2.0T FSI Forged Engine Build Has Started, Big Turbo Build.

Explains the oil in the bore.

I'm not going to bad mouth the company who built the head as they have been most helpful. So helpful that the head is boxed up ready for collection asap. Any costs of the rebuild are covered by them aswell fortunately.
Just aswell didn't get out of the unit, we could have been talking some serious damage. Fortunately it happened on idle.

So after 2 and a half hours lastnight, this is how it looks now....

Sp you are going to bin off the rs4s totally and replace with new? I'd not take a chance and reuse if it latched on idle and drowned the bore
I've also bought a replacement injector which probably wasn't the issue lol!

Hi Craig...

Well done in one respect,and at least the costs are covered,and it was found before any serious damage had occurred.

Just a real shame it's set you back yet again,but as we agreed before,it's part of the process in these sorts of builds.

Delay,delay followed by delay.

Best wishes for getting it sorted quickly.

Hi Craig...

Well done in one respect,and at least the costs are covered,and it was found before any serious damage had occurred.

Just a real shame it's set you back yet again,but as we agreed before,it's part of the process in these sorts of builds.

Delay,delay followed by delay.

Best wishes for getting it sorted quickly.
Cheers Alex, it seems to be a standard conversation these days...
A case of "what's gone wrong now" lol!

Reactions: S3Alex
Cheers Alex, it seems to be a standard conversation these days...
A case of "what's gone wrong now" lol!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger......

Bad times, but at least the head company are stumping up the readies for the repairs.

Well, the head came back yesterday and we finished rebuilding it at 1am this morning.
But I'm pleased to say we have no issues whatsoever and here is the finished result....
Mapping just around the corner.

The tail pipes stick out Abit but that's minor in the grand scheme of things, so that will be in the tying up the loose ends part of my thread lol!

Reactions: S3Alex and Marc B7
Well, the head came back yesterday and we finished rebuilding it at 1am this morning.
But I'm pleased to say we have no issues whatsoever and here is the finished result....
Mapping just around the corner.

The tail pipes stick out Abit but that's minor in the grand scheme of things, so that will be in the tying up the loose ends part of my thread lol!
Hi Craig looking good

Looks good, I hope the mapping all goes smoothly for you now.

Are you planning to blackout the window surrounds, and strip on the rear bumper to match the rest of the car once she's running sweet?

Cheers mate, its been a long road, but hopefully I'll be able to go find a long road now instead lol!

Good luck.

You deserve a decent run of luck after all the ups and downs.

Reactions: Craig Cull
Looks good, I hope the mapping all goes smoothly for you now.

Are you planning to blackout the window surrounds, and strip on the rear bumper to match the rest of the car once she's running sweet?
Cheers its booked in on the 17th so I have a few weeks to run it in nicely.

No I won't be doing anything else to it at present. My company will be moving into hydro dipping, so the plan is to match the carbon fibre throughout the rest of the car. Maybe even carbon fibre wheels with powder coat clear over it. We will see :)

Nice to see the car out in the sunshine rather than in a workshop :)

Great work Craig. Look forward to seeing the vehicle at car shows.

Hope the drive goes well.

Cheers guys!!

Well I've done 300 miles without any issues, just dropped the oil and put some fresh running in oil in, so really starting to rev it now where as I was only taking it to 4k on WOT on the last oil.
Hitting about 6.5k now on WOT and it really does go!! Even at only 10 psi of boost it pulls strong and consistent through the Rev range.

I'm waiting for something to go wrong as it just seems too good to be true lol!

So on a positive note, I think after another 300 miles I'll put the nanodrive in and get her ready for mapping!!

It's positive chaps!! Very positive!!

Reactions: S3Alex, ANDYTQ, SDHA4SLine and 1 other person
Just a few more Pics to keep the thread moving.

Just ordered some more parts from the states which I'm hoping to fit before mapping so I'll post some updates as and when :)

Nice....what other bits are on the way?

Nice....what other bits are on the way?
IE Cam cover, forge vent to atmosphere catch can, turbosmart diverter and 3" maf.

That's gonna end my spending till map time I think :)

IE Cam cover, forge vent to atmosphere catch can, turbosmart diverter and 3" maf.

