2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Heres the rev footage. You can hear him say..

"Whoo ******* the exhaust black as f*%k on this one.. you can see it going down the f%*king orme"

Then 30 seconds later comments on how "jet fu%ing black" it is again to a colleague whilst revving it hard from cold for the best part of 2 min, hardly sympathetic to my car which at this point isn't up to temperature and is in for an oil consumption test due to a potential problem with the engine...

the final clip shows him shutting the bonnet from fully open, again not what i would expect from an Audi service garage...

what you guys think?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wsjgppya5ghbvdu/AABV-sAoCO96U6UnbDfba1Rsa?dl=0

It's obvious they don't treat the cars their working on appropriately at that Dealer!
I must say that your car will need the tensioner and maybe chain replacing as it's got quite a noisy ticking/rattling sound at idle. I don't think you even would hear my engine idling on the dash cam after the repair. As for the prolonged revving that will definitely not be doing any favours to the engine.
You have some decent evidence to use if Audi don't play ball mate!..

Interesting statement from Hitchin Audi today - I asked them if they were going to replace the exhaust tips with new ones as the current ones are caked in carbon and oil. They informed me that they have not replaced the tips on any of the repairs to date, but that they had a really good chrome cleaner and would clean them up. I told them that I had read of numerous people on the forums who had had the repair and replacement tips but that I didn't mind whether they are new or cleaned as long as they are shiny - but I will wait with interest to see them get my tips clean - they are a right mess !

To be honest mate if they can clean them up then go for that. Anything looks better from exhausts like this:

To this:

anyone recommend some stuff i can use to clean mine? mine is still covered in carbon and oil....Birmingham Audi didnt clean them up for me after my repair :(

Miss Car xxx

Never had my exhaust tips cleaned or replaced. But I didn't have chrome ones to start with :)

Re the car being revved - I can't tell what revs are being used but it doesn't sound like it's being thrashed. Engine noise, recorded on a dashcam , in a confined space is always going to sound pretty unpleasant.

Car has just been back into Audi Llandudno Junction today & failed the 2nd oil consumption test after the first test returned 1ltr use after 480 miles, to be fair I haven't even to say a word and the car has already been booked in for 2 weeks time for 10 days with cover car of my choice to have the engine repair & rebuild work carried out without charge. Not bad service for a privately bought car with 130,000 miles on the clock, just a shame they didn't do this when I bough the car 2 years ago and it went into a Main dealership to have a look at the oil use back then. Oh well as long as it gets sorted...

Reactions: Tfsi gone
Car has just been back into Audi Llandudno Junction today & failed the 2nd oil consumption test after the first test returned 1ltr use after 480 miles, to be fair I haven't even to say a word and the car has already been booked in for 2 weeks time for 10 days with cover car of my choice to have the engine repair & rebuild work carried out without charge. Not bad service for a privately bought car with 130,000 miles on the clock, just a shame they didn't do this when I bough the car 2 years ago and it went into a Main dealership to have a look at the oil use back then. Oh well as long as it gets sorted...

I'm not getting any service like that from Manchester Audi, the oil test failed about 4 weeks ago now and I've still not got a date for the fix and apparently Audi UK have lost my paper work that Manchester Audi submitted (only got told this yesterday!). The reason is the guy at Audi dealing with my case has left, which seems strange, as why would paper work just disappear if someone has left?

So I think I'm back at square one and have to wait for Audi UK to approve the work :(

I've put 3 liters of oil in since it failed the test which I'm having to pay for as they are refusing to refund me the money for oil..

So i appealed my case with Audi Uk and asked that they review the amount of good will etc that was paid towards my repairs back in december, roughly £1700 of a £4800 bill. They requested all my invoices and photos of my service book to show them my history.

My car only has part Audi history and this was part of the reasoning i was given behind only getting £1700 good will but i got a phone call from Audi Uk at the end of last week telling me that they have reviewed it and im getting the full amount i paid back.

