2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

My car still works so hanging on. Part ex on it is increasing with the TDI's now decreasing. That's all atm..
GTR coming soon...

Reactions: mancdan
Hi All looking or advice my car has just failed part 2 of oil consunption test , i put the car in on tuesday morning , Highland Audi phoned me this morning to say that Audi UK want me to pay 20 percent of the bill because of some gap in servicing , i have had the car seviced regularly since the three years ive had it , they say that it will be roughly £1200 pounds , i dont think that i should be paying anything as some people have had theres done free o charge without a full service history !

Hi All looking or advice my car has just failed part 2 of oil consunption test , i put the car in on tuesday morning , Highland Audi phoned me this morning to say that Audi UK want me to pay 20 percent of the bill because of some gap in servicing , i have had the car seviced regularly since the three years ive had it , they say that it will be roughly £1200 pounds , i dont think that i should be paying anything as some people have had theres done free o charge without a full service history !

Give Audi UK a ring Kev and insist they sort it with the dealer!
Unfortunately some owners have had to do a bit of complaining and haggling to get the contribution costs down. As you said it should be free regardless of service history as these 'new' parts should have been fitted at manufacture! Keep complaining and sure you will get a result mate..

Hi Mike cheers for replying , i phoned up Highland Audi again and they said the problem is that the car has missed a service before i bought it ,i bought it in 2012 and have serviced it at Audi every time , when i bought the car in 2012 there was no service light on and i think it was 2013 when i got it serviced next Audi are saying that the gap is to big between services . I then phoned up Audi UK who then said that they were looking into my case and would phone me tomorrow , but its Audi UK who are saying that i should pay 20 percent , hope this makes sence .

Kevin. Try putting this to them. The problem occurs whether the vehicles have full service history with Audi, or with anyone else. Why, therefore, do they consider customer partial liability for an Audi design fault which had been widely documented. The lack of service history cannot be attributed to the underlying problem of the piston ring issues that have been widely and publicly documented.

Reactions: Tfsi gone and mancdan
Hi All, does anyone have any experience from Audi with a 2008 (58) car? I've only had the car 2 weeks, got the low oil warning, topped it up with a litre which pretty much got the gauge back to the top and it's come on again after 300 miles. From the information that I can find it's the same TFSI engine, EA888? which was from 2008 onwards, is this correct?

Hi Garfybeds cheers for that , i will say that to them when they call me the day .

Hi All, does anyone have any experience from Audi with a 2008 (58) car? I've only had the car 2 weeks, got the low oil warning, topped it up with a litre which pretty much got the gauge back to the top and it's come on again after 300 miles. From the information that I can find it's the same TFSI engine, EA888? which was from 2008 onwards, is this correct?
i thought it was 09 to 2011 cars which were affected. however you may have a late 2008 car which was model year 2009 and have the affected engine. given the oil you are using it would suggest so.

whip it in to Audi and find out.

Just an update ..finally got my car back today after its rebuild,halesowen audi gave me a 15 plate sline a4 courtesy car for the week whilst mine was in,they waived all fees for that.
asked for the cam tensioners to be done and was told i would have to pay as it's not part of the rebuild kit,went in today to find they rebuilt the engine with new chain and adjusters etc for no extra charge,they also serviced the car and changed the spark plugs even though they were less than a 1000 miles old(probably fouled though),stamped the book and reset the service reading on mmi
the only niggle is a lack of paperwork confirming the rebuild etc but was told they may be able to send me some paperwork for my folder once audi uk have closed the case.
all in all im very happy with the way i've been treated,the whole process including consumption tests has cost me nothing but time,
thanks to all on this forum for there advise and support.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
I am also waiting for Audi paperwork re the build. Hitchin Audi also said they have to wait for the case to be settled to them before they can give that to me.

I didn't get the free service and stamp though - bit disappointed in that.

Just a we update had a customer care manager phoning me yesterday afternoon about the situation asking about the servicing etc , he then said that he would contact Highland Audi and Audi U.K and would be in touch again about a week ? He then said Audi U.K would probably contact me before that .

i thought it was 09 to 2011 cars which were affected. however you may have a late 2008 car which was model year 2009 and have the affected engine. given the oil you are using it would suggest so.

whip it in to Audi and find out.

Thanks, yes they've confirmed that it's the engine with the issue. Went into Audi Huntingdon today so now going through 1st stage testing so we'll see how that goes. They're dealing with Audi UK at the moment apparently but won't confirm cost/contribution until after the 1st stage has been done.