That's gonna end my spending till map time I think :)

See what this place does to you....

I think you'll enjoy all of that.

:applaus: But get that bumper adjusted!!!;)
It's got to come off again when it goes to peron mate, so when its finally finished im going to fit it properly. It's not even bolted behind the wings at the moment either, and no undertray as I'm checking for leaks daily.
I thought someone would spot that

600 miles done with only a water feed issue to the turbo. Sorted that with a heat resistant braided hose. Nanodrive in an running fine, n75 connected and boost is just silly. I've not revved it properly and won't until its mapped, but I'm half intimidated by it lol!
To say its a weapon would be an understatement!

Reactions: S3Alex and gary_a4_quattro
600 miles done with only a water feed issue to the turbo. Sorted that with a heat resistant braided hose. Nanodrive in an running fine, n75 connected and boost is just silly. I've not revved it properly and won't until its mapped, but I'm half intimidated by it lol!
To say its a weapon would be an understatement!

Also had a few heat issues here,and had to wrap the MAF wiring and evap hose in this stuff...

It's amazing how much heat there is,even with the exhaust wrapped,and a turbo jacket.

Do you remember that wonderful Walter Rohrl quote....

"A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it."

Also had a few heat issues here,and had to wrap the MAF wiring and evap hose in this stuff...

It's amazing how much heat there is,even with the exhaust wrapped,and a turbo jacket.

Do you remember that wonderful Walter Rohrl quote....

"A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it."
Yes that's where I want to be, or should I say that's where I'm at even.
Yeah the heats rediculous, need someone to make me some new water pipes to the turbo. Gonna get on it this week

Yes that's where I want to be, or should I say that's where I'm at even.
Yeah the heats rediculous, need someone to make me some new water pipes to the turbo. Gonna get on it this week

So far,all of the essential pipework appears to be fine,and they've routed it all well,as far as I can tell.

The wiring was completely unexpected,and I think is due to the heat shield actually directing hot air towards the MAF wiring,which on yours,won't be an issue.

This is what Nortech did with the turbo on mine....

You can see how tight everything is down there,but it's all well shielded.

What running in oil do you recommend? How long did you use it for in total between changes?

What running in oil do you recommend? How long did you use it for in total between changes?

All that we did with mine was to run the car on low boost for 1000 miles,and then change the oil,being sure to check for any metal filings etc on the drain plug,and also change the filter.
Stuck to any of the good synthetics at that point.

Now swapped over to Motul 300V 10/40.....

I used millers 10w40 mineral oil, did 30/40 miles and dropped the oil and changed the filter, then did a further 300 miles revving to 4k and letting the off the accelerator (as rings bed in on the over run) did this from 1st to 4th gears. Then dropped the oil and changed the filter again and did a further 300 miles, this time revving to 6k max and letting the over run do the work.
Over running at different rpms gives the rings chance to bed in at different rev ranges. Sitting at 3000 rpm in 6th on the motorway for 600 miles is no good as the rings will only bed in at 3000 rpm, this could cause problems in the long term as oil could squeeze past the scrapper ring causing poor oil consumption.

Now I'm on millers nano drive 5/40 fully synthetic still revving to 6k on wot until it's mapped then it's straight to the limiter. So far I've seen zero oil consumption or very minimal.

How you bed it in now will determine the longevity of the engine in the long run.

Reactions: stetheo
So far,all of the essential pipework appears to be fine,and they've routed it all well,as far as I can tell.

The wiring was completely unexpected,and I think is due to the heat shield actually directing hot air towards the MAF wiring,which on yours,won't be an issue.

This is what Nortech did with the turbo on mine....

You can see how tight everything is down there,but it's all well shielded.
I'm now having to loose the mvr as it's just too big, and my screamer location is just poisoning me. So I have a tial mvs coming, with a tial diverter, 3" maf, IE valve cover and the IE catch can. Did you route your catch can from the crankcase breather, into the can and then to the valve cover?

I'm now having to loose the mvr as it's just too big, and my screamer location is just poisoning me. So I have a tial mvs coming, with a tial diverter, 3" maf, IE valve cover and the IE catch can. Did you route your catch can from the crankcase breather, into the can and then to the valve cover?

