2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

I had my engine replaced 2 years ago for this problem. Audi at the time paid a contribution. I wonder if I claim back for my money and for the consumption test?
Not only refunds, but free servicings..!
Post more info after mine goes in on Thursday for a service that isn't required...

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Wonder if Audi would refund the £1700 it cost me after the cam chain tensioner went back in Feb?? I guess not as they will say its wear & tear, plus I had it done at an indy garage and not Audi. (oil consumption issue was fixed in Nov 2013)

Is there known faults with the cam belt tensioner? I wonder if mine would have been looked at when I had the whole bottom end replaced.

Is there known faults with the cam belt tensioner? I wonder if mine would have been looked at when I had the whole bottom end replaced.

The two cam chain tensioners 'should' be changed with updated versions during the oil consumption rebuild. I had Audi confirm this happened on my A4 and will be getting the information from the dealer on Thursday. Will post what I receive then.

The two cam chain tensioners 'should' be changed with updated versions during the oil consumption rebuild. I had Audi confirm this happened on my A4 and will be getting the information from the dealer on Thursday. Will post what I receive then.

That will be interesting to see what they say as I bet my chain tensioners were not replaced when the rebuild was done in November 2013

Although, if they were replaced then they would have a 2 year warranty from November 2013, and seeing as they failed in Feb 2015, maybe I would have a case against Audi.

See what info I can get in the morning mate. Would seem there's a problem when they are using 'new' updated tensioners now...

Sorry to change the subject back to the oil consumption, but I heard from Audi yesterday.

The car has completed the oil consumption test (and failed!) and now I am waiting to see what Audi are willing to do to solve the problem.

Charles gave me a call and said he had made a decision as to what Audi would be willing to contribute. Unfortunately he was not willing to tell me over the phone and instead preferred to let Audi Victoria London tell me the news. He did say he thinks I would be "more than happy" with the decision.

I am now getting quite nervous - I think he would have been more forthcoming with information if they were willing to cover all costs. Perhaps they will make me pay for labour????

I will update you when I hear from Victoria Audi today....

(Fingers crossed)

Sorry to change the subject back to the oil consumption, but I heard from Audi yesterday.

The car has completed the oil consumption test (and failed!) and now I am waiting to see what Audi are willing to do to solve the problem.

Charles gave me a call and said he had made a decision as to what Audi would be willing to contribute. Unfortunately he was not willing to tell me over the phone and instead preferred to let Audi Victoria London tell me the news. He did say he thinks I would be "more than happy" with the decision.

I am now getting quite nervous - I think he would have been more forthcoming with information if they were willing to cover all costs. Perhaps they will make me pay for labour????

I will update you when I hear from Victoria Audi today....

(Fingers crossed)

How did you get on mate? If Charles mentioned you should be "more than happy" then it should be free...?
Audi Cardiff gave me a call with the outcome on my car. However a few minutes later I had a call from Audi UK confirming everything.

I'm pleased to say that they have agreed to carry out all work to solve the problem... free of charge! I was so relieved.

They estimate that it will take up to 3 weeks for the work to be completed and they have offered an A3 courtesy car.

I am very happy with the result.

I know Audi UK have had a lot of bad press recently but I can honestly say that every communication I have had with them has been fantastic.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
I'm rather happy too...

Took the car into Bridgend Audi today for its sort of unnecessary service and I'm very happy with the service department. The sales advisor Jeff was very friendly and extremely helpful! He showed me the invoice for the rebuild showing the updated and revised cam chain tensioners. All I can say for worried owners regarding these is to double check they were changed when the rebuild was carried out.

Anyway the outcome is my car has had a major service including brake fluid change free of charge and the next minor service in 2 years will also be complimentary. They even waived the £15 insurance charge for the rather new courtesy car...

Last edited:
Reactions: ruairi83
Think I will call Exeter Audi who did the piston ring repair in November 2013 to see if they did the cam chain tensioners at the same time.

Just thought I'd share my experiences of this issue - it does seem that Audi are now being pretty effective in dealing with it.

My 2009 A4 (69k miles) failed the oil consumption test - did 1 litre in 550 miles. Dealer took it in, sorted everything out with Audi UK and replaced the pistons free of charge. They were pretty good all round - courtesy car for the whole time, and it was all done in 10 days. No hassle at all.

Strangely, having driven about 250 miles since I got the car back, my oil level on MMI has dropped down to halfway again. Bit concerning - but will continue to monitor. Has anyone else noticed any initial high oil usage or erratic MMI levels after having the pistons replaced?

On another point, Mike J - big thanks for kicking this thread off, I got loads of useful info from it before engaging with Audi. Whilst I didn't need to have any difficult conversations with them in the end, it was hugely reassuring to have all the understanding from here when I did speak to them. Good job :)

Just thought I'd share my experiences of this issue - it does seem that Audi are now being pretty effective in dealing with it.

