2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

As soon as the light comes on (if before 621 miles) the oil consumption test ends! Take pics and contact Audi if possible..
There's obviously some tolerance in driving when the oil is low but on a non-fixed engine I wouldn't take the chance in driving far mate..!

I guess I'll be leaving the A5 at home on Sunday then and using the Fiat 500 - not quite the same !

Reactions: Tfsi gone
At least once it's fixed you know you won't have to spend 15-20 pounds on a litre of oil every few hundred miles...

Spoke to Audi UK today and they have advised me "not to use my car to do the 120 mile journey" I need to do this weekend as the oil level could reach critical. I should only use the car locally. I asked them to note this against my record.

Spoke to Jardine Audi in Hitchin (who had been called by Audi UK) and asked that they be ready to ferry me back to work early one morning or come and get the car. In fairness, they said they would.

They also seemed to indicate that they were expecting to carry out the repair on my car but there was a car booked in next week for the same work.

Might go for a 30 mile burn somewhere on Sunday to get that level down !

Well it's all immaterial now - the oil light came on at 365 miles. Just hope I've got enough to get it to the Audi dealer

Hi. I'm a new audi owner an I've been hit with this problem. I don't know too much about cars so apologies is I sound daft.

I bought a used 10 plate a4 avant 65k 1.8 tfsi from an independent dealer. Has full service history but only the first one with audi.

Apart from the obvious oil computer I noticed plumes of blue smoke coming from the exhaust when accelerating at the bottom of long down hill stretchs. So I would let the engine tick over down hill in gear and them when I start to slow I accelerate the smoke pours out. It doesn't do it when driving normally on flats / up hill. Does anyone else see this. Can't be doing the cat any good.

Got the car back today after 2nd stage check. I managed 240 miles from them doing the 1st stage top up.

I really hope audi pay up. It's eating away at me thinking Im going to have bill that is more than 50% what I paid for the car. Only had it 2 months.

Consumption test was free which I though I would have to pay for based on past reading and so far the service has been awesome.

If audi sort the issue I would happily return to them for servicing based on customer service alone. Just hope the cough up.

I'll let you know what happens.

Well it's all immaterial now - the oil light came on at 365 miles. Just hope I've got enough to get it to the Audi dealer

Still surprised your car wasn't experiencing any misfires mate!..
Two spark plugs in mine were soaked but at least yours is about to get fixed unlike thousands of cars out there that haven't or their owners are oblivious/denying the problem..

Hi. I'm a new audi owner an I've been hit with this problem. I don't know too much about cars so apologies is I sound daft.

I bought a used 10 plate a4 avant 65k 1.8 tfsi from an independent dealer. Has full service history but only the first one with audi.

Apart from the obvious oil computer I noticed plumes of blue smoke coming from the exhaust when accelerating at the bottom of long down hill stretchs. So I would let the engine tick over down hill in gear and them when I start to slow I accelerate the smoke pours out. It doesn't do it when driving normally on flats / up hill. Does anyone else see this. Can't be doing the cat any good.

Got the car back today after 2nd stage check. I managed 240 miles from them doing the 1st stage top up.

I really hope audi pay up. It's eating away at me thinking Im going to have bill that is more than 50% what I paid for the car. Only had it 2 months.

Consumption test was free which I though I would have to pay for based on past reading and so far the service has been awesome.

If audi sort the issue I would happily return to them for servicing based on customer service alone. Just hope the cough up.

I'll let you know what happens.

This problem normally 'see's white smoke firstly like condensation!. Blue smoke is normally a problematic turbo route problem however if the car runs fine and the consumption is terrible then let Audi UK sort it. It will undoubtably be the pistons, rings and conrods even on a 1.8! As I have said previously in this thread its not exclusive to any model or engine. It was first noticed in the A5 2.0 TFSI 211, but every TFSI CDNC engine from 2008 to late 2011 is faulty let alone the other TFSI engined models of this era..
Audi know it's the tip of the TFSI iceberg and are now suffering the costs..
I Bought one knowing it would be a faster alternative than a diesel around town. There must be in excess of 500 cars being fixed at present in the UK alone and all at the same time!, so don't expect the fix to be completed immediately. That leaves how many to be fixed?..

Last edited:
The performance seems ok. It's only the 120 bhp version so didn't really expect much but I thought the fuel economy would be better than 30mpg. Was thinking of getting it remapped but thought I'd get this sorted first then cross that bridge if I get to it.

2011 Audi A5 Black Edition
2.0 TFSI
23k miles

Audi Belfast

Booked in for first stage of oil test on 15/7/15. Kindly dropped me to work and collected me afterwards.

