Edition coupe (211/258). I've now had it 6 weeks / done 3000 miles and to say i'm happy is an understatement.
It ticks every box that I originally wanted:-

Quick
Looks stunning
Seats 4
4WD
Manual box
Decent MPG

Yes, as said i've been monitoring the mpg on every tank, including filling up and working it out correctly, and after 3,000 miles i'm averaging low 30's. Highest i've had on a 100 mile run (Half A1 / half back roads in N. Yorks) was 40 mpg. On a run I average 35-40 mpg and around town high 20's.
I'm also astonished that this is the first car i've had where the MFD MPG figures are very accurate. Normally they are way out.

And if you're wondering about my driving style i'm like Jekyll & Hide. Will drive like a granny at 68 mph on A1, then have a bit fun on the twisties / overtaking where I can etc.

This is the car that's finally got me away from Evo's - not as quick, but so much better in many areas.

(oh and in an ideal world I would have had an S5 Black Edition but that is well out of my price range).

I was considering holding on the for the new S3 saloon but couldn't wait!!

The only thing i'm gutted about is that i've just found out that in May they changed the Engine from 211 to 225bhp on my car - if i'd have known that I would have waited 2 more weeks to order the car.

So my main point is:- The 2.0TDi 177 feels far less powerful than it suggests and the 2.0 TFSi 211 feels far more than it suggests.

Attachments

• P5190001.jpg
    P5190001.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,512
  • P5190008.jpg
    P5190008.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,101
  • P5250043 (Large).jpg
    P5250043 (Large).jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 758
  • P5250032 (Large).jpg
    P5250032 (Large).jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 816
  • P5250026 (Large).jpg
    P5250026 (Large).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 842
Last edited:
Reactions: mister.c., ScottishA4B9 and T-800
Welcome. Nice post - pretty much sounds like my ideal car right now. I'm currently in an older A4 2.0TFSI (200) and would definitely go down the same engine route again. Can't quite justify the upgrade at the moment, so am thinking of getting this one remapped (245) to experience it's full potential. Hope you continue to enjoy yours!

Reactions: RSgeoff
Superb write up and great pathway to your A5 2.0 litre Quattro Black edition manual - can appreciate how this does tick all the boxes for you.

Looks stunning !

Great write up! And lovely car.

My a4 has the same engine and I agree it feels quicker than the figures suggest. My previous car had 240bhp and I'd say the a4 feels as quick.

If you ever fancy more power a few members on here have had a Revo remap which can up the the power to about 300bhp and not sacrifice economy too much.

Keep an eye on the oil consumption with the 2.0tfsi. Yours should be fine but I needed a engine rebuild due to high oil consumption. Since the repair its been absolutely fine. I think most issues were early 2008-09-10 cars.

All the best.

Reactions: Revo Steve-W
Stunning car and the 2.0Tfsi is a great engine no doubt about it. I have a Revo Remap to 300BHP and it turns the engine into a beast if you ever want some information on this then just drop me a pm and i will be happy to help.
As said above your car may drink allot of oil but this is normal with the 2.0Tfsi engine and happens to most.
Enjoy your car matey :)

Reactions: Revo Steve-W and RSgeoff
Thanks guys.

Just hit the 5,000 mile mark and the fuel consumption seem to be getting even better.

I did 1000 miles last week from tyneside to Lancashire, then down to London and back. Sat in the outside lane of the m/way for most of the journey going with the flow of the others, and due to the heat had the a/c on for about 600 miles.

Averaged about 39 mpg !!

Well impressed.

Thanks guys.

Just hit the 5,000 mile mark and the fuel consumption seem to be getting even better.

I did 1000 miles last week from tyneside to Lancashire, then down to London and back. Sat in the outside lane of the m/way for most of the journey going with the flow of the others, and due to the heat had the a/c on for about 600 miles.

Averaged about 39 mpg !!

Well impressed.

I really must have the least economical driving style ever... I have the same engine but an S-Tronic A5 Sportback and have to drive like I'm on my driving test to get over 30 MPG.

Great A5 Coupe by the way, Quartz Grey is my favourite Audi colour.

Does somebody know which turbo is on this engine? I'm wondering because it makes it's torque so low down yet is capable of 300bhp with a remap! and it starts with only 211 so I would have suspected a k03 however seems to have the same tune ability of the k04 like the s3's tfsi

The s3 feels laggy to me, mine is revo 2+ but doesn't pull hard until between 2.5 and 3k revs and unless your going to take it up into the revs gives the illusion if it being slow, or is it that because the tune is making quite a lot of extra power anything before full boost feels lame

Cant speak for the S3 but the 200bhp unit + Revo stage 1 (approx 245) in the TT pulls like a train in that rev range. Maybe you have a problem somewhere mate.

the TT is a ko3 car is it not? smaller turbo and more responsive low down, less power up top. the s3 is the same engine as TTS

True..but tbh I wasn't aware of any lag on the TTS either when I've used that, mind it is only a year or so old.

Might be the DV leaking at low boost levels ?? Quite sure someone on here will know.

what I mean is that it's laggy compared to a ko3 car, I've driven several s3's and they all feel the same as mine, well the same as when it was standard, mine is running approx 100bhp and lbs over stock so when the boost arrives there's a much bigger kick (there isn't an obvious difference when coming on boost standard) so because the power probably doubles when boost is reached it makes it feel like there's no power low down and the sensation of lag, I have to say I've never driven a petrol turbo that makes full boost by 1500rpm, I thought its only diesels that do this

Quick update - car still totally std / done 9,000 miles and took it to a rolling road today.

Should be 208/258 but made 234/280 :kissmyrings:

Last edited:
Reactions: Audi Dynamik
What a good thread and a brilliant post by RS geoff!:thumbsup:
I have to agree with your comments on the TFSi engine.

Quick update - car still totally std / done 9,000 miles and took it to a rolling road today.

Should be 208/258 but made 234/280 :kissmyrings:

I know this is an old thread but I found this interesting as when I had mine remapped the before dyno ran at 238. Seems quite a lot over stated figures.

I know this is an old thread but I found this interesting as when I had mine remapped the before dyno ran at 238. Seems quite a lot over stated figures.

I have just bought an S Line quartrro, 2.0 TFSI, 2012 which should be 208BHP as standard. it feels rapid as, especially once it hits ~4000 RPM. I'm keen for both a remap and just to see what comes out the engine as standard. Might have it done after my next service :)

I have just bought an S Line quartrro, 2.0 TFSI, 2012 which should be 208BHP as standard. it feels rapid as, especially once it hits ~4000 RPM. I'm keen for both a remap and just to see what comes out the engine as standard. Might have it done after my next service :)

Sounds like same spec as mine. I've had a Revo remap (Stage 1 to around 250bhp) and would highly recommend it. Coupled with a Milltek catback and you're laughing

Sounds like same spec as mine. I've had a Revo remap (Stage 1 to around 250bhp) and would highly recommend it. Coupled with a Milltek catback and you're laughing

Sounds good, i'd love a few extra BHP and it's sounds so attainable.

Did you do anything to your standard brakes?

Also, have you considered that there may be extra wear and tear/strain on the engine in general? I guess that you would increase the frequency of servicing to counter some of this, but i'm thinking about the clutch, for example