2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Well I'm still on the oil consumption test after taking it for service etc about 4 weeks ago ( I don't do many miles ), currently on 490 miles and oil level still at max! Can't believe it, am I the first person ever to have it sorted by a software update etc! Or is it just because it was in desperate need of a service and needed some new ( thicker ) oil in it.
I'm not sure how I feel about it passing the test if I'm honest. Happy, but then are they saying that just because it passed now it'll always be OK?? What happens it 3 years from now when it starts getting worse? Also, I hope they give me something in writting to say it passed the test, just for the future when I want to sell the car...

Just hope they didn't over fill it.. Software update will definitely not fix the problem mate!

Well I just had Audi contact me yesterday and said they are sending me a cheque for my contributions and to cover the cost of replacing the exhaust trim! Result!!!! They wouldn't compensate me for all the oil I used though.

Reactions: Tfsi gone
Possible to buy and fit yourself. I thought these were welded on ? I would to replace mine as they are as black as hell and have some stubborn marks I can't shift with autosol

Well I just had Audi contact me yesterday and said they are sending me a cheque for my contributions and to cover the cost of replacing the exhaust trim! Result!!!! They wouldn't compensate me for all the oil I used though.
Great result mate!

As for the chrome exhaust tips, the genuine ones are £50 from Audi and are screw fitment.
They certainly give the car that new look again and is a visible carbon area to keep an eye on after the rebuild...
Mine are still looking brand new 5 months on and at best get a light sooting that wipes off straight away.

Last edited:
Got a real bad feeling ive got an oil issue...
1.8 Tfsi
I had an oil change done as it was at 1/4 left
Which put it to 3/4
Now I'm back at 1/4 and it's been about one month and I barely drive :(

Got some oil left to top it up but how much should I drop in at a time guys?

You don't say what year & model it is mate etc..? A4 or A3?
I would get the car booked into Audi asap and if it is soon don't put any oil in unless you have to. They will drain the oil and refill to max in order to conduct an oil consumption test. However as another member mentioned in the Audi Oil Consumption Group today they may be shortening the test:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/groupd...ar-model-engine-and-year.21/discussion?page=2

You don't say what year & model it is mate etc..? A4 or A3?
I would get the car booked into Audi asap and if it is soon don't put any oil in unless you have to. They will drain the oil and refill to max in order to conduct an oil consumption test. However as another member mentioned in the Audi Oil Consumption Group today they may be shortening the test:

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/groupd...ar-model-engine-and-year.21/discussion?page=2
Sorry mate
Yeah it's a b8 2009
I've got it booked In with main dealer in Thursday cause my central locking is playing up so I'll mention it to em :(
I don't have the cash flow to pay for bust Pistons and the likes of that stuff, so I might be leaving the Audi club soon lol :(

It's been weird really though because, it had full oil when I bought it (MMi screen) in November 2014, it ran all the way to June 2015 and got to 1/4 left so I had ATSA do an oil change while I was having a tyre done,
And that put it at 3/4 and literally in a month it's back to 1/4
Doesn't sound right to me but hey...
Could it be possible they used a cheaper oil, I'm sure it was shell helix ultra

Fingers crossed will keep updated

Ok mate. I would give them a call before it does go in. They don't charge now for the diagnosis and oil test. Has the car got a reasonable service history? As I have mentioned through this thread its not exclusive to the 2.0. There are 1.8 A3's also failing tests and getting free rebuilds. Newer Audi's have had the oil problems resolved however its the VAG manufacturing of these engines between late 2008 and mid 2011 that's at fault!

Ok mate. I would give them a call before it does go in. They don't charge now for the diagnosis and oil test. Has the car got a reasonable service history? As I have mentioned through this thread its not exclusive to the 2.0. There are 1.8 A3's also failing tests and getting free rebuilds. Newer Audi's have had the oil problems resolved however its the VAG manufacturing of these engines between late 2008 and mid 2011 that's at fault!