Kevin. Try putting this to them. The problem occurs whether the vehicles have full service history with Audi, or with anyone else. Why, therefore, do they consider customer partial liability for an Audi design fault which had been widely documented. The lack of service history cannot be attributed to the underlying problem of the piston ring issues that have been widely and publicly documented.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Just an update ..finally got my car back today after its rebuild,halesowen audi gave me a 15 plate sline a4 courtesy car for the week whilst mine was in,they waived all fees for that.
asked for the cam tensioners to be done and was told i would have to pay as it's not part of the rebuild kit,went in today to find they rebuilt the engine with new chain and adjusters etc for no extra charge,they also serviced the car and changed the spark plugs even though they were less than a 1000 miles old(probably fouled though),stamped the book and reset the service reading on mmi
the only niggle is a lack of paperwork confirming the rebuild etc but was told they may be able to send me some paperwork for my folder once audi uk have closed the case.
all in all im very happy with the way i've been treated,the whole process including consumption tests has cost me nothing but time,
thanks to all on this forum for there advise and support.

I never recieved an itemised invoice either, however I was shown it by a service advisor when I had my first free service in July. That was when I saw the evidence that my cam chain adjuster & tensioner were changed with the most recent modified parts.

Just a we update had a customer care manager phoning me yesterday afternoon about the situation asking about the servicing etc , he then said that he would contact Highland Audi and Audi U.K and would be in touch again about a week ? He then said Audi U.K would probably contact me before that .

Keep onto them Kev and you should get a result mate. That's seems to be the common theme among us owners who have already been through the process. The more you persist the more likely it will and should be free!

Thanks, yes they've confirmed that it's the engine with the issue. Went into Audi Huntingdon today so now going through 1st stage testing so we'll see how that goes. They're dealing with Audi UK at the moment apparently but won't confirm cost/contribution until after the 1st stage has been done.

Hi Adam, your car will undoubtedly fail and the repair certainly does improve the car drastically as other members here will agree. Just ensure they change the parts I mentioned above otherwise the repair could be a waste of time mate..

Last edited:
I reported my A5 when i bought it back in 2010, only to be told it was all ok. Now it's drinking 5L every 350 miles - They are now on with running the test and will obviously have to carry uot all repairs free of Charge.

I reported my A5 when i bought it back in 2010, only to be told it was all ok. Now it's drinking 5L every 350 miles - They are now on with running the test and will obviously have to carry uot all repairs free of Charge.

Really, 5 litres per 350 miles? That must be the new record on here!!
How come it's only taken you until now to get it fixed? That's more expensive than the fuel consumption itself! Those piston rings must have been giving the last rites years ago mate..
Least it will be fixed for free...

Yes really! It was initially 600 miles, but after it went in for the first stage of the oil consumption test its dropped to 345 to be precise.
I told them about it on the first service in 2010 (it's noted on my service sheet) and I was just told it was common for a turbo and a new car. I continued to report it but they never admitted their was a problem. What I know about cars is about as much as a mechanic would know about binary computer coding. And unfortunately in this case, financially I'm secure hence I didn't make a big deal out of it.
I've told them I will be pursuing a claim to recover all my costs regards the purchase of engine oil.

Yes really! It was initially 600 miles, but after it went in for the first stage of the oil consumption test its dropped to 345 to be precise.
I told them about it on the first service in 2010 (it's noted on my service sheet) and I was just told it was common for a turbo and a new car. I continued to report it but they never admitted their was a problem. What I know about cars is about as much as a mechanic would know about binary computer coding. And unfortunately in this case, financially I'm secure hence I didn't make a big deal out of it.
I've told them I will be pursuing a claim to recover all my costs regards the purchase of engine oil.

Good luck with the claim for oil. Can't see Audi reimbursing you but the car should be fixed for free..

Finally got the Audi back on Friday. Overall experience with Manchester Audi wasn't great, loads of error getting my case to Audi, hardly any communication I had to chase everything. They promised to keep my update regularly but they didn't. As for the courtesy car I had a 3 door A3 which isn't the best thing to use when you have a family of 4 and a dog to fit in.

Also I know its a small thing but I did ask from them to look at my rear AC socket as the flap had been kicked off and for the life of me I couldn't work out how to put the spring and pin back together. They said it had been looked at and fixed but it hasn't, it's just the same as I left it.

Car feel much smoother as people have reported so defiantly feels more fresh.

