2.0 Tfsi fuel consumption

After this thread was started I've been paying more attention to the fuel consumption and according to the instant consumption bar the absolute best mpg I can get on the motorway at a steady 70 or thereabouts is just under 40mpg with just enough throttle to maintain speed. This would be on a relatively flat section in eco mode 7th gear. The slightest incline will see it drop to at best 30-33. Obviously downhill sections with no throttle will see it go into coast mode but even then it is probably giving an instant consumption of around 70mpg but that is downhill with the wind behind me. Gun it and happily return consumption in the teens. Realistic range on a 58litre tank is probably around 410miles or 660km.

I'm running the 252 quattro Avant, tyres are 245/35/R19 Hankooks front pressure 36 and rear 33 as per the door card for 3 people plus luggage as that is usually what I am carrying. It would be interesting to know if people are running higher tyre pressures or narrower tyres and getting much better. Also worth noting that quattro ultra would likely give better figures. The S4 and 272TDI also have another gear ratio that probably helps on the motorway.

A few years back I had a Merc CLK270CDI and over 5 1/2 years I averaged 33mpg and that was a much smaller car so I think for the size of car and the power then I can't complain.

Reactions: WM Jon and france71
i keep reading these reviews and the 1.4 and im starting to think i should have gone for the 1.4 rather than the 2.0 and save a fair amount of cash, i only travel 5 miles to work and would only require that extra bit of power for out trips to the Dales. my build date is the 15 Jan so i dont have long to decide if i am to change.

Yes 1.4 the one to go for if short runs and this engine is very refined and torquey.

Averaged 39mpg back from Suffolk but it was very cold, I came back via the a14 and m11 which was among those places that was hit badly yesterday...

4 months in and I’ve now started using the 2.0tfsi 190 for the work commute. It’s a 75 mile round trip I’d say 85% motorway. Long term average now 38.5 a huge improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just adding that I have now done 2 500km (1 500 miles) in my Allroad 2.0Tfsi - I generally do the same type of routes. 70km (44 miles) of A class roads and a few villages, plus about 10km (6 miles) of town driving. There is less stop/start driving and there are not many 'slug' drivers like in the UK so the speed is kept around 100km/h on open roads 60 miles/h. The average economy now seems to have settled down to about 8 litres/100 km so 35 mpg. I can get it down to around 40 mpg but those extra mpg requires a light foot and setting the car to economy mode.

Personally I do no regret moving away from diesel. I only do about 10 000 miles a year so the difference between diesel and petrol costs don't justify the diesel and here in France diesel is still a bit cheaper than petrol. The thing I miss most though is the range of the diesel. I go to Germany now and again and I used to have around 1000 km (600 miles) of driving on a tank of fuel.

You mention the economy mode, to be honest I’ve stopped using it, I’m getting the same if not better mpg in auto and I’ve got to be honest the acceleration delay on economy mode is shockingly bad bordering on dangerous imo

Reactions: malph and france71
I have not really tried auto mode so that sounds interesting. I agree the eco mode is only good for easy going driving and the reaction time is not great. I'll give the auto mode a try tomorrow.

Reactions: orangeviking31
Eco can give me a slight MPG gain in the realm of 45-50MPG average on 60Mile M-Way journey, but it's not worth the lag effect it generates in return, so I typically drive in Comfort or Auto.

That said, I can always get a better MPG if I drive vs. using the Adaptive Cruise Control - probably in the order of 2-3MPG. But not worth it for the comfort it gives :)

Sorry if this has been asked before, anyone able to tell me the rough mileage on a full tank in the 2.0 tfsi 190?

Sorry if this has been asked before, anyone able to tell me the rough mileage on a full tank in the 2.0 tfsi 190?

Depends on how heavy your foot and type of roads? I get around 450 miles to a tank on mostly motorway driving.

Reactions: MH-96
Thanks.

I'm mostly motorway, used to getting around 450-500 on a full tank in my 2.1tdi A Class so shouldnt be much of a difference.

I just done a 750 mile ski trip from London to Switzerland. 80% on motorways and the last 100 miles in the Alps. The car was fully loaded to the brim (an Avant version) with 2 adults and 2 children and on winter tyres which can reduce fuel economy up to 10%. It was set to Eco mode. From door to door it managed 41.9mpg.
An interesting thing that I noticed is that the fuel economy was about 2mpg better after refueling in France even though the terrain wasn't as flat as before. First tank of petrol was from Tesco 95 octane and the French petrol was 95 as well. Wonder if it is down to quality of the fuel?

Ok so I have a 2018 2.0 TFSI S-tronic S-line 190...

I've just done a round trip from Leicester to Beccles and back again. 135m each way and that's entirely A roads & dual carriage ways, so a lot of starting/stopping & slowing down for roundabouts etc.

It was just me in the car, although the boot is quite full with heavy stuff. The car's drive mode was set to 'Auto' both ways.

On the outbound journey I got 42.8mpg and on the inbound journey I got 44.1mpg.

Bear in mind that the car is only a week old so not sure if these figures will change once the engine has "bedded in"?

To be honest I have not really noticed much change over mileage, I expect it'll have more of a change once the weather gets warmer...

Has anyone got any knowledge of the start stop system whilst driving? I've noticed that mine will do the following when going down hill with my foot off the accelerator...