Thanks a lot mate appreciate your knowledge, I will ring them tommorow and Mention it, they mentioned a 'health and top of fluid check' last time I was in for free, but they didn't get round to it as im back in for the locking fault

Worst case is an engine rebuild i take it... :(

Don't worry about it mate.
Your in the ideal time and situation for Audi to take care of this problem without any hassle. I had a nightmare back in Febuary going through the ordeal like others in the past but since then things have moved on drastically. The fact BBC's Watchdog have reported on the subject and the imminent release of the B9 model has seen owners being treated far better. Once fixed the cars are great so I wouldn't let it sway your mind from Audi just yet...

Don't worry about it mate.
Your in the ideal time and situation for Audi to take care of this problem without any hassle. I had a nightmare back in Febuary going through the ordeal like others in the past but since then things have moved on drastically. The fact BBC's Watchdog have reported on the subject and the imminent release of the B9 model has seen owners being treated far better. Once fixed the cars are great so I wouldn't let it sway your mind from Audi just yet...

But do you think they would help me at all considering mines a 2009? As in completely out of warranty lol,

Definitely. Doesn't need to be in warranty. Just a reasonable service history confirming oil changes have been carried out - doesn't need to have full Audi! Look back through some of this thread. (Know it's a long read but there's some really good info!)
It shouldn't cost you anything apart from the fuel taking the car to and from the dealer. Probably get a new Audi for a week or so to blast around in whilst they fix this known problem.
What's more is that after my car was fixed outside warranty they are even giving the next 4 yrs servicing free...

Model: A5 Coupe
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine: 2.0 TFSI
Mileage: 75000
History: Five Audi Stamps
Oil consumption: 1 litre per 180 miles.

Model: A5 Coupe
Year: 2009 (59)
Engine: 2.0 TFSI
Mileage: 75000
History: Five Audi Stamps
Oil consumption: 1 litre per 180 miles.

That's bad consumption mate..! What's the current status? Being fixed etc..?

For those new reading this thread there is also an Audi Oil Consumption Problem Group where more of this information is posted.

See the Groups tab and please join...

Definitely. Doesn't need to be in warranty. Just a reasonable service history confirming oil changes have been carried out - doesn't need to have full Audi! Look back through some of this thread. (Know it's a long read but there's some really good info!)
It shouldn't cost you anything apart from the fuel taking the car to and from the dealer. Probably get a new Audi for a week or so to blast around in whilst they fix this known problem.
What's more is that after my car was fixed outside warranty they are even giving the next 4 yrs servicing free...

Wow Mike they sure looked after you!
Why do I feel like I need to push the right buttons with them so they don't fob me off lol

You don't need to do anything mate. Audi are now fully aware of how to deal with this problem! As long as your assertive with them and have knowledge on the subject you will be fine. Maybe that's why I have had such a good result.. What with this forum...

Reactions: razza1
Well thanks a lot mate you'll make me sleep easier tonight, was dreading that Bill!

Reactions: Tfsi gone
That's bad consumption mate..! What's the current status? Being fixed etc..?

For those new reading this thread there is also an Audi Oil Consumption Problem Group where more of this information is posted.

See the Groups tab and please join...

Status.... Had the Oil consumption test done 11 days ago & obviously failed, now waiting for word from Audi UK, fingers crossed on there decision.

Status.... Had the Oil consumption test done 11 days ago & obviously failed, now waiting for word from Audi UK, fingers crossed on there decision.

You will be fine mate! Don't need to cross ur fingers and worry unnecessarily!
You spoken to Audi UK yourself? I have spoken numerous times to them and to both Audi UK's dedicated Customer Relations Managers - Both Charles and Atiq will try their best to help resolve the problem.

You will be fine mate! Don't need to cross ur fingers and worry unnecessarily!
You spoken to Audi UK yourself? I have spoken numerous times to them and to both Audi UK's dedicated Customer Relations Managers - Both Charles and Atiq will try their best to help resolve the problem.

Yes mate spoke to Audi UK & the guy said that there was a bit of a back log & i should here something this week from the Audi Garage that carried out Oil test. Maybe i am worrying unnecessarily! Cheers for the reassurance. Will post my outcome.

