2.0TDI 190ps - Ultra or not?

ChrisS1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm due a new company car next year and top of my list is A4 Avant, S-Line, 2.0TDI 190ps S-tronic.

However, I'm not sure whether to go for the 'Ultra' version or not.

As far as I can tell, the price is the same, the performance is the same, mpg, CO2, BIK% is more or less the same.

The only difference I can see is that the 'Ultra' model has a lower top speed, which could mean that the gear ratios are different (which I would have thought would affect the performance). I'm not fussed about the top speed as I never venture above the 70mph limit :whistle2: :welcoming: but I am interested to know if the real-life performance is different, for instance when motorway cruising and wishing to overtake etc.

The other difference is the suspension; there is no option to have the softer suspension on the 'Ultra' model, and I am quite tempted to de-select the Sport suspension for the softer 'Comfort Dynamic' set-up, which would mean going for the none 'Ultra' model.

Does anybody have any experience of making this decision?

Thanks, Chris

I have an ultra 2.0 TDI S line on order and is due end of January. From what I could tell it has a slightly lower co2 emission and I think the bik is lower.

Reactions: ChrisS1
I've spoke about this in another topic somewhere. As you say, top speed is lower but MPG is slightly different in that urban is lower than non-ultra and extra urban is higher. Not much worth shouting about and combined is the same anyway. Towing weights are lower in ultra and you can't go for bigger wheels or the extended black styling pack (as they include bigger wheels).

There really doesn't seem to be any real reason to go for ultra from what I can tell, even as company car, as it doesn't change the tax bracket.

I've got this exact model as Ultra but only because for some reason the non-ultra wasn't available. For what it's worth on my company car lease provider the 190 was cheaper monthly than the 150 model, must be higher residual.

Where does the your Audi tracker get it's info because it's different to the brochure? I have an Ultra on order at present.
Screenshot 20161221 180020

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hi all,

I'm due a new company car next year and top of my list is A4 Avant, S-Line, 2.0TDI 190ps S-tronic.

However, I'm not sure whether to go for the 'Ultra' version or not.

As far as I can tell, the price is the same, the performance is the same, mpg, CO2, BIK% is more or less the same.

The only difference I can see is that the 'Ultra' model has a lower top speed, which could mean that the gear ratios are different (which I would have thought would affect the performance). I'm not fussed about the top speed as I never venture above the 70mph limit :whistle2: :welcoming: but I am interested to know if the real-life performance is different, for instance when motorway cruising and wishing to overtake etc.

The other difference is the suspension; there is no option to have the softer suspension on the 'Ultra' model, and I am quite tempted to de-select the Sport suspension for the softer 'Comfort Dynamic' set-up, which would mean going for the none 'Ultra' model.

Does anybody have any experience of making this decision?

Thanks, Chris
The "Ultra" has sports suspension as standard (lowered 20mm). I have the Ultra and it is very comfortable indeed. Suspension handles the bumps excellently and the car has a better stance. The dynamic is softer and in my opinion will make the car "WHALLOWY", also the Ultra has low resistance tyres.
My 150bhp model is averaging 51mpg on the urban cycle, I believe the 190bhp will be within a couple of mpg's but with a bit more go obviously.

i would be very careful before selecting the comfort suspension option if you have not viewed it in person.I also considered this but im glad i didnt as the sports system is excellent.The comfort option ruins the look of the car as it sits far too high up on its springs.(ok on the all track A4 or Q models) but not on the "standard saloons/avant. I viewed this in person at my dealer and changed my mind for the sports suspension as soon as i saw the comfort version.

Reactions: Jcbmally and ChrisS1
I have the 2.0 190 Ultra and wouldn't worry about top speed, you won't (legally) do it anyway. The performance is excellent, a real step up from my 2.0 147 B8.

Long term average mpg is 48 over 2.5k mikes and this week got 58 mpg on a 100 mile round trip 60% motorway and 40% town/country.

The sport suspension is fine, not spine jarring at all.

I have the same set up as the silverfox, and more or less the same mpg

Thanks for all the advice!

The reason I was considering avoiding the sport suspension is my mate used to have an 2008 A4 avant S-Line and it was a spine shatterer.
My wife has a S1 and that is not much fun over pot holes (although that has active dampers so it could be worse!).

However, after hearing your advice I think I will probably stick with the Ultra version and Sport Suspension, though I will of course have a test drive before placing the order!

Thanks again!

Reactions: Jcbmally
As has already been stated, you can't option the nicer bigger wheels with the Ultra, top speed is lower and the gear ratios are different. I have the non Ultra and it's a great car!

Thanks for all the advice!

The reason I was considering avoiding the sport suspension is my mate used to have an 2008 A4 avant S-Line and it was a spine shatterer.
My wife has a S1 and that is not much fun over pot holes (although that has active dampers so it could be worse!).

However, after hearing your advice I think I will probably stick with the Ultra version and Sport Suspension, though I will of course have a test drive before placing the order!

Thanks again!
I can assure you that the sport suspension on current the a4 rides bumps far better than previous models and I find it even more compliant than my 2014 A3 was..

As has already been stated, you can't option the nicer bigger wheels with the Ultra, top speed is lower and the gear ratios are different. I have the non Ultra and it's a great car!

Unfortunately, I will have to stick with the stock alloys anyway as I'm already at the top end of my allowance. However, I'd be interested to know how different the gear ratios are. Perhaps I'll try to arrange a back to back test drive of both versions.

Thanks again.

I had a 62 plate A3 with S Line suspension and getting in the A4 with Sport suspension is like pure luxury! Still handles well though.

I had a 62 plate A3 with S Line suspension and getting in the A4 with Sport suspension is like pure luxury! Still handles well though.

Thanks Peter,
Perhaps Audi finally realised that the back breaking suspension of previous S-Line models needed a re-think. That settles it then, I'll go with the Sport suspension.

Trust me it's absolutely fine!!

From experience forget ALL previous A4 suspension ,the B9 is in a different class entirely, the standard sports suspension is ,in my view the best compromise and balanced of the lot.

So, does my impending 190PS ultra have a top speed of 130mph or 140+mph? Brochure says 130mpg, but the Audi configurator and the yourAudi site both say the latter.

So, does my impending 190PS ultra have a top speed of 130mph or 140+mph? Brochure says 130mpg, but the Audi configurator and the yourAudi site both say the latter.

This is from the current printed brochure. These are the avant figures (saloon virtually identical). I wouldn't trust the configurator, it has a few loose ends.

Upload 2016 12 23 8 25 28

I would imagine that the 190tdi and ultra models will get near identical mpg figures in the rear world. They won't get near their claimed mpg figures.

For me the normal tdi wins for the sportier drive and looks (with the 19's fitted).