2.0 TFSI Known Oil Consumption problem - 2015 ongoing thread (2009-2011 models)

Just picked my A4 Avant back up from Audi Tamworth this morning. I rang them Tuesday and told them I was going away for the weekend this morning and they managed to do all the work in 4 days! Hopefully they didn't rush anything!
I made sure the cam chain tensioner/adjuster was done, and I was also due a minor service ( brake fluid change ) which they also did for free.
Was a bit strange that they weren't going to give me a receipt for the work done until I asked for it...
Car felt fine on the short journey home, so glad to get it back as I wasn't impressed with the brand new A3 TDI S Tronic courtesy car ( A4s are so much better! ).
I'll report back if I have any issues..

Glad to hear that mate. Hopefully you won't have any problems. My car has been running fine and the oil MMI level has only dropped a single block since the last free service. That was around 800 miles ago..

Reactions: Foxsy
Hi all

Picked my A4 up today and was pleasantly surprised. Audi have actually replaced the water pump and also something to do with the air con free of charge.

Considering I was worrying about having a 6k rebuild cost due to a lack of audi service history / warranty, the whole experience had been relatively painless.

Hope everyone else gets sorted with the same level of satisfaction I have.

Massive thanks to Wakefield Audi and all you guys on here for the support and guidance.

Adam

Reactions: Tfsi gone
Is this the start of these cars being repaired and owners being treated fairly? Unfortunately the inconsistency is worrying especially with the cam chain tensioner problem. I so want this to be resolved but can see this continuing and escalating for some time...

Hi,
New to forum, but been visiting for years. On my 3rd Audi and have enjoyed all three.
I've been tempted by an A4 2.0 TFSi and I'd like some advice and opinions before I decide.
It's a 2011 with FASH on sale by an independent dealer. Previous owner hasn't reported an oil consumption problem.
Have spoken to Audi (dealers and the helpline no.) and they are of the opinion that it's only some (unlucky) owners that have cars that develop this issue. One said that, if it affected all cars a recall would have been arranged. I'm sceptical about that and wonder what you all think. If nothing else, a recall would have been an awful lot of extensive repairs to do in a short period of time, rather than staggered repairs, as and when the piston rings fail.
Will all of them eventually fail, do we think?
If the price was right, I could cope with the hassle of taking it along to Audi for the repair, when the time came. However I do wonder how long Audi will extend the goodwill. If it didn't fail until it reached 100k in three or four years' time would Audi say that was a reasonable wear and tear rate anyway? In which case, the car wouldn't be worth a great deal.
Presumably, when they fail is related to how the car has been used, so would fail earlier with heavy urban use, compared to motorway miles. Would that be a reasonable assumption?
I'd be very grateful for any advice.
Loz

Hi,
New to forum, but been visiting for years. On my 3rd Audi and have enjoyed all three.
I've been tempted by an A4 2.0 TFSi and I'd like some advice and opinions before I decide.
It's a 2011 with FASH on sale by an independent dealer. Previous owner hasn't reported an oil consumption problem.
Have spoken to Audi (dealers and the helpline no.) and they are of the opinion that it's only some (unlucky) owners that have cars that develop this issue. One said that, if it affected all cars a recall would have been arranged. I'm sceptical about that and wonder what you all think. If nothing else, a recall would have been an awful lot of extensive repairs to do in a short period of time, rather than staggered repairs, as and when the piston rings fail.
Will all of them eventually fail, do we think?
If the price was right, I could cope with the hassle of taking it along to Audi for the repair, when the time came. However I do wonder how long Audi will extend the goodwill. If it didn't fail until it reached 100k in three or four years' time would Audi say that was a reasonable wear and tear rate anyway? In which case, the car wouldn't be worth a great deal.
Presumably, when they fail is related to how the car has been used, so would fail earlier with heavy urban use, compared to motorway miles. Would that be a reasonable assumption?
I'd be very grateful for any advice.
Loz

Hi Loz,
If the car is an 11 plate or older then it will definitely require the rebuild at some point. Town driving will also certainly speed up the oil consumption!
Audi should recall them but as you mentioned above it would be very costly and requires staggering.
The rebuild utilises new geometry piston rings, pistons and conrods. These should have been fitted at manufacture!
I wouldn't let it put you off purchasing though. I personally would knock the dealer down as much as you can on price and then take it to Audi. When it's repaired it will have a 2 yr warranty on the parts fitted. You should even get free servicings like I had!! It will also eliminate the possibility of cam chain slippage by the fitting of a new tensioner and adjuster during the rebuild. My car now drives like new and I'm happy to keep it knowing the problems are cured.
Have a good look at the exhausts. They tell a story themselves and are most probably black/oily...

It really depends whether you can put up with the hassle of sorting the engine. When I asked about a recall they advised this would only happen on safety grounds. I knew that was total b@11@cks because my last Audi was recalled because there was an issue with the coil pack.

I think Audi rapidly realised how much s&)t they were in, so tried to palm their customers off as much as they could. But since Watchdog, they realised they needed to do more to save their reputation.

I have to say although I love the Merc, I do miss having a new Audi; but the reliability issues are too much for me to revert back.

Pick my car up this afternoon. First impression was the engine sound a lot quiet then before its was repair however I was less impress when I checked the oil lever before I left the dealer and the MMI show 3/4 full :wtf:

Prior to picking the car up audi tech had to do a 100mls test run. I hope the car didn't well through 1/4 of oil in 100mls

Will report back when the car ask for another litre of oil...

I picked mine up last week and oil level was just under half, I guess if you think of it like a dip stick shouldn't be anything to worry about. Mines used a little oil over the first 500 miles but I'm guessing that's normal but my engine also sounded better and felt almost tighter or smoother :)

Reactions: Briyasan and Tfsi gone
Many thanks for the advice MikeJ and Crazyfool.
The one I had my eye on is no longer available, but will keep looking.
I've also been tempted by the 3.2 engine. Are there any issues with that (other than cost of road tax and fuel)?

Many thanks for the advice MikeJ and Crazyfool.
The one I had my eye on is no longer available, but will keep looking.
I've also been tempted by the 3.2 engine. Are there any issues with that (other than cost of road tax and fuel)?

Don't bother with the 3.2. They are few and far between and the 2.0T is a better all rounder. If you can stretch yourself to a 2013 onward, you won't have to worry about the coil issue.

Got my car back last week and I have to say I'm very very pleased with it and apart from a few communication problems and trying to charge me for oil Glasgow Audi have been excellent and deserve a mention. I've now done 500 miles and the oil levels not moved(compared to 400m a litre). It did take them a fortnight to do the work but we got a brand new a4 s line to play with so all in all its been a relatively pain free experience.

I've had s line side blades and votex front and back splitter/diffuser lying around so I got this.e fitted during the week so my car looks as good as it goes.

It's taken a couple of months but the end result is worth it and I can concentrate on other stuff now so thanks again Mike J and everyone who has contributed to this topic and Audi for finally getting there act together(for me)this should never have happened in the first place.

Oh and one last thing I know there is mpg threads but while we are all here how has everyone's mpg gone after the fix, mine was a poor 22.9 mpg which is mostly town driving and it's going up to about 25mpg but it's a bit early yet.

Pick my car up this afternoon. First impression was the engine sound a lot quiet then before its was repair however I was less impress when I checked the oil lever before I left the dealer and the MMI show 3/4 full :wtf:

Prior to picking the car up audi tech had to do a 100mls test run. I hope the car didn't well through 1/4 of oil in 100mls

Will report back when the car ask for another litre of oil...

Ensure you check the MMI only after a good drive mate when the engines fully upto temp. Turn the ignition off and back on then wait a few minutes. That should give you a truer oil reading..

Now done a 1000 miles since the last service and the oil MMI is still only showing one bar off the top. So far, so good..

Reactions: Crazyfool

Had my invoice back today for the work carried out. 950 miles and it's used 1 bar so far... Much improved :)

Almost exactly the same as me I've done about 950 miles as well and the mmi is just down a notch.

I didn't get an invoice though and it would be nice to have.

All in all I'm a happy man with the car now.

Had mine done back in February and have done a few thousand miles since. I did change the oil recently for Millers Cf as mine has a stage 1 revo remap and oil was recommended from Alex at Aks tuning. Surprisingly when I had the work done Audi left the remap on. Car uses no oil at all and mmi has not moved for miles. More than happy with the car since work done and will be a keeper currently on 105000 miles.

I've had mine back for 3 weeks now and have done 500 miles. I have to say it is driving like a dream and there has been no movement on the MMI. Can anyone explain these remaps to me? What they do ? Where they can be done? I have the 211 engine.

Almost exactly the same as me I've done about 950 miles as well and the mmi is just down a notch.

I didn't get an invoice though and it would be nice to have.

All in all I'm a happy man with the car now.

I had to call them and asked them to post me a copy of the invoice for my own records for the car.

Reactions: ScooB
I've asked for an invoice too but they normally give you a nil value one to confirm the work done. The one with costs gets sent to Audi UK but sits on the system against your vehicle. You can often get to see it at a later date

Guys the rebuild oil consumption results are becoming great. This should be how it should have been to start with! It's fantastic results however I'm on the Nissan GTR hunt...
I don't care if this one uses oil...

Last edited:
Any more information mate?

I have said previously through this thread that I believe it's becoming a common problem with the TFSI engine!

Obviously it affects every car with a CDNC engine code however it's one of these problems which will continue to cascade. There are A1, A3, A4, A5, Q5's all affected by oil consumption issues so it's definitely following a trend..

My feeling is your car won't be cured by the PCV fix and software update.

By the way I have seen 61 - 14 plate TFSI A4's with just as bad oily exhausts as mine were before the repair. So I wonder if Audi have 'fixed' this problem as they say..
Only time will tell...

Sorry for the delay. Just saw your reply.

I've no further info yet - the car's in the garage Tues/Wed for them to look into pcv valve etc. Will update after that, but like you I'm sceptical that'll sort it.

That's my car done 560 mls of the oil consumption test , the MMI is showing less than half , it looks like a third left , I thought it was divided into four quarter litres ? any comments welcome .

View attachment 70078 Guys the rebuild oil consumption results are becoming great. This should be how it should have been to start with! It's fantastic results however I'm on the Nissan GTR hunt...
I don't care if this one uses oil...
Good for you mate and is the photo the car in question??
I'm loving my car at the moment and even got it polished at the weekend.
Image c3a6a296429a820c57cc4762a2331c29ec942d72668bc353dedf3203de19dc78 V

Hi guys

Looking at buying my first Audi.

Can anyone confirm if a 1.4 and a 1.8 tfsi 12 and 62 plate A3 would have this issue or is it deffinitly limited to 2.0 and 2008-2011?

Just a bit off putting spending 12-14k on a nice A3 only to find it has this problem.

Many Thanks

Mines a 10 plate 1.8tfsi A4 avant and it had the issue.

Ask the seller if it's had the problem. Ask them about the oil consumption. Look at the exhaust and see if it is black with soot.

Mines about 1000 miles post op and it's used a tiny bit according to the mmi. Was a bit worried it wasn't using any oil to start with

Really please with the car apart from having the hassle of sorting out the repair.

I've had mine back for 3 weeks now and have done 500 miles. I have to say it is driving like a dream and there has been no movement on the MMI. Can anyone explain these remaps to me? What they do ? Where they can be done? I have the 211 engine.

I have the same engine as you and mine has had a Revo Stage 1 remap taking it to approx 265bhp, and it moves a lot quicker now!
See here for Revo: http://www.revotechnik.com/
Cost was £499, but there are other brands out there which may be cheaper.
With the Revo re-map you can have it set to one of the following options:

265hp - can run on normal unleaded 95 RON
275hp - can only run on Super Unleaded 98 RON
285hp - can only run on Super Unleaded 99 RON

(these are approx figures)

I did have mine set to option B but the fuel stations near to me kept on running out of Super Unleaded which became a PITA, so I got it changed back to Option A.

Sorry for the delay. Just saw your reply.

I've no further info yet - the car's in the garage Tues/Wed for them to look into pcv valve etc. Will update after that, but like you I'm sceptical that'll sort it.

Picked my A6 2.0 TFSI (BPJ) up today - pcv valve replaced, nothing else done. 4th oil consumption test now underway to see if that's sorted it...

I have the same engine as you and mine has had a Revo Stage 1 remap taking it to approx 265bhp, and it moves a lot quicker now!
See here for Revo: http://www.revotechnik.com/
Cost was £499, but there are other brands out there which may be cheaper.
With the Revo re-map you can have it set to one of the following options:

265hp - can run on normal unleaded 95 RON
275hp - can only run on Super Unleaded 98 RON
285hp - can only run on Super Unleaded 99 RON

(these are approx figures)

I did have mine set to option B but the fuel stations near to me kept on running out of Super Unleaded which became a PITA, so I got it changed back to Option A.

Thanks for the information - I find the car quick as it is so moving up to a higher HP could be frightening. I'm guessing it chews up the fuel a little more !

Thanks for the information - I find the car quick as it is so moving up to a higher HP could be frightening. I'm guessing it chews up the fuel a little more !

Only because you can push it quicker lol ;)

In theory a remap improves mpg as the engine does less work to hit the same speed/output. In reality though you realise you can drive faster, so do so more often leading to more acceleration moments which are less efficient :)

Anyway, frightening can be good for you every now and then ;)

That's my car done 560 mls of the oil consumption test , the MMI is showing less than half , it looks like a third left , I thought it was divided into four quarter litres ? any comments welcome .

Seems likes mine is split into six segments mate. So each one is roughly using just over 160ml of oil..

Good for you mate and is the photo the car in question??
I'm loving my car at the moment and even got it polished at the weekend.
View attachment 70281

Not taken the plunge just yet on the GTR mate. Such a great car, the heart says do it but the heads not sure. It's a lot of money for a mid life crisis blast. So maybe after Christmas...

Hi guys

Looking at buying my first Audi.

Can anyone confirm if a 1.4 and a 1.8 tfsi 12 and 62 plate A3 would have this issue or is it deffinitly limited to 2.0 and 2008-2011?

Just a bit off putting spending 12-14k on a nice A3 only to find it has this problem.

Many Thanks

Anything regarding VAG is very sceptical at the moment mate! I still believe all these TFSI engines suffer with oil problems. I'm not a fan to say the least!
However the engineers have done a good job with the current batch of piston ring, piston & conrod redesigns affecting the slightly older models..
Just look at the exhausts on these cars! I have seen 15 plated cars with blacker exhausts than mine are now. Maybe there's an emission cheating device on these too...

Regarding remaps I personally was tempted to get one however it will certainly invalidate the 2 year parts guarantee on the repair and those without the cam tensioner replacement that would be like commiting engine suicide.
However after driving a GTR I think it would take a massive remap to tempt me to keep mine long term if I wanted performance...

Reactions: ScooB

I cannot comment on the before/after comparison for mpg as the Revo remap was all ready on the car when I bought it.
What I can say is that the mpg on my car is cr*p anyway, certainly around town where I average around 21/22 mpg (I'm sure I would be in the same boat with a 4.2 V8 S/RS version!!)
I assume its this low due to: Quattro, Auto, town driving, maybe the re-map.

On a decent motorway run I probably average 35mpg (DIS shows 38/39 ish but working it out on fuelly gives the real figure)
I recently did a road trip from Manchester to Cornwall and over 9 days completed 1004 miles at 30.5 mpg. This was a mixture of motorways, A roads & cornish B Roads

Something else worth noting as Mike J says above in post #831: I had the Cam chain tensioner go on my car back in March (£1800 repair bill), I have no idea whether the re-map had any bearing on that, and I guess nobody can say for definite if it had an effect on that part.

Only because you can push it quicker lol ;)

In theory a remap improves mpg as the engine does less work to hit the same speed/output. In reality though you realise you can drive faster, so do so more often leading to more acceleration moments which are less efficient :)

Anyway, frightening can be good for you every now and then ;)

Very true Razza, I have many of those moments where I can boot it from the lights and be at warp speed before the other vehicles around me are in second gear :racer:

also regarding remaps, you might want to look into clutches as well, as I've seen a lot of guys on here complain about clutch slipping after have the remap done.. more power will be harder on the clutch.

I'll be getting a remap at some point but I'm also reading up on what up rated clutches are out there.

As above ^ My clutch went at 27,000 miles with a Revo remap on my old 2011 A4 2.0tfsi quattro.

As above ^ My clutch went at 27,000 miles with a Revo remap on my old 2011 A4 2.0tfsi quattro.
No worries with clutch slip when you have auto box. Had stage 1 revo for two years!

Seems likes mine is split into six segments mate. So each one is roughly using just over 160ml of oil..

Not taken the plunge just yet on the GTR mate. Such a great car, the heart says do it but the heads not sure. It's a lot of money for a mid life crisis blast. So maybe after Christmas...

Anything regarding VAG is very sceptical at the moment mate! I still believe all these TFSI engines suffer with oil problems. I'm not a fan to say the least!
However the engineers have done a good job with the current batch of piston ring, piston & conrod redesigns affecting the slightly older models..
Just look at the exhausts on these cars! I have seen 15 plated cars with blacker exhausts than mine are now. Maybe there's an emission cheating device on these too...

Regarding remaps I personally was tempted to get one however it will certainly invalidate the 2 year parts guarantee on the repair and those without the cam tensioner replacement that would be like commiting engine suicide.
However after driving a GTR I think it would take a massive remap to tempt me to keep mine long term if I wanted performance...
Had the oil consumption repair on my car with stage 1 revo remap on and map was left on the car so can't see how it can effect warranty. Mine is guaranteed for 2 years.

Wouldn't guarantee that being the case, both my stronic clutches have burnt and in process of replacing them... :(
Sorry to hear that? Is yours an S4? What's the cost if you don't mind me asking?