Done approx 500 miles since the works done on my car and noticed earlier that the oil level has gone down a little...anyone experienced the same???

Done approx 500 miles since the works done on my car and noticed earlier that the oil level has gone down a little...anyone experienced the same???

My didn't move at all but having said that it did fluctuate when the oil temp was cold. Try checking the MMI oil level a few mins after a good run with just the ignition on..
My car has just had a major service recently (free by Audi) so the proof will be in the oil consumption between now and the next free minor service.
I would expect a little oil usage especially with new piston rings bedding in but I take it that it's much better than before the rebuild?..

I noticed some very erratic behaviour after getting my A4 fixed. MMI oil level went down to less than a quarter full after about 500 miles (which is as bad as it was before the fix).

Since then it has gone back up again (?) to about half full. Not sure how that has happened. Have done about 1100 miles now but it seems to have stabilised around there.

I'm just going to keep an eye on it and if it starts dropping again it will have to go back to Audi. But hopefully it just needed a bit of time to settle down.

Nothing to worry about there. First, until the new rings 'bed in' to the cylinder bores there's going to be some oil getting past them.
Second, the MMI isn't the most accurate thing in the world. The gauge can fluctuate depending on the angle the car is parked, etc.

And third, nobody said your car would now use no oil! They are designed to consume some - even after the new pistons. You will proibably still need to top up between services. I'd guess around a litre every 5,000 miles would be normal.

Hi guys,

looking at potentially joining the B8 crew and have got my eye on a 2011 2.0TFSI..

Asked the Audi Main dealer whether the car has suffered from the excessive oil issue and his response was:

"The oil consumption issues was identified on a few 2.0 TFSi engines and would have been resolved if it had been flagged up. I am unable to identify if this vehicle has suffered from that or if any remedial work has been completed."

Surely if work had been done at a Audi main dealer they would have a record and would have access to these??

After reading some of the hassle forum members have been through, i'd like assurances from the Audi dealership as i'd rather this issue was dealt with prior to a potential purchase.

Cheers

What 2011 Month is the car mate?
If there is no record on any work being done then it will definitely require the work at some point..
I personally would potentially walk away unless the dealer agrees to fix it...

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.
Reg date: 27/05/2011

Sorry if this has been covered already, but does this issue exist on all of the 2.0 TFSI engines between a certain date range or are there exceptions?

Thanks

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the reply.
Reg date: 27/05/2011

Sorry if this has been covered already, but does this issue exist on all of the 2.0 TFSI engines between a certain date range or are there exceptions?

Thanks

My Reg date is 13/05/2011 and needed the rebuild so I would definitely say yours will require it too..

Audi still wont admit that all the cars need repairing but considering the piston rings, pistons and conrods are all 'new' designs then I would say yes all 2.0 TFSI cars from '58 to 11' plate will require rebuilds!

I'm still in the stage 1 test, and I'm getting a little worried it will empty before the 621 miles are due. I've done 260 and the MMI is saying less than 1/4 left, I don't want to be stuck 100 miles away from the garage and the oil light come on as I can't add more oil... anyone else had this same dilemma?

I noticed some very erratic behaviour after getting my A4 fixed. MMI oil level went down to less than a quarter full after about 500 miles (which is as bad as it was before the fix).

Since then it has gone back up again (?) to about half full. Not sure how that has happened. Have done about 1100 miles now but it seems to have stabilised around there.

I'm just going to keep an eye on it and if it starts dropping again it will have to go back to Audi. But hopefully it just needed a bit of time to settle down.

as per you and Miss Cat, i was a bit wary of the MMI reading. i checked it very soon after the work and there was a noticable gap at the top of the display (bout 6 or 7mm) . i asked them if it should not be showing a full column, as they w/whould have put the full correct amount of oil in after the rebuild and they said the gauge can fluctuate sometimes due to oil temp etc. i still haven't had the top-up light ping on yet, so tehre obviously isn't a prob, i just got a shock at seeing the drop after about 50 miles when it took over 400 whilst i was on teh comsumption test!