Car returned after 700+ miles this morning for the second stage test. The oil level was showing at about 1/3 on the MMI. Again, dropped to work and waiting for a prepaid taxi to collect me now.

Louise from the service team called to let me know that the car has failed and they will be presenting the case to Audi UK. This will take around 10 working days. The oil will be topped up and I can drive the car in the mean time, then book it in once Audi UK respond.

Being my first Audi, having owned BMW's previously, I have been impressed so far.

Cheers,

Lee
It's about time Audi started treating their customers as you would expect. Being one of the first to run into problems, way before Watchdog, quite frankly their service was absolutely sh??e.

After my ordeal, I'm still not in a position to go for another Audi, but it's good to see others are reaching a satisfactory outcome.

I was following an A5 a few days ago. It had a private number plate and was rebadged, but you could tell it was a 2.0T because it was puffing like a tractor!

Car went in to Audi Hitchin today. 365 miles before the light came on. According to the manager they just confirm the car has failed then book it in for the fix. Fingers crossed.

My car is booked in to be repaired wc 7/9 ! I asked them if they replace the cam chain tensioner during the work and they said they didn't

My car is booked in to be repaired wc 7/9 ! I asked them if they replace the cam chain tensioner during the work and they said they didn't

Who told you they wouldn't be replaced? I wouldn't listen to the service advisors. Cardiff Audi barely even knew how to conduct the oil test..
I didn't ask if mine were going to be changed but after the fix I researched more and then checked. They were listed on the repair invoice and I had Audi Bridgend double check them against the most recent part numbers.
Sure they will be changed as part of the repair list of items required especially as most of the top end of the engine will be stripped down..

A normal day at an Audi garage.

Couldn't remember if this has been posted on here before.

I watched that before. I want to record mine but I'll be on a cruise ship at the time. Is there a way for me to record it?

Who told you they wouldn't be replaced? I wouldn't listen to the service advisors. Cardiff Audi barely even knew how to conduct the oil test..
I didn't ask if mine were going to be changed but after the fix I researched more and then checked. They were listed on the repair invoice and I had Audi Bridgend double check them against the most recent part numbers.
Sure they will be changed as part of the repair list of items required especially as most of the top end of the engine will be stripped down..

Can anyone else who already have their engine repaired confirm that the cam chain tensioner and adjuster have been replaced? My car is booked in w/c 14/11 for the repair and if this is not part of the repair process I would like to request Audi to replace them at the same time.

i've had my engine done but i have no idea about the cam stuff, or the sprakplugs. nowt was mentioned to me, afair there's no mention on the invoice either. She only had 28k on at the time so maybe it wasn't necessary? i assume they know what they're doing so would have done everything that was needed.

As the cam chain adjuster and tensioner are oil related items they 'should' be changed. Audi know this especially with oil pressure problems related to the 'piston' issue. They know if the tensioner fails and the chain slips after a repair has been carried out it will likely be a new engine that would be required and not another 20 hr rebuild..
All for the cost of a few extra parts! As I mentioned though I believe it is now part of the complete repair kit...

Hi Guys.

Just had this email from my service advisor at audi. Let me know what you think. (I'm actually trying to get the cost covered by the independent dealer I bought the car from a couple of weeks ago but I reckon they'll argue it. )

"""As the vehicle hasn’t got complete dealer history the manufacture given a percentage to cover repairs your outstanding amount to entitle you to goodwill would be cost of a full service £300.00.

And for the repairs contribution of £735.37 the prices are including vat

We have discounted as much as possible on the costing for you so there will be no further amendments given on the price quoted.""""

Hi Guys.

Just had this email from my service advisor at audi. Let me know what you think. (I'm actually trying to get the cost covered by the independent dealer I bought the car from a couple of weeks ago but I reckon they'll argue it. )

"""As the vehicle hasn’t got complete dealer history the manufacture given a percentage to cover repairs your outstanding amount to entitle you to goodwill would be cost of a full service £300.00.

We have discounted as much as possible on the costing for you so there will be no further amendments given on the price quoted.""""

What's the actual service history of the car mate? If there is evidence of a reasonable history it should all be free! It doesn't need to be complete dealer!
Can't believe they are asking for £300 for a major service to enable the goodwill! After the repair is carried out a complimentary free service will be thrown in if chased up...
As for the contribution to the repair and no further amendments on the price I would be giving Audi UK a call as that's a load of ****!
Have you called them yet and been assigned a case number?..

Last edited:
Really, that's interesting. It's got 4 services. 1st at audi. 2nd and 3rd at Hi Q and the 4th at a BMW Garage. Do you want to know anything else or do you recon they're good enough.