I have no idea what their reasoning is behind it but im not going to argue with them. its taken a while to get sorted but luckily i managed :D

So i appealed my case with Audi Uk and asked that they review the amount of good will etc that was paid towards my repairs back in december, roughly £1700 of a £4800 bill. They requested all my invoices and photos of my service book to show them my history.

My car only has part Audi history and this was part of the reasoning i was given behind only getting £1700 good will but i got a phone call from Audi Uk at the end of last week telling me that they have reviewed it and im getting the full amount i paid back.

I have no idea what their reasoning is behind it but im not going to argue with them. its taken a while to get sorted but luckily i managed :D

Bear in mind that the issue has been identified as a fault in the engine design and cars that have a full Audi service history experience the problem, why would the fact that you, or a previous owner, had the car serviced elsewhere have any effect over the issue arising.

As a result, Audi would struggle to defend charging for the work, unless the car had not been serviced e.g. services missed.

I think you need to ask for your case to be escalated at Audi UK - ask for a case manager to be appointed. Audi were very clear with me that the decision process is delegated to the Audi Centre. They no longer have to refer to Audi UK to get clearance for the repair to be done under goodwill/warranty.

Manchester Audi are stringing you along and using wrong arguments to delay your repair. It may be time to complain !

My experience, and I noted another person today posting the same, was that the car was booked in for repair (albeit in 2 weeks time) immediately it failed the oil test.
I'm not getting any service like that from Manchester Audi, the oil test failed about 4 weeks ago now and I've still not got a date for the fix and apparently Audi UK have lost my paper work that Manchester Audi submitted (only got told this yesterday!). The reason is the guy at Audi dealing with my case has left, which seems strange, as why would paper work just disappear if someone has left?

So I think I'm back at square one and have to wait for Audi UK to approve the work :(

I've put 3 liters of oil in since it failed the test which I'm having to pay for as they are refusing to refund me the money for oil..

I think you need to ask for your case to be escalated at Audi UK - ask for a case manager to be appointed. Audi were very clear with me that the decision process is delegated to the Audi Centre. They no longer have to refer to Audi UK to get clearance for the repair to be done under goodwill/warranty.

Manchester Audi are stringing you along and using incorrect arguments to delay your repair. It may be time to complain !

My experience, and I noted another person today posting the same, was that the car was booked in for repair (albeit in 2 weeks time) immediately it failed the oil test.

I think I need to start an Audi refund service like 'PPI' and charge commission ;)
How many owners have paid for their cars to be fixed and don't realise they can claim the repair costs back...

Consistency in the UK is terrible mate! Keep calling Audi UK as there will be a customer relations manager assigned to your case and they approve the repair and not the dealer. I'm sure you will get a result soon..

Update on the oil usage in my car.
Since my free major service straight after my repair I have done just over 600 miles driving quite 'vigorous' in both town and motorway! The oil level has just dropped a single segment so even with the repair 'bedding' in I'm happy with that consumption...

I think I need to start an Audi refund service like 'PPI' and charge commission ;)

Consistency in the UK is terrible mate! Keep calling Audi UK as there will be a customer relations manager assigned to your case and they approve the repair and not the dealer. I'm sure you will get a result soon...

Mike - it is interesting that Audi UK told me, unequivocally when I called them, that the Audi Centres are "empowered to approve the work to be completed". My experience, when I took my car back to Hitchin Audi for the 2nd reading of the oil test was that the Service Manager said "if it fails, we book it in for the repair". Craigbeal above has had the same experience at Llandudno.

It seems there is an inconsistent situation/message floating around - I do wonder if Audi UK no longer have to get involved in the decision - although this does throw the Manchester Audi situation into question.

While I wait for the repair - I have been monitoring my oil levels - today my oil reading was on its last notch, and dropped to completely empty (minimum) just as I arrived home - I have done 170 miles since the top up at Hitchin Audi. Interestingly, the oil light did not trigger which is worrying ! I put 3/4 litre in and it is now showing full.