As in monoxide poisoning?...Eeek

My breather looks like this....

So...one breather hose is from the cam cover,and the other from the crank,both venting into the catch can.

As in monoxide poisoning?...Eeek

My breather looks like this....

So...one breather hose is from the cam cover,and the other from the crank,both venting into the catch can.

Yep monoxide but recirculating the air inside has sorted it for the time being.

Perfect I'll have it fitted soon.

One big update is it landed with unicorn motor developments today where things are looking good!!!
I may even have it back for the weekend to trial it for a week or 2 and see how it performs, then after fitting some more new parts and positive on the road feedback, it will return to rick where he will keep it for another week or 2 where he will push it a little further and fine tune it to get it ready for the dyno. When he's happy and not a day before, will we see the results we've all been waiting for.

I'll be totally honest, I just want it running properly now and will be happy with what ever result we get (aslong as its over 450bhp)
I'm not gonna be greedy, I'm gonna be realistic and any big figure will be worth it after all this work.

But.....

It won't stop there, more plans for next season are already in the pipeline so this won't be last from me.

Hopefully I'll have some positive results for you all very soon. :)

Hi Craig,

I'd be surprised with your hardware,and Rick's software know-how,if you got anything less than 450bhp,and I'm absolutely sure there'd be more.

Hi Craig,

I'd be surprised with your hardware,and Rick's software know-how,if you got anything less than 450bhp,and I'm absolutely sure there'd be more.

I'm very confident its in the right place, I have no doubt about that, I'm just hoping my build lives upto its expectations...
I've lost count of how many times its gone in the opposite direction, so I guess I'm reluctant to build my hopes up.
Sent a quick text yesterday and no rods were thrown or turbos blown and things were making progress, so I guess it's just a waiting game at the moment.

I'm very confident its in the right place, I have no doubt about that, I'm just hoping my build lives upto its expectations...
I've lost count of how many times its gone in the opposite direction, so I guess I'm reluctant to build my hopes up.
Sent a quick text yesterday and no rods were thrown or turbos blown and things were making progress, so I guess it's just a waiting game at the moment.

I know exactly what you mean.

I hate hearing the car on a rolling road,as I always expect shrapnel,no matter how well it's been built etc.

Good luck!

I know exactly what you mean.

I hate hearing the car on a rolling road,as I always expect shrapnel,no matter how well it's been built etc.

Good luck!
Well, it had to happen didn't it!!

Things were going very well and I was due to pick it up Friday evening to give it a trial.

Rick calls me with a voice that tells you everything.
"Mate, its smoking"
Dropped onto 3 cylinders, cylinder 2 misfire.

Long and short of it, the same valve guide has become loose again.

It arrived on Saturday morning on a recovery truck and yesterday I stripped it in a record time of 1hr 55 mins (done it that many times)
Heads off again ready to go back... But this time we're not using the new head that I bought as we think this could be an Audi test head that's slipped through the net (or out of the back door) which under high temperatures is expanding more than it should and causing the guides to come loose.
So with respect to my head builder...
He is taking my older CDL head and fully porting and polishing it again etc etc and basically making another head for me foc.

**** DO NOT BUY A BRAND NEW HEAD FROM EBAY THAT SHOULD BE £2500 FOR £500 AND EXPECT EVERYTHING TO RUN SMOOTHLY *****

That's my lesson anyway.

On the plus side, 2 maps, one with 25psi of boost and the other with 30psi, pulls hard all the way to 7500 rpm with no issues
(Apart from what developed later)
26psi equates to roughly 450bhp going from maf readings and AFR etc. Just to give you an idea of what its pushing.
Other than that Rick was very impressed with the build and it responded very well to all aspects.

My favourite line of all time was "when it comes back and all is running well with no issues, I think we can really run some man boost in the mid range and open the Rev limiter a little more"
Also the wmi isn't even being used at this stage.

Basically it's looking good for the figures. Holding 30 psi of boost through out the Rev range is just epic anyway so we've already achieved what we set out to achieve.

So a week or 2 and I should have some more Info with a little more positivity

Reactions: Marc B7 and S3Alex