Hi All after been told that i would have to pay 20 percent , i was given a number and a womans name at Audi UK , i phoned her to be told by someone else that my case was being reviewed and i would be called the next morning , i never heard anything till the following afternoon when i was contacted by a customer relations manager who asked about the service history etc , he then said he would speak to Highland Audi and Audi UK , five days later and still no contact so i called C.R Manager back who seemed surprised that i hadnt been contacted and he said he would contact highland Audi .Highland Audi then called to say that they were sorry i wasnt contacted and the person dealing with my case was off but they were paying 100 percent of the costs .I then called Highland on wednesday to see how it was going to find out it would be ready on Wednesday afternoon so i said i would pick it up on Thursday morning .Went up Thursday morning to be told there was a misfire and they were changing the oil so left .I then phoned friday and they said it was ready but i couldnt pick it up so went up on Monday morning , car was ready drove it home checked the MMI and it shows 3/4 full , i called Highland Audi to be told that they dont fill it right up when they change the oil ??? So when i said that it was full when i did the oil consumption test she just said thats different , so i dont no . anyone comments welcome , Cheers

Just monitor if it drops. Mind has gone down one notch in 500+ miles since the work was done

Bit of an update. Car failed the oil consumption test yesterday after 520 miles. Would be interested to know if they put extra oil in at the first test as it only did 300 from max to min before I took it in. The gauge hadn't dropped at 200, I was slightly worried it might even pass. Car booked in for next week but Huntingdon audi are asking for invoices from old service history before they put the warrenty case to Audi UK. I've got one without any problems but not looking good for the last one so have to wait and see what they come back with.

Has anyone been reimbursed the cost of the stage 1 and stage 2 oil consumption tests after the fix has been done?

As far as I am aware people are not being charged for the tests nowadays.

I think I have read somewhere that where people previously paid for the tests they have been able to recover the costs from Audi UK

Has anyone been reimbursed the cost of the stage 1 and stage 2 oil consumption tests after the fix has been done?

I was reimbursed by Audi UK with a cheque for both tests totalling £120.

However as an added extra (as I have mentioned on this thread previously) they also agreed to provide 2 free servicings with the first 'Major' service including brake fluid change carried out in July..

Last edited:
Reactions: ianv5
Hi All after been told that i would have to pay 20 percent , i was given a number and a womans name at Audi UK , i phoned her to be told by someone else that my case was being reviewed and i would be called the next morning , i never heard anything till the following afternoon when i was contacted by a customer relations manager who asked about the service history etc , he then said he would speak to Highland Audi and Audi UK , five days later and still no contact so i called C.R Manager back who seemed surprised that i hadnt been contacted and he said he would contact highland Audi .Highland Audi then called to say that they were sorry i wasnt contacted and the person dealing with my case was off but they were paying 100 percent of the costs .I then called Highland on wednesday to see how it was going to find out it would be ready on Wednesday afternoon so i said i would pick it up on Thursday morning .Went up Thursday morning to be told there was a misfire and they were changing the oil so left .I then phoned friday and they said it was ready but i couldnt pick it up so went up on Monday morning , car was ready drove it home checked the MMI and it shows 3/4 full , i called Highland Audi to be told that they dont fill it right up when they change the oil ??? So when i said that it was full when i did the oil consumption test she just said thats different , so i dont no . anyone comments welcome , Cheers

My oil level showing the same when i picked it up. 1200miles on still sit at 3/4. couldn't be more happier!

Reactions: DKat
My Audi Q5 will get engine rebuild in two weeks time as my dealership have quite a few cars to fix!!! Car only managed 300 miles in oil test before light came on. The process was pretty painless and I cannot fault my dealer (had to wait 4 days for approval from Audi UK) My partner also had his Audi fixed at no cost due to same issue. I'm even more excited as my courtesy car will be the new Audi TT which I'll get to drive for a week.

think i mentioned this elsewhere, but when i got home (about 12 miles) after the work, i checked my MMI and the oil was sowing about 3/4 - i called the dealers and they said all was ok, the MMI just fluctuates etc etc. Anyway, done about 3k miles and not had a top-up light on so far!

think i mentioned this elsewhere, but when i got home (about 12 miles) after the work, i checked my MMI and the oil was sowing about 3/4 - i called the dealers and they said all was ok, the MMI just fluctuates etc etc. Anyway, done about 3k miles and not had a top-up light on so far!

Seems like this is a common theme on here guys!