Mike - it is interesting that Audi UK told me, unequivocally when I called them, that the Audi Centres are "empowered to approve the work to be completed". My experience, when I took my car back to Hitchin Audi for the 2nd reading of the oil test was that the Service Manager said "if it fails, we book it in for the repair". Craigbeal above has had the same experience at Llandudno.

It seems there is an inconsistent situation/message floating around - I do wonder if Audi UK no longer have to get involved in the decision - although this does throw the Manchester Audi situation into question.

While I wait for the repair - I have been monitoring my oil levels - today my oil reading was on its last notch, and dropped to completely empty (minimum) just as I arrived home - I have done 170 miles since the top up at Hitchin Audi. Interestingly, the oil light did not trigger which is worrying ! I put 3/4 litre in and it is now showing full.

Maybe the dealers do have more input now however the repair 'go ahead' is covered under VW UK warranty so it's the manufacturer that is taking the hit. The dealer doesn't really contribute anything although they like to say they do..
My free servicings, all refunds and correspondence all came from Audi UK. Nothing from the dealer...

Maybe the dealers do have more input now however the repair 'go ahead' is covered under VW UK warranty so it's the manufacturer that is taking the hit. The dealer doesn't really contribute anything although they like to say they do..
My free servicings, all refunds and correspondence all came from Audi UK. Nothing from the dealer...

Hitchin initially tried to tell me that they have to pay 30% of the repair, but then in conversation suggested it might move to 10%. I'm with you, I think Audi must be fully funding the repair now because of the large number that need to be done. I've also seen people being given free servicings like you, free gifts etc - I'm not holding my breath for my case.

However, once repaired, I will have the car I thought I bought.

Hitchin initially tried to tell me that they have to pay 30% of the repair, but then in conversation suggested it might move to 10%. I'm with you, I think Audi must be fully funding the repair now because of the large number that need to be done. I've also seen people being given free servicings like you, free gifts etc - I'm not holding my breath for my case.

However, once repaired, I will have the car I thought I bought.

You can only enquire mate..
When you say you have spoken to Audi UK have you only spoken to the advisors? I have had numerous chats with Charles and Atiq. They are the Audi dedicated customer relations managers who know their stuff and authorise the refunds, free servicings etc..
Talking about correspondence, I have recently received paperwork from Audi Finance confirming my car has a free 2 service maintenance plan.
Wonder if that's after the first free service done last month...

You can only enquire mate..
When you say you have spoken to Audi UK have you only spoken to the advisors? I have had numerous chats with Charles and Atiq. They are the Audi dedicated customer relations managers who know their stuff and authorise the refunds, free servicings etc..
Talking about correspondence, I have recently received paperwork from Audi Finance confirming my car has a free 2 service maintenance plan.
Wonder if that's after the first free service done last month...

Maybe I need to get friendly with Charles and Atiq !

Oil usage getting worse?
The actual low oil warning light won't trigger when the MMI reads nothing. There's probably another quarter of a litre to burn first before you get the dreaded expensive amber light..

Oil usage getting worse?
The actual low oil warning light won't trigger when the MMI reads nothing. There's probably another quarter of a litre to burn first before you get the dreaded expensive amber light..

Ah I see - when I was doing the oil test the warning light came on when there was one notch left on the display so I was expecting similar. However, I had travelled 385 miles at that stage so maybe I'm getting inconsistent readings on the MMI display.

As I mentioned above I have given my car a thorough good blast over the last week or so. Did 400 miles in 2 days over the weekend and that's when the MMI dropped one segment. However it was around Milton Keynes and every ones a drag racer there..
Still on these results 'it shouldn't' require a top up until around 6k...

As I mentioned above I have given my car a thorough good blast over the last week or so. Did 400 miles in 2 days over the weekend and that's when the MMI dropped one segment. However it was around Milton Keynes and every ones a drag racer there..
Still on these results 'it shouldn't' require a top up until around 6k...