My 2009 A4 (69k miles) failed the oil consumption test - did 1 litre in 550 miles. Dealer took it in, sorted everything out with Audi UK and replaced the pistons free of charge. They were pretty good all round - courtesy car for the whole time, and it was all done in 10 days. No hassle at all.

Strangely, having driven about 250 miles since I got the car back, my oil level on MMI has dropped down to halfway again. Bit concerning - but will continue to monitor. Has anyone else noticed any initial high oil usage or erratic MMI levels after having the pistons replaced?

On another point, Mike J - big thanks for kicking this thread off, I got loads of useful info from it before engaging with Audi. Whilst I didn't need to have any difficult conversations with them in the end, it was hugely reassuring to have all the understanding from here when I did speak to them. Good job :)
Thanks mate. I did around 500 miles before the car was serviced yesterday after the rebuild. Although the MMI did fluctuate it always moved back up to the top after a few mins with ignition on after a drive. Maybe worth trying the above..

It's great to hear Audi have finally started to treat their customers as they should have in the first place and resolve the issue without fuss.

Unfortunately the only thing I got for free was tea and coffee while they p*$$€d me around with their negotiating.

Hopefully with time my respect for Audi will return and I'll own another sooner or later. At the moment I am really enjoying the Merc.

Finally got the car back then Stu! I'm wary now when putting the bikes on the car...

My old A4 was a 2.0 TFSI built March 2009 and delivered to me April 2009 which looks like it was bang in the middle of the faulty engines

I had noticed that the oil consumption was what I thought excessive, around a litre every 2000 miles. It had been like that for around 18 months if my memory serves me right. The weird thing is on longer runs the car used less oil than it did town driving

It looks like I may have had a lucky escape

I feel for all you people that have had problems, but at last Audi are going someway to acknowledging the fault & doing what they should have done in the first place, rectify the fault(s) FOC

They estimate that it will take up to 3 weeks for the work to be completed and they have offered an A3 courtesy car.

it took 5 days for my piston change etc, what's making yours take 3x as long?

Rang Audi customer services today to start the process for the oil consumption test, they took my details and passed me over to Audi Manchester (but the service department was shut), so will call them Monday and get it booked into for the first test. Has anyone on here dealt with Audi Manchester for this?

The car was serviced just before I bought it and bang on 500 miles in my car oil level is showing as empty :( had to buy some of the Castrol Edge 5/30 oil today, 1 liter was 20quid!

Audi MCR did mine. Good service. Dealt with Ray who was attentive and rang me with updates. Got an a4 avant for three weeks to spin around in (very nice). You should not have an issue with them. Lucky escape as it could have been Stockport.

Reactions: keaney
Its very reassuring to see the positive results occurring now!
Back in January before I started this thread and when my car was constantly misfiring I couldn't have dreamed of the outcomes that are now being achieved.
Yes it has been a very long journey but the end results are that I now own a car that has been fixed and runs superb! Also the cam chain tensioner problem for me has been eliminated. Further more I have had the consumption tests fully refunded and for the next four years the servicing is free. First major service done yesterday. Plus there's a 2 yr warranty on the parts fitted..

I have to say a big thank you to Audi UK - Charles & Ateeq in particular. Don't envy what those guys have gone through in the last few months but it shows what these forums can help to achieve! Also Bridgend Audi were great yesterday. Geoff is a great service adviser and an asset to the brand.

I can say honestly my faith in Audi has now been restored!

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Faith restored. Mine hasn't. Took my oil burner in for its 2nd service to Audi Stockport and they said I needed new tyres. Crack on I said. 600 quid bill and I picked it up this morning. Went to clean it and looked at my new front tyres and they looked just like my old ones. In fact they were my old ones and they have not fitted them. Absolute ******* !

Faith restored. Mine hasn't. Took my oil burner in for its 2nd service to Audi Stockport and they said I needed new tyres. Crack on I said. 600 quid bill and I picked it up this morning. Went to clean it and looked at my new front tyres and they looked just like my old ones. In fact they were my old ones and they have not fitted them. Absolute ******* !
Complain to Audi UK then mate. That's shocking..
Had to read it twice. Yes it's shocking!!

it took 5 days for my piston change etc, what's making yours take 3x as long?

I was wondering the same after re-reading. Audi UK allows/pays the techs 20 hrs labour for each rebuild. 3 weeks is a bit extreme. Maybe there is a backlog on the parts or the techs off to Magaluf for a week.
Just make sure the cam chain tensioners are the new ones!

Not the first time but in fact the 3rd time Stockport have let me down.