Forget about these fixed engines now using oil as they don't!! I was paranoid at first when mine dropped a bar on the MMI but it's now back at maximum over 1000 miles since the recent 'Free' service! All these repaired cars are definitely fine! It's just every other car that isn't repaired will bring the retail price down. Come on readers - get them repaired. If not for the car but for your wallet! It's also free..

Any owner on here will agree it is like driving a new TFSI when they are fixed! Plenty quick and now not a wallet woofer!

There's also the incentive of a 2 yr guarantee on the repaired parts and 4 yrs servicing if your knackers are big enough to stand up to Audi UK and ask...

Last edited:
Reactions: CHEZ
Been very quiet on here lately so it's a good sign. Just a follow up to those without the diesels the TFSI when repaired is such a good car!!

Hi all. So far so good since the repair. Its used a drop and the mmi gauge keeps fluctuating near the top but all in all it seems to be spot on.

One thing I'm not sure about is the mpg I'm getting. I'm averaging around 29mpg on a short 10 min run to work. I've got the 120bhp 1.8tfsi A4 avant and I thought since the repair I would average slightly more. It's no biggy but it was probably averaging the same before the repair.

Any ideas or advice

Cheers
Adam

Hi all. So far so good since the repair. Its used a drop and the mmi gauge keeps fluctuating near the top but all in all it seems to be spot on.

One thing I'm not sure about is the mpg I'm getting. I'm averaging around 29mpg on a short 10 min run to work. I've got the 120bhp 1.8tfsi A4 avant and I thought since the repair I would average slightly more. It's no biggy but it was probably averaging the same before the repair.

Any ideas or advice

Cheers
Adam

Just be glad it's not a diesel!

Seriously, never believe the manufacturers claims on economy figures. Be interesting to see what happens with the petrols and the claimed co2 emissions! Another scandal?

Anyway mpg doesn't worry me personally but saying that on a recent long drive mine easily achieved 40 plus. Best bit was there is still no oil usage..
Dare I say the petrols are definitely now becoming the owners choice?

Just be glad it's not a diesel!

Seriously, never believe the manufacturers claims on economy figures. Be interesting to see what happens with the petrols and the claimed co2 emissions! Another scandal?

Anyway mpg doesn't worry me personally but saying that on a recent long drive mine easily achieved 40 plus. Best bit was there is still no oil usage..
Dare I say the petrols are definitely now becoming the owners choice?
On long runs it's getting 39 40 which is fine. It's just the shorter runs it seems to be drinking fuel..

Considering a remap but don't wanna wreck the clutch. I heard this can improve mpg as well as performance.

I do think there will be a lot more to this scandal. Not only for vag owners but wider spread. Maybe even petrol like you say.

On long runs it's getting 39 40 which is fine. It's just the shorter runs it seems to be drinking fuel..

Considering a remap but don't wanna wreck the clutch. I heard this can improve mpg as well as performance.

I do think there will be a lot more to this scandal. Not only for vag owners but wider spread. Maybe even petrol like you say.

Adam - I would say 29mpg from a 1.8 (120) around town is about right.

My S-Tronic Quattro 2.0 TFSi (211) gets around 21/22 mpg on stop start journeys around town, and I have a stage 1 revo map taking it to approx 265bhp. (i personally think the remap does absolutely nothing for mpg)

As an example, I put £20 of unleaded in on Monday, I have done 60 miles so far this week and DIS says 25 miles left!

Adam - I would say 29mpg from a 1.8 (120) around town is about right.

My S-Tronic Quattro 2.0 TFSi (211) gets around 21/22 mpg on stop start journeys around town, and I have a stage 1 revo map taking it to approx 265bhp. (i personally think the remap does absolutely nothing for mpg)

As an example, I put £20 of unleaded in on Monday, I have done 60 miles so far this week and DIS says 25 miles left!
Right ok. Guess I'm used to smaller cars fuel economy. Had a 1.6 diesel ds3 before which used to run for ever. Even in town.

Might still look into the remap for a tad more power.

Reactions: mancdan
Hi all. I have just purchased a 2010 a4 avant 2.0 tfsi 211bhp and have immediately experienced the oil consumption issue described on this forum. My car is booked in this week for the stage one consumption test that I am sure it will fail. Can I ask for advise about what I need to insist on when they repair the car. Am I correct in the following:

1. Audi should pay the full cost (I have FASH)
2. I should ask for free servicing following the repair
3. They should provide a free courtesy car for the duration of the repair.
4. The repairs should be guaranteed
5. I should receive an invoice for the repairs

Is there anything I have missed and also is there anything particular I should insist that they do during the repair?

