2.0ltr TDI 177 ( sorry yes another MPG related thread!)

A4 Matt

Reaction score
Sorry in advance if this is a sore point that has been covered ad nauseum over n over again, but I have a wee question (MPG related), basically the MPG I'm seeing is off compared to what I'd like to think it "should" be. I have read a few threads about what some of you are getting and how the "official" figures are not attainable in the "real world" of day to day driving, so I kind of already know not to expect impressive MPG figures, especially if I'm just potting around in town doing short little journeys where the engine/ oil never get upto temp properly, but what about when your cruising on the M/way on longer journeys???

Should I not be expecting to see anything great even then?, I'm talking sitting the car at a steady 65/70mph for prolonged periods, probably with the cruise control on, and (in warmer months at least) with the climate cont on set to auto. I'd personally like to think that I could see something like 50/55mpg - given the right conditions in this type of scenario, even with a passenger or two!! or am I living in cloud cuckoo land expecting anything anywhere near this??

I bought this car ( it's a 2013 2.0ltr tdi177 multitronic saloon by the way), with the intention of using it for trekking out farther afield on longer journeys when I wanna fish different venues that are a good way away, and I thought an auto diesel would be the right choice for relaxed long journeys with "decent" fuel economy returns (at least compared to my last car which would struggle to better 35mpg on a run!)

Have I made a poor choice going for the spec I have, and as above am I being unrealistic hoping/expecting to see 50mpg + when on longer m/way based runs?? The car has currently only covered approx 2400 miles, and I have seen over 50mpg come up before on the display, but this was doing 50/60mph and probably with a good few sections of off throttle basically rolling behind other cars!

I have seen sort of 47'ish on the m/way recently with a passenger on board doing about 70, maybe a tad under, but it seems to be the exception rather than the norm at the moment and that was no air on, no cruise etc!

If I could/can realistically expect this sort of MPG then to be honest I'll be happy enough as although it's way under the "official" figures, it's still pretty good in my opinion ( if attainable) and will certainly seem like a purchase that has been justified.

What say you?

Cheers
Matt

In terms of real world mpg I always deduct at least 10% of the max quoted by the manufacturers as they test it in ideal conditions.
Image you running on a treadmill, the treadmill is doing half the work for you already, same principle with cars in that every tests works in their favor.

You could always Google 'real world mpg' and it should give you an average of what people get.

I almost have the same car apart from mine being manual ...

My trips to work are either 170 miles round trip or 260 miles round trip and this is what I am getting ( as per fuelly ) I have tested my mpg and after 6500 miles on my car I am seeing the following mpg for these trips to work :-

@ 60 52.4 mpg
@ 70 47.5 mpg

When only driving work mileage I have less than 5% of my journey not at these speeds and on cruse control I also do not use air con.

My round town mpg is 35 ish mpg.

To date the mpg displayed by the car is almost the same as I am getting from fuelly.

Hmm so at prolonged by-pass/60 limit type speeds, I could well expect to crack 50mpg, but at 70mph I will probably be just under it!?!, oh well guess I'll have to live with it not being quite what I'd hoped! What doesn't make sense to me though is that at 70mph the rev counter isn't even showing 2krpm! It's just trickling along! You'd have thought they could have squeezed more mileage when just sat cruising like that!

I suppose I shouldn't moan really because as I say my last car (2010 Leon cupra R) wouldn't really do much more than 35, 36 at a push on a long run & the Audi IS a bigger/ heavier car with much less outright power to propel it along, although it should have a bucket load of torque being turbo diesel!

Looking at the supposed specs for the new A4 that's coming next, Autocar are stating that it'll be 100kgs lighter, and hopefully engine tech will have advanced even more, so even greater mpg will be atainable, maybe then I could realise 50+ mpg!

It's a shame really, because apart from the mpg not being quite as good as I'd like, and small stupid niggle with the stereo I really do love the car! These two wee niggles though just do take some of that sparkle out of it for me, not a lot but a little.

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

You can get 50+ but you will need to drive @ 56 I did this for half a tank but life is just to short to sit at that speed :)

Hi Matt,

You can get 50+ but you will need to drive @ 56 I did this for half a tank but life is just to short to sit at that speed :)

Pffff - balls to that!

I'll just have to live with as close to 50mpg as I can get lol!!

Seen 46/47 a time or two before! That'll have to do

Pffff - balls to that!

I'll just have to live with as close to 50mpg as I can get lol!!

Seen 46/47 a time or two before! That'll have to do

@ 70 I am getting 47 and like you my last car ( 1.8T A4 ) was only doing about 32 to 35 mpg so I am happy with the tax reduction and the 30% mpg average increase :)