1st instance was I went down a big pothole and damaged the wheels. Took it in and they sent me some ponsey head cam video showing a bucked wheel. £ 900 later I pick it up and they tell me that the tech has road tested the car and all is ok. As soon as I drive it out of the dealership it don't feel right. Get it home, jack it up and spin the rear wheel and this is buckled as well together with a crack in the side wall of the tyre and here I was looking at some paperwork saying it had been through a 138 point check . Tossers !!

2nd Instance was with the wife's car and the oil burning. Lost the car for 3 days (YES LOST) and had numerous calls to say my car had gone for an MOT when it didn't even need one. Nobody rang me back at all for 3 days in respect of why it went in. They told me it needed a new turbo but then changed their minds and said nowt wrong with the engine and burning oil is normal. I also found 2 spanners under the bonnet left by the grease monkey. 3 months later it is rebuilt by Audi Manchester (great dealer)

And now this with the tyres.

I am NEVER going back to Stockport again EVER. Had more than enough chances now and I pity the service advisor who speaks to me Monday Morning

I was wondering the same after re-reading. Audi UK allows/pays the techs 20 hrs labour for each rebuild. 3 weeks is a bit extreme. Maybe there is a backlog on the parts or the techs off to Magaluf for a week.
Just make sure the cam chain tensioners are the new ones!
They could have kept mine for 6 months while I spanked around in their brand new car. Does it really matter how long they have it ? I didn't give a monkeys and made life easy for me as I went on holiday and the avant swallowed all 3 case and pram with ease whereas I would have been stripping the pram down to its component pieces and rebuilding it in the airport car park to get it in the back of the A3

There we go guys, avoid Stockport Audi for Igooch and Cardiff Audi for me. After my rebuild I checked under the bonnet and found grill fixing screws loose and missing that were sat in the drainage run offs between the bonnet and wing.
Follow up yesterday after mentioning it to Audi Bridgend was they tightened up bolts after my request. Looks like the tech at Audi Bridgend did a forensic on my car as on the advisory was a missing rear ash tray at £20. Unless he was on a break

Rang Audi customer services today to start the process for the oil consumption test, they took my details and passed me over to Audi Manchester (but the service department was shut), so will call them Monday and get it booked into for the first test. Has anyone on here dealt with Audi Manchester for this?

The car was serviced just before I bought it and bang on 500 miles in my car oil level is showing as empty :( had to buy some of the Castrol Edge 5/30 oil today, 1 liter was 20quid!
Shame they don't do away with the test. It's obvious your cars 'burning' oil. Bet the exhausts are carboned up!

Another follow up tonight. Got an invoice today confirming the next service will be done for free. I know I mentioned it above but having evidence is better. According to Judge Rinder

Finally got the car back then Stu! I'm wary now when putting the bikes on the car...
You're telling me. I physically duck when ever I go under a barrier and that's when the bikes aren't on the car!

Yeah got it back, just need to repair one of the carriers and buy two more.

Reactions: ruairi83
Hi guys, just recently registered. I own a 2009 2.0tfsi and is in the process of going through a stage 1 oil consumption test. I have cover 420miles so far and I have less than 1/4 of oil left according to MMI. Anyone know what stage 2 of oil consumption test involve?

Shame they don't do away with the test. It's obvious your cars 'burning' oil. Bet the exhausts are carboned up!

Its booked in at Audi Manchester a week tomorrow. When I topped up the oil I should have only put 500ml in but I just stuck the full litre in, but that should last me a week.

I was driving behind the audi at the weekend for about 50 miles and I could see small puffs of black smoke every now and again, and yeah the rear defuser is white so you can see the build up between washes.

Just a quick update.

I got my A4 Dynamik (2010) back from Audi Solihull last week after the full fix and everything is all good atm.

I didnt pay a single penny for all of it so i am happy with the service they gave me.

I keep you all posted if anything does go wrong

Miss Cat xxx

Reactions: Tfsi gone and keaney
Have to say after everything that has been done to my car it drives better than the 2015 A4 TDI loan car I had earlier this week from Audi.
Smoother drive (Hankook tyres compared to the Continentals), far quieter and much quicker than the 2.0 diesel. Time to enjoy the car as their meant to be..

Reactions: Bristle Hound
Have to say after everything that has been done to my car it drives better than the 2015 A4 TDI loan car I had earlier this week from Audi.
Smoother drive (Hankook tyres compared to the Continentals), far quieter and much quicker than the 2.0 diesel. Time to enjoy the car as their meant to be..
Great to hear @Mike J :)

Well I started my claim with Audi today to try and claim back my money I paid for the repairs. Wonder if they will try and reimburse me for all the money I spent on oil and replacing the chrome tail pipes as well, because of this problem.