Also, will the car be more fuel efficient after the repairs?

Thanks very much

Hi all. I have just purchased a 2010 a4 avant 2.0 tfsi 211bhp and have immediately experienced the oil consumption issue described on this forum. My car is booked in this week for the stage one consumption test that I am sure it will fail. Can I ask for advise about what I need to insist on when they repair the car. Am I correct in the following:

1. Audi should pay the full cost (I have FASH)
2. I should ask for free servicing following the repair
3. They should provide a free courtesy car for the duration of the repair.
4. The repairs should be guaranteed
5. I should receive an invoice for the repairs

Is there anything I have missed and also is there anything particular I should insist that they do during the repair?

Also, will the car be more fuel efficient after the repairs?

Thanks very much

Hi Paul,

1. Yes Audi will repair the vehicle for free if the service history is full and current with Audi.
2. Enquire about a free service. Mine was authorised by Audi UK, however it was the dealer who offered it as a service package (3-5 yr old cars - See Audi website for info).
3. Yes, but depends on courtesy car availability.
4. Replaced parts guarantee for 2 years.
5. I wasn't given an itemised invoice but I did request to see it at my recent free service. That's when I had confirmation the Cam Chain Adjuster and Tensioner were also changed. Request these are changed otherwise there is a likelihood the chain will slip in the future!

My Oil reading on the MMI is still at maximum since the free service in July and can't really comment on the fuel consumption before and after as I don't do huge mileage. However on a motorway run it hits around 50mpg. Half that around town..

Hope this helps mate...

Hi Paul,

1. Yes Audi will repair the vehicle for free if the service history is full and current with Audi.
2. Enquire about a free service. Mine was authorised by Audi UK, however it was the dealer who offered it as a service package (3-5 yr old cars - See Audi website for info).
3. Yes, but depends on courtesy car availability.
4. Replaced parts guarantee for 2 years.
5. I wasn't given an itemised invoice but I did request to see it at my recent free service. That's when I had confirmation the Cam Chain Adjuster and Tensioner were also changed. Request these are changed otherwise there is a likelihood the chain will slip in the future!

My Oil reading on the MMI is still at maximum since the free service in July and can't really comment on the fuel consumption before and after as I don't do huge mileage. However on a motorway run it hits around 50mpg. Half that around town..

Hope this helps mate...

Thanks Mike.

Car is in the middle of oil consumption test and mmi is showing only one block of oil left after 350 miles so it looks like it is going to fail.

Hopefully Norwich Audi will play ball and get it sorted quickly!

Hi All, I was told by the dealer that I'd have to pay part of the modification costs as I didn't have the invoice for the last service, 60K service, car is now on 65K. Garage who are supposed to have serviced it said that they had record on their system of work done to my car. I've only had the car 2 months, all this was done before I got it.

I called the dealer, Huntingdon Audi, after not hearing anything for a week, was told they were still waiting to hear back from Audi Uk. Called them myself and again didn't hear anything for another week. Viv from Audi Uk called me back, very apologetic, some kind of mix up between the Audi Huntingdon and Audi Uk. Anyway she was very helpful, said if I could get the garage to agree in writing that they did the service I didn't necessarily need the invoice. After a couple of phone calls I got no where with the service information so resigned myself to the fact that I was going to end up with a fair size bill to get the work done.

Anyway this afternoon I got a call back from Viv saying that they'd cover 100% of the costs. Called the dealer and it's booked in next week to have the work done. :)

Also wanted to say a big thank you to Mike J and everyone else who has put their stories on here. I was really worried when I realised what was wrong and had got my car from an Independent dealer without full Audi history. It was so good to get everyone's experiences and all the relevant information/ammo to go forward with this. Not sure if I'm lucky to get this without being able to prove oil type on all services or if Audi have started to pay for the fix now on everone? Either way I 'm very relieved and I should get my car done before xmas.

Can't understand why Huntingdon Audi took so long? I purchased my car from an independent so last service was non audi. Car failed both oil consumption tests and Audi Huntingdon paid in full for the fix. Car also had a stage one Revo remap and 98k on the clock! Surprisingly audi left remap on after work completed. Now on 108k, one blip with blocked oil breather. Uses no oil and pulls like a train.

Out of interest did you pay for the oil consumption tests?