I'm hoping to give my car a bit of a run on this weekend and pop over to Blenheim for the classic cars (I'm Dunstable based). I still haven't had the chance to get it out on the open road for a decent length of time apart from a trip to Coventry on the motorway (boring 50mph for 90% of the journey)

The best bit of giving the car a good blast was there was no black smoke chugging out the back so it now deserves the TFSI badge..
A Honda Civic Type R tried keeping up but unsuccessfully disappeared quite quickly in my rear view mirror and not from the smoke...

Hi guys just wondering if anybody can tell me how far the car can be driven when the red light comes on as i live approximately 18 mls from my audi dealer ?

Now I have a feeling there are two oil lights - a warning light which is Amber and a Red light. I tried asking Audi UK how many miles I had when Amber and they suggested 35. I believe but don't know for sure, that if you get a red light you must stop driving immediately. However no one seems to give a clear message. My service receptionist just said I must get it back immediately the light went on - I asked her what to do if I was 100 miles away and she had no answer[

i picked up a 2011 cpo that was just back off lease return. i went through 1 quart in about 1200km. i called my dealer and they booked me in for the 1st step of the fix (ecu flash, pvc valve, and a gasket? forget which one) they didn't even do a consumption test. he said they would do it if this first "fix" didn't work. I've put about 2000km on it since, and the oil level has moved down just one step on the mmi reading. I'm happy with that.

Hi Garfybeds according to my owners manual there is a yellow engine oil level indicator lamp and also a red engine oil level warning lamp the yellow one saying add oil and the red one saying add oil immediately if this is the case i will need to find out how far i can drive with the yellow light on, they never told me that when i booked the car in .

Mike j - youve answered my question about the oil lights , i see from your post the amber light comes on first , dont suppose you no how far you can drive before the red light comes on , i suppose it all depends on the car , but you rekon the light doesnt come on immediately when the MMI is showing empty ?If thats the case that would be a good time for me to head to my dealers , when i see the MMI shows empty.

Mike j - youve answered my question about the oil lights , i see from your post the amber light comes on first , dont suppose you no how far you can drive before the red light comes on , i suppose it all depends on the car , but you rekon the light doesnt come on immediately when the MMI is showing empty ?If thats the case that would be a good time for me to head to my dealers , when i see the MMI shows empty.
The yellow warning is a reminder to fill up with oil as soon as practical. The red warning is stop and refill immediately. It does differ as you say. I wouldnt think there will be much difference though with an unfixed oil burner..
As regards to the MMI, it will take a while after it reads zero for these warnings to occur. The max to min is 1 litre. My car had one segment remaining and Audi confirmed it used 0.9 litres during the test. So if any car reads under half way then it will almost certainly fail the oil consumption test and require the repair...

Mike j - I said this to the girl at the service desk , about taking the car back if only a quarter showed on the MMI ,her reply was the light has to come on and they would have to run the car until the light came on

Mike j - I said this to the girl at the service desk , about taking the car back if only a quarter showed on the MMI ,her reply was the light has to come on and they would have to run the car until the light came on

She is correct in that you have to either complete the 621 miles or the yellow light comes on. Which happens first ends the oil consumption test.
How many miles you done?..

Hi Mike the cars booked in for tuesday but she also said that it could be in for half to a full day as they might have to fit some parts do you think this is write , just reading through a few other posts and they say its done in 5 parts
The usual process with this issue involves up to five(!) visits to the dealer:
  1. Top up and weigh oil, Start consumption test.
  2. Owner drives 1000km (620 miles), oil is drained and weighed. PASS if < 0.5L used
  3. If fail, another visit to dealer for first stage rectification : ECU firmware upgrade, vacuum unit change(?). Top up and re-weigh oil...
  4. Owner drives 1000km (620 miles), oil is drained and weighed. PASS if < 0.5L used
  5. If fail, replace pistons and rings. $$$$ but it sounds like they might replace some parts on tuesday ???