It is known that the petrol 180/211bhp A4/5/Q5 can use very excessive amounts of oil (but apparently excessive is above 0.5 litres per 1000 km as per handbook, or 621 miles by my previous consumption test). Now is the time to get this known problem sorted! Eventually the excessive oil consumption will foul the spark plugs leading to misfires, normally misfiring on cylinder 2. If you are experiencing this heavy oil burning either carry on as if you own an oil field or get it fixed now....

There have been numerous advertised fixes but it will only be cured by the figment of new piston rings. Forget a PCV and software update, the car needs 20 hours Audi labour to rebuild the engine. An easy way to diagnose apart from marrying an oil sheiks daughter is to check ur exhaust tips. If their black and you remember it's not a TDI you know it's a problem!

Audi are slowly admitting by ways of their 'Goodwill' contribution and paying the lot. Normally it's around £5-6k for the rebuild, however you may need full service history.

Also Audi US North America lost a law suit against this problem!

Please feel free to reply if you own any of these great engines exhibiting this oil consumption dilemma! Once fixed IT is a fantastic high performance engine!!! There's plenty of us who have had and are going through this repair. Just look at crazy fools previous thread on the B8 A4 platform. This will be a watchdog/quiet recall very soon...... And will not be going away!

Audi do review these threads! If you have the above problem, please comment and let's get the Audi springs recoiling further.....
It has been just over 2 weeks since i had the PCV and software update; i have been checking the oil level once a week and i have to say that is still reporting maximum oil. I should be happy about this but i am wary, I've done about 200 miles and usually this would have meant i'd burnt at least half a litre. I just cannot believe that my problem appears to be resolved. id be grateful for any advice or checks i can do or have done.

It has been just over 2 weeks since i had the PCV and software update; i have been checking the oil level once a week and i have to say that is still reporting maximum oil. I should be happy about this but i am wary, I've done about 200 miles and usually this would have meant i'd burnt at least half a litre. I just cannot believe that my problem appears to be resolved. id be grateful for any advice or checks i can do or have done.
I wouldn't believe a software update and pcv will cure the problem mate! As posted previously it hasn't worked for anyone I have been in contact with or researched through all the forums on this subject! All the update does is alter the ecu fuelling/combustion parameters..
The fault is definitely 100% mechanical and no doubt as you keep driving you will see the consumption drop like before... Maybe even quicker as the car ages, only time will tell..
Those who have read, now reading and believe everything will be fine are kidding themselves! I did myself last year but why have all these cars had new rebuilds? They are all manufactured the same! As I keep saying its a defect that has affected all the TFSI cars between the years above. Only a rebuild will fix it and cure this problem. Once fixed it is great. I am happy!
Also how do you don't know Audi didn't overfill the oil. That has happened before with other owners...

Last edited:
Reactions: Stelly74
I'm still in the stage 1 test, and I'm getting a little worried it will empty before the 621 miles are due. I've done 260 and the MMI is saying less than 1/4 left, I don't want to be stuck 100 miles away from the garage and the oil light come on as I can't add more oil... anyone else had this same dilemma?
Carry the approved Castrol Edge 1 litre in the boot (with receipt attached). If the light does comes on then contact the Audi dealer immediately. Take pics with your phone for evidence if you can. If your a long way from the dealer they will advise you to top up otherwise get the car back to them to confirm it needs fixing. Like every car has done! Reason I say keep the receipt is that its the only thing Audi won't refund currently and may do so!. Some owners are putting in £15-20 a litre of oil every 150 miles+ . That is shocking... I had that economy in my A3 using diesel and no oil !..

Last edited:
as per you and Miss Cat, i was a bit wary of the MMI reading. i checked it very soon after the work and there was a noticable gap at the top of the display (bout 6 or 7mm) . i asked them if it should not be showing a full column, as they w/whould have put the full correct amount of oil in after the rebuild and they said the gauge can fluctuate sometimes due to oil temp etc. i still haven't had the top-up light ping on yet, so tehre obviously isn't a prob, i just got a shock at seeing the drop after about 50 miles when it took over 400 whilst i was on teh comsumption test!
Make sure you check the MMI properly mate. We would all rather a dipstick as its easier but even though the MMI is deemed not accurate it actually is if you check it as I mentioned above in another comment. Otherwise when cold it will fluctuate...