1. Cut off the engine so the Rev needle goes to "ready" until the engine is needed again

2. Disengage the gearbox so instead of showing "D7 (or the like)" it will just show "D" so it's coasting at idle revs

3. Nothing, stay in gear.

The thing is, there doesn't seem to be a set condition for the car to decide any of the above. I tried forcing the car to do number 1 above by taking my foot off the pedal when I spotted a decline in the road, but sometimes it would work other times it wouldn't?

Gradient, speed and brake pressure are all factors than can variate those conditions...

how did you get 74 mpg?

Probably coasting....the picture says the journey is only 5 minutes over 2.4 miles.

After 6 months of owning a B9 S4, the long term mpg is 18.5mpg

Reactions: WesT-gefül
Exactly 2.4 miles. Pretty pointless isn’t that.
Quite, it was tongue in cheek and not to taken seriously, but not coasting at all. I have this test I do from leaving the petrol station at Sainburys to driving to my house just to get a personal indication of what the car could be capable of. On this route my 1.6 Ecoboost Focus could achieve around 57mpg, my 1.4 A3 about 85mpg.
It is a game I play and never meant to other than my own personal test on a road I frequent which is a combination of stop start, 30 mph limit or 60mph and uphill for the first part then some downhill then a faster level road before coming into the village where I live.

However seeing as I am currently achieving 35-38mpg around town I must have a particularly light foot, and no I am not holding up the traffic either and you will note I have posted more 'real world' figures on a long journey.

On the 1.5tfsi i'm currently lending from Audi i notice the s stronic can keep the gear say d4 or d5 around 40 mph so i manually flip it up to M7. I have now noticed improved economy but still struggle to get anymore than 37mpg on my commute home. The 2.0 tdi was on average 47 mpg on the commute and this was generally heavy footed. Best in it around 54mpg.

Most of my driving is pretty local and short journeys giving me long term average of almost 28. This compares with my old 2.0tfsi at 23!

What is really nice though, is longer trips where I'd rarely see more than 30. On Monday, I did a round trip of 90 miles each way on a mixture of town, motorway, A roads and country roads and got what I'd call a really impressive 44mpg.

Great to hear real life experiences.

My early thoughts are that I am happy with my petrol 252bhp engine. The consumption costs over a year are not so much for me personally. Wish it had a bigger tank so I could go longer before refilling. Waiting to try performance when the engine is run in a bit. Well the Allroad is not about performance so I should be happy.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
I too am pleased overall with the performance of the 252bhp 2.0 TFSI in my Q5. Only 3k miles in, and a lot of my driving is local so long term avg. currently 28.5, but is slowly climbing. On a good run, I am getting 42+ mpg.

8L/100km i think this is 35mpg
A4 2.0TFSI ultra 190HP S-tronic
In winter every morning 30 minutes webasto.

848899ffb4d8ffbfa142ea74fca5bde7.png

Ive seen 54mpg on the motorway in my mapped 272.

Average mid 40s on sections of dual carriage way and low to mid 30s in town driving.

Lowest I've ever got is 27mpg but that was stop start driving with AC full blast

I had a JCW mini....the 1.6 twin scroll turbo and that drank fuel too. 26 mpg average over a year of ownership.

I don’t see the point of having a fast turbo petrol if you don’t floor it from time to time. They’re only “efficient” if you really drive like a nun.

Diesels were great for economy. Shame they’re dirty and on the way out. I love the torque it’s so effortless. No matter how I drive my 3.0 diesel it will always beat the S4 for economy.

To be honest I’m all for electric hybrids....would be nice to only use petrol when you want some fun. I don’t find it fun getting 20mpg in efficiency mode.
Our 2.0 JCW is much more efficient than the old 1.6, get 33mpg+ and we do drive the thing!

Hi Guys, sorry for reviving an old thread like this but do the above figures apply for the 2019 and onward A4s 2.0 TFSIs S tronic? I'm thinking of moving on from my A3 to an A4 Avant and with all this talk against diesels I'm thinking of switching to a petrol car. With the fuel consumption and range being the main reasons I got a diesel in the first place I'd like to know in what I'm getting into. I know the range won't be the same and I can live with that, but not with 30 mpg, especially these days. My driving is mainly short ish trips of 11 miles on A roads.
Thanks.

I have the 2.0 TFSi non quattro (this makes a big difference) It is the 190 ultra model and I get fantastic mpg. On a run I can get over 50mpg. Around town over 30mpg easy.

Reactions: DanZ
40TSFI 190 owner here with a pretty twitchy, heavy right foot. Don't think it'll make that much of a difference day to day but a handy note, I have a DTUK Tuning Box fitted (always set to an Eco setting). ~48 months of ownership I've averaged ~32MPG. Typically get between 450 to 500 miles from a brimmed tank.

- Most weekend "errand" runs I get 25-30MPG.
- Commute to work (8 miles either way, mix of 30 & 40mph urban roads and 60mph DC's) I get about 40MPG depending on traffic.
- Longer motorway journeys I can easily achieve 45-55MPG. (Recent ~700 mile road trip holiday with the missus to Wales and the surrounding area from Newcastle I averaged 42MPG.

I feel bottom line is the engine technology and efficiency of course play a part but the driver has the biggest impact on fuel efficiency.

Reactions: DanZ