Hi Mike the cars booked in for tuesday but she also said that it could be in for half to a full day as they might have to fit some parts do you think this is write , just reading through a few other posts and they say its done in 5 parts
The usual process with this issue involves up to five(!) visits to the dealer:
  1. Top up and weigh oil, Start consumption test.
  2. Owner drives 1000km (620 miles), oil is drained and weighed. PASS if < 0.5L used
  3. If fail, another visit to dealer for first stage rectification : ECU firmware upgrade, vacuum unit change(?). Top up and re-weigh oil...
  4. Owner drives 1000km (620 miles), oil is drained and weighed. PASS if < 0.5L used
  5. If fail, replace pistons and rings. $$$$ but it sounds like they might replace some parts on tuesday ???

That's the old way of Audi drawing out the process mate..
If the car now fails the first oil consumption test its straight to the rebuild and not down the route of changing the PCV/software update before repeating the oil consumption test.

Another point , ive just had a major service , oil filter ,spark plugs , air filter etc , nothing mentioned about sooty tail pipes or plugs

Think im reading to much into this now , probably better wait and see how it goes.:blahblah1:

Another point , ive just had a major service , oil filter ,spark plugs , air filter etc , nothing mentioned about sooty tail pipes or plugs

I bet the Sparks needed replacing mate! Mine were covered in oil..
It's a shame it's been serviced as the rebuild pretty much incorporates all the elements of a service. That's why Audi are offering 'free' servicings after the rebuild...
I wouldn't worry about nothing as when it's fixed they make the car special again!

Thats the car in Audi now , get it back tomorrow , she said it might need some parts but i thought they just emptied the oil then measured out 4.6 litres and refilled it !!

Hi guys,

After getting the cam control valve fixed had to do the consumption test. After the first stage they found the cam control valve to be leaking again. After getting the cam control valve fixed again had to re-do the consumption test. Had the the stage 2 done yesterday, which had failed. The service adviser said I would need to make a contribution to the re build as I didn't have a full Audi service history. He said he was sending my documents to the manufacturer in Germany which I thought was a it wrong.

I phoned Audi UK as soon as I left Audi Leeds. The women at Audi UK phoned Audi Leedsto tell the service advisor the correct procedure. She also said it would take a week to come to a decision. 2 hrs later had a phone call from Audi Leeds saying the re build was getting done free of charge and is currently booked in for the 14th September. The work will take 3 days to complete.

It's taken forever to get to this point. Happy days.

Chased Audi UK today about my case as not really getting any answers, and apparently I don't have a case on file yet! My car failed the oil test on the 3rd of August so a month on nothing has been submitted to Audi UK.... not happy with Audi Manchester just been strung a long by the sounds of it..

I'm also on to my 5th liter of oil I've had to top up..

Chased Audi UK today about my case as not really getting any answers, and apparently I don't have a case on file yet! My car failed the oil test on the 3rd of August so a month on nothing has been submitted to Audi UK.... not happy with Audi Manchester just been strung a long by the sounds of it..

I'm also on to my 5th liter of oil I've had to top up..

When I phones Audi UK yesterday they said they don't open cases anymore. Each customer is reviewed and will have a reply with in a week.

The woman at Audi UK phoned the service advisor at Audi Leeds and spoke to him straight away.

I had a result with in 2 hrs telling my I had a free rebuild.

When I phones Audi UK yesterday they said they don't open cases anymore. Each customer is reviewed and will have a reply with in a week.

The woman at Audi UK phoned the service advisor at Audi Leeds and spoke to him straight away.

I had a result with in 2 hrs telling my I had a free rebuild.

Like someone said on here there is no consistency on this... I haven't a clue what's going on now, just getting fed up as not getting anywhere, it's been a month now since the car failed the test :(