Really, that's interesting. It's got 4 services. 1st at audi. 2nd and 3rd at Hi Q and the 4th at a BMW Garage. Do you want to know anything else or do you recon they're good enough.

What's the actual service history of the car mate? If there is evidence of a reasonable history it should all be free! It doesn't need to be complete dealer!
Can't believe they are asking for £300 for a major service to enable the goodwill! After the repair is carried out a complimentary free service will be thrown in if chased up...
As for the contribution to the repair and no further amendments on the price I would be giving Audi UK a call as that's a load of ****!
Have you called them yet and been assigned a case number?..

Was in the process of editing my post mate as it replied before I was finished. As above but get Audi UK involved ASAP as they will assign a case manager. If you have evidence of the servicings including oil change you should get it free...

Technology :)

No I've not got audi UK involved yet, didn't realise they were a separate entity until earlier today. Thought I'd just he able to do it through the local audi garage

I've got no evidence of previous services. I only bought the car a couple of months back and the dealer I got it from didn't have any invoices or anything.

It's fair to say I've learned a lot about buying a used car the last few weeks. On top of this farce I ended up having to pay for a new lock fitting to the passenger door as it wasn't locking and I'd not realised. Don't know if it was like it when I bought it but given the situation I'm in I reckon it was and I've been sold a car that someone was desperate to get rid of.

Well I have an update on my brother in laws car, had both oil consumption test done, failed, went in for 3 weeks and they have replaced the piston's, conrod and tensioner along with aload of other little bits with an invoice of £2000+ and nothing for them to pay. They have only done 60k since it was completed so hopefully that it sorted

Oh and on top of the free roof cleaning kit they got before they got given a pair of £95 Audi sunglasses and 2 Audi keyrings all for free. Think they were looked after very well by Crawley Audi

Reactions: Tfsi gone
I would see if you can get any invoice information from the previous servicings. Worth a few phone calls otherwise Audi may not be in a position to offer a better goodwill package unfortunately.
See what the Independant garage can do if anything from where you purchased the car..

Will do. I thought the engine rebuild was estimated at 6k. Wonder why that invoice is only for 2k

Well I have an update on my brother in laws car, had both oil consumption test done, failed, went in for 3 weeks and they have replaced the piston's, conrod and tensioner along with aload of other little bits with an invoice of £2000+ and nothing for them to pay. They have only done 60k since it was completed so hopefully that it sorted

Oh and on top of the free roof cleaning kit they got before they got given a pair of £95 Audi sunglasses and 2 Audi keyrings all for free. Think they were looked after very well by Crawley Audi

Will do. I thought the engine rebuild was estimated at 6k. Wonder why that invoice is only for 2k

I was thinking that too! My invoice list went into 3 pages when I eventually saw it during the major service last month...
Least it's showing the tensioner has been changed as well!
Surprised they actually gave an itemised invoice as apparently you only receive one when you have to contribute to the repair. That what Cardiff Audi implied anyway...

My invoice showed the Piston & Conrod repair would have costed £5494 and was on my oil consumption test paperwork.
The 'rebuild' paperwork next to it showed nil cost. That's the only invoice I received apart from viewing the true 3 page Audi invoice at another dealer during a recent 'Free' Major service...

Hi Guys.

Adam

Look back through my posts - Mike J provided an interesting layout of the Q&A that Audi UK provide dealers relating to this issue. There is no requirement to have complete dealer history as can be seen in this Audi statement: https://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/latest-news/audi-uk-bbc-watchdog-oil-consumption-june-2015.html as long as you can demonstrate that the vehicle has been serviced in accordance with the service timetable/mileage and at a reputable service centre - if you have official stamps in the service book this should give them a first start for their investigation to validate your service history.

Definitely get in touch with Audi UK, report the nature of the problem with the car, get them to confirm that it falls within the vehicle window that could experience the problem. Provided it does, they will then advise you to contact your local Audi Centre and arrange for the oil test - at that point you might want to drop the bombshell that the dealer has above and say you feel it doesn't run consistently with the Audi statement - you can use emotive messages like "losing confidence in the Audi brand" and having "purchased an Audi because it is a premium brand but this experience does not seem to support that suggestion". See what they suggest at that point. The killer line in the dealer's response is "As the vehicle hasn’t got complete dealer history ....." - Audi do not require complete dealer history and it is against UK consumer law for them to require dealer history - as long as the car has been maintained in accordance with manufacturer requirements.