:cry:Am having the oil check done by Audi just to keep updated
There filling it up today and then ive got to bring it back in 600 miles to see usage

That's not the issue at the minute however the nearly 700 quid bill for my central locking is..

Make sure you check the MMI properly mate. We would all rather a dipstick as its easier but even though the MMI is deemed not accurate it actually is if you check it as I mentioned above in another comment. Otherwise when cold it will fluctuate...
yeah, it was checked after my runs home from work (about 12 miles). i haven't looked at it since, i'm just waiting for the light to ping on, but at the mo she's purring along no bother.

I wouldn't believe a software update and pcv will cure the problem mate! As posted previously it hasn't worked for anyone I have been in contact with or researched through all the forums on this subject! All the update does is alter the ecu fuelling/combustion parameters..
The fault is definitely 100% mechanical and no doubt as you keep driving you will see the consumption drop like before... Maybe even quicker as the car ages, only time will tell..
Those who have read, now reading and believe everything will be fine are kidding themselves! I did myself last year but why have all these cars had new rebuilds? They are all manufactured the same! As I keep saying its a defect that has affected all the TFSI cars between the years above. Only a rebuild will fix it and cure this problem. Once fixed it is great. I am happy!
Also how do you don't know Audi didn't overfill the oil. That has happened before with other owners...

I don't believe it either, if something seems to good to be true it usually is! which is why i've just spoken to my technician and he said they could have overfilled it (like you said) etc. Im also not happy as I'd just had to have the oil changed for the long life oil at a considerable cost and the guy at Audi said they wouldn't drain my oil they would just top it up. But when i came to pick up the car they said they had measured the weight of the oil and thats the start of the test. To be fair i didn't question it as i had a very grumpy 6 yr old in tow, but how could they have weighed the oil without draining it? I doubt they would have then just put the oil back and topped it up, so now i have no idea what kind of oil they have put in. I will have to insist at the end of this test that they replace the oil (if there is any left) with Long life and i'll get it confirmed with my technician that they have done so. What do you suggest i do if it doesn't fail their test??

To conduct the oil consumption test the tech definitely needs to drain all of the oil, measure/weigh it upto the 4.6 litres maximum and then replace. I have argued it should be replaced with fresh but they just put the used oil back in with a top up. If the cars does fail the test then the oil will be replaced with new during the rebuild anyway. At that point if it does fail also enquire about the free servicing!
If it doesn't fail the test then it will be recorded on Audi's system and no doubt it will have to conducted again if it gets worse in the future. I did find that in town traffic the car used far more oil than motorway driving, however at that point my car was misfiring consistently. Other owners have said the same regarding more oil use doing stop start driving around town..
As I have mentioned these cars will all start failing at some point...

Carry the approved Castrol Edge 1 litre in the boot (with receipt attached). If the light does comes on then contact the Audi dealer immediately. Take pics with your phone for evidence if you can. If your a long way from the dealer they will advise you to top up otherwise get the car back to them to confirm it needs fixing. Like every car has done! Reason I say keep the receipt is that its the only thing Audi won't refund currently and may do so!. Some owners are putting in £15-20 a litre of oil every 150 miles+ . That is shocking... I had that economy in my A3 using diesel and no oil !..

I rang Audi up and they said I can't put any more in. They advised I had to keep the car local and bring it back if the oil light comes on. I said it's the summer holidays and I'm not cancelling my family days out to just drive around locally.

I ended up ringing back and got it booked in for Monday morning first thing as I'm on 350 miles now and have less than 1/4 left so will just have to manage it best I can till Monday. We are currently 50 miles away from the garage all weekend, so guess it's fingers crossed I can make it back

Like you say they all will fail so why not just get it booked in for the pistons to be replaced instead of all this messing about.