2.0 TFSI Engine Troubles. Help / Advice needed!

James1507

Reaction score
So a few weeks ago I started having some engine issues with my B7 Avant. It started making a horrible knocking noise when idling. When accelerating this knocking noise goes away but returns as soon as you begin to slow down.

Anyway it's since been in to be diagnosed and the mechanic believes that one or more of the hydraulic lifters are bent.

I've been quoted between £1000 - £1500 for parts and labour.

My question is do people think its worth repairing? Should i source a new engine or should i sell / break the car as it is?

Its a 2005 a4 avant S-Line with 116,000 miles on the clock lowered on coilovers with lots of extras.

Any advice / help much appreciated.

Cheers

Is that quote from audi or an independent (or multiple mechanics)?

Independent mate. Does it seem expensive? Any idea how easy the job is to do yourself?

Seems Abit steep to replace a lifter but then again it depends on what else had been damaged in the process. I think any things worth replacing if you have the money to fix it. If not then its a case of trying to get back as much as you can and admit defeat. If it was a lifter I would have thought it would be there all the time.
Do you have a video of the noise?

As far as i am aware, the mechanic doesn't believe to much else has been damaged. The quote apparently is based upon doing the chain, belt and tensioner as well. Is it essential / recommended to do these all? I believe the belt or chain was changed less than 10,000 miles ago. Are there any guides out there detailing how to change lifters and rebuild engine? I'v done a little engine work before but not much. I do have a video but my phone is playing up. Will try and upload it asap.

As far as i am aware, the mechanic doesn't believe to much else has been damaged. The quote apparently is based upon doing the chain, belt and tensioner as well. Is it essential / recommended to do these all? I believe the belt or chain was changed less than 10,000 miles ago. Are there any guides out there detailing how to change lifters and rebuild engine? I'v done a little engine work before but not much. I do have a video but my phone is playing up. Will try and upload it asap.
Problem you have is the what the extent of the damage is. If it's a case of a lifer and a camshaft then aslong as its not on the exhaust camshaft, you'll get away with just changing what you need to on the head, install a new chain and tensioner at the rear and build back up. But if its on the exhaust camshaft then you'll need to remove the cambelt and it's not really good practise to retention the cambelt again really. So then a cambelt is a must while your in there. Also if the head damage is such that you need to remove the head then your gonna need a head gasket set and head bolts before you refit the repaired/replacement head.
The lifters are pretty good on these heads tbh, that's the only thing that throws me off. But it's case of stripping to find out. I would price up for everything above minus the gasket set and go from there. Where abouts are you by the way?

I believe the exhaust Camshaft is undamaged. I guess its a case of start stripping it down and to looking at it properly. I believe the mechanic found something in the engine which has rattled loose and caused the damage. (Looks like something someone left behind on a previous repair job!!!:banghead: )

Im based in Plymouth.

I believe the exhaust Camshaft is undamaged. I guess its a case of start stripping it down and to looking at it properly. I believe the mechanic found something in the engine which has rattled loose and caused the damage. (Looks like something someone left behind on a previous repair job!!!:banghead: )

Im based in Plymouth.
Yeah best thing to do its strip it. Wow Plymouth, you couldn't be any further away from me lol! Good luck with it anyway. Hope its something simple

Best / cheapest place to get engine components? Lifters, seals etc...?

Is it easy enough to time up these engines without the tools audi say you will need?

Is it easy enough to time up these engines without the tools audi say you will need?
I don't know of a cheap place to get the parts tbh, but all I do know is you'll have a job timing it up without the tools.
I've never done it without but after 2 rotations of the crank, if the cam locking tool slides back in , you know it's timed up properly, but you still need it timed up properly at the cambelt for it all to work.