To support your case, you might want to contact the Hi-Q garages and the BMW dealer to see if they can provide you with the invoices. However, this is an Audi manufacturing fault and the problem is experienced in vehicles serviced 100% by Audi, so it is difficult for them to argue that the problem has been caused by incorrect servicing hence them carrying out so many repairs. There is a Class Action lawsuite against them in the US that means that they have to repair over 120,000 vehicles.

If this does not result in a revision of their position, you may want to consider your rights with your used car dealer - under the Sale of Goods Act you have 3 months to request to return the product for a full refund if it is "Not fit for purpose". I put my dealer on notice immediately I was aware of the problem and, in all fairness, he completely accepted the situation and his responsibilities.

I was very pleasantly surprised this week - mine went in for its second stage oil check and, even before it was completed - the service manager said that if the car failed the test then it would just be booked in for the repair. Audi UK informed me that they fully empower the Audi Centre to make the decision despite the dealers suggesting that they have to get clearance from Audi UK.

Get a case manager on the go at Audi UK and let him/her sort it - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: ruairi83
I was thinking that too! My invoice list went into 3 pages when I eventually saw it during the major service last month...
Least it's showing the tensioner has been changed as well!
Surprised they actually gave an itemised invoice as apparently you only receive one when you have to contribute to the repair. That what Cardiff Audi implied anyway...
That's very confusing - I was under the impression that the repair is something like 20 hours labour (at Audi's rates that would be £2,600 alone). I don't see any mention of chrome exhaust pipe replacements which I thought was a standard part of the repair.

That's very confusing - I was under the impression that the repair is something like 20 hours labour (at Audi's rates that would be £2,600 alone). I don't see any mention of chrome exhaust pipe replacements which I thought was a standard part of the repair.

It does begger belief that the parts can cost another £2600+ when you see an parts invoice above for less than a grand. I'm sure that invoice must only be for part of the fix..
The allocated labour is 20 hrs like you say...

The exhaust tips won't be changed unless you specifically mention they are 'ruined' at the rebuild.
It's a sign for all readers with regards to TFSI engines. Light exhaust sooting is normal.
Very black/oily exhausts tips need investigating. Imagine what's happening to the catalytic convertor...

My car has gone in for its first oil consumption test, was interesting watching my dash cam footage of them in the workshop (obviously didn't click it was on recording with the ignition). At one point they are revving the car hard for about 2 min from cold and laughing and joking how much "f*#kin smoke" there was coming out the back.

My car has gone in for its first oil consumption test, was interesting watching my dash cam footage of them in the workshop (obviously didn't click it was on recording with the ignition). At one point they are revving the car hard for about 2 min from cold and laughing and joking how much "f*#kin smoke" there was coming out the back.

Thats shocking!
I know what I would doing with that dash cam footage mate..
I reckon Charles or Atiq at Audi UK would love to see it - Think a repair will be coming for free and a few techs receiving warnings...

Via the camera cable supplied..
Plenty of length! Routed it from the camera up next to the rear view mirror, across the roof/window lining, down driver side pillar lining, around and under the dash. Then into the centre console campartments 12v socket. All neatly hidden apart from the bit of cable from camera to the roof which isn't much and barely noticeable. I didn't want to go down the route of hard wiring it especially as it's a spare 12v socket that's not used and already hidden away but only powers when the ignition is on. I haven't got any better pics unfortunately as the weather was **** earlier!
However I think it looks good and the iPhone app that can be downloaded with it works well...

Must admit I'm not sure how to do all the routing to get it into the glove compartment. Tempted to put my GoPro on Timelapse on the windscreen when it goes in for the Pistons but of course the power supply wouldn't be switched on for much of the time and not sure the battery would survive

Thats shocking!
I know what I would doing with that dash cam footage mate..
I reckon Charles or Atiq at Audi UK would love to see it - Think a repair will be coming for free and a few techs receiving warnings...

Will take it back when it fails the oil test and see what happens with more footage. Looks like they where reving it to warm the engine which wouldn't seem right to me. Surely they should let it come to temp naturally?

Reactions: Stelly74
Heres the rev footage. You can hear him say..

"Whoo ******* the exhaust black as f*%k on this one.. you can see it going down the f%*king orme"

Then 30 seconds later comments on how "jet fu%ing black" it is again to a colleague whilst revving it hard from cold for the best part of 2 min, hardly sympathetic to my car which at this point isn't up to temperature and is in for an oil consumption test due to a potential problem with the engine...

the final clip shows him shutting the bonnet from fully open, again not what i would expect from an Audi service garage...

what you guys think?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wsjgppya5ghbvdu/AABV-sAoCO96U6UnbDfba1Rsa?dl=0

Last edited: