2.0 TFSI Thrust bearing and clutch slip issue

Newk

Reaction score
Hi All
I have been reading a lot about people with 2.0 TFSI engines having short clutch life/failing issues and after much research come across lots of chat pointing at a weakness in the crankshaft thrust bearing/washers that may be causing this issue. Apparently the crank shaft has side pressure applied during starting, with the clutch having to be depressed on some models, which causes early failure of the thrust washers and the crank shaft then exceeds its 'end float' limits, and quite significantly on some. This causes the crankshaft and flywheel to move away from the clutch plates and start slipping, even in some cases with a nearly new clutchs. One thread I have seen on here is someone doing a 'Push clutch to start' defeat unit which plugs into the clutch switch, as apparently worst damage is done when the bearing is dry of oil, but I can't help but think that any time the clutch is pressed it wears the bearing. I am just about to have a new clutch fitted, if it is the problem, but is there an easy way to check crankshaft end float before I go wasting my hard earned cash? Have seen lots of reports of people saying their clutch failed again after just a few of thou miles, is this problem bigger than realised?

PS Only at 31K miles myself!

Last edited:
Having slept on it, yes my dreams are wonderful, surely if your pressing the clutch pedal you are removing the lateral force on the crankshaft?

Apparently the problem isn't just 2.0 TFSI, it's also on EA113, K04, S3AP, Mk6 Golf R and Leon Cupra's.

Last edited:
Got it, I'm a moose, the cover is attached to the flywheel so the whole assembly spins on the end, applying clutch release pressure is the only lateral force. Still, how do I easily check my thrust bearings?