2.0L TDI A6 - Oil question

scotsgogs

Reaction score
Hi folks, i'm a newbie here and have a question regarding engine oil.

My car has just turned 5k miles and the low oil warning indicator came on. I've topped the engine up with a litre of oil supplied with the car and have now set about buying a replacement supply of oil for future use (either 1L or a 4L if more economical).

My local Audi dealer recommended Castrol SLX Longlife II (0W - 30) (as that's what is apparently in it already) but at £12.29 (inc Vat) per litre then it's not cheap. My local Halfords shop have suggested that Castrol Edge is the new replacement to the SLX Longlife however it's £13.99 for a litre.

Does anyone have any experience they could share with me as to: -

1. The best (cheapest) place to buy SLX Longlife II
2. Using Castrol Edge as an alternative product
3. And if using Edge - can this be used to top my engine up now without resorting to having to have a full oil and filter change before doing so.

Thanks

Gordon

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/castrolhomepage.do?categoryId=3205

Check out this link. If allows you to check the correct castrol oil for your car.
It recommends Castrol Edge 5W-30 for the 2.0TDI on variable service and EDGE 5W-30 or 5W-40 for standard service. The 5W-40 is £11.99 per litre online with halfords.
As long as the oils are off the same VW5XX XX spec then there should be no problem mixing them

This is what castrol website says about the oil.
"Applications

Castrol have developed EDGE 5W-30 in co-operation with the VW Group. This oil sets new standards in the industry in regards to cleanliness of the engine, thereby reducing harmful emissions and subsequent damage to the environment.

The technology in this oil also reduces long term blocking thereby prolonging the life of the diesel particulate filter.
Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is equally suitable for gasoline and diesel vehicles where performance specifications VW 504 00 and 507 00 are demanded. Plus Castrol has managed to meet the requirements of most previous VW oil specifications making it suitable for new and older engines.

In addition to its cleaning properties, EDGE 5W-30 antiwear technology provides strong protection for modern FSI, TDI and turbocharged engines."

Thanks for the feedback. That's been very useful.

Apologies if this appears a thick question however the SLX Longlife has written on the bottle SAE 0W-30, VW 503 00/506 00/506 01.

Does this mean that I can use Edge (the one for the variable servicing) alongside the stuff that's already in the engine (i.e. the SLX variant).

Thanks in advance.

Since castrol say that it meets the requirements of older VW oil specs than it should be all right. If your still worried contact Audi customer service