2.0 TFSI CDL Misfire

johal87

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The car in question is actually a golf gti but it has a CDL engine fitted.

Recently it had a bad misfire throughout the rev range, and ran on 3 cylinders, however this was fixed by replacing injector 3 and all 4 spark plugs.

Now on tickover its got a very slight hiccup/misfire.. Not enough to cause the engine light to come on, and it drives and boosts fine.

There is also a metallic rattle coming around the 2.5/3k revs, I thought this was down to a possible failing timing belt tensioner, so I've had the Cambelt Kit done along with the water pump and the issue is still there. The sound won't come through on a video as there's too many other sounds coming through from the engine.

The fan belt tensioner looks like it has some slightly play, are they meant to have any play? And would the aux belt and tensioner make a noise from applying revs?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having just solved s misfire myself funnily enough on cylinder 3 too ,this was down to a failing injector that didn't throw up any warning lights or codes car was fine at peak only misfired on idle ,do you have access to vcds to run misfire detection ? Injector fault was only confirmed when they were sent off for testing/refurbed

Having just solved s misfire myself funnily enough on cylinder 3 too ,this was down to a failing injector that didn't throw up any warning lights or codes car was fine at peak only misfired on idle ,do you have access to vcds to run misfire detection ? Injector fault was only confirmed when they were sent off for testing/refurbed

Yeah I've got vcds, what and where should I be checking in vcds for the misfire?

I seriously hope it's not an injector as this was a complete ball ache!

Yeah I've got vcds, what and where should I be checking in vcds for the misfire?

I seriously hope it's not an injector as this was a complete ball ache!
I have no idea I'm afraid amd done it all for me and just showed me the logs ,but yeah it's an expensive nightmare ,
I was lucky it was only 1 faulty injector got 6% flow increase on the others