2.0TDI BRD to 3.0TDI ASB Swap?

nafnaforiginal12

Reaction score
Hi, just as above, wondered if anyone had swapped a 3.0TDI into a 2.0TDI B7?

I have a B7 Avant 2.0TDI PD170 S-Line Special Edition Quattro

Its got fairly high miles in terms of resale appeal at 155k and i always wished I'd gone for the 3.0TDI but they never came in special edition trim and wondered if i could just drop a 3.0TDI ASB in mine onto existing gearbox and drivetrain with associated wiring etc or is the suspension etc different on a 3.0TDI vehicle?

Would probably upgrade to S4 brakes too if i went down that road.

keep the 2.0 mine had 240k on it lol
there shouldnt be too much for the engine swap
engine,gearbox,mounts,ecu diff?, i dont think you will need coding

I would say just tune the 2.0tdi tbh, no problem with getting power out of it. That's coming from a 3.0tdi owner. Easier if you ever needed to sell it too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Suspension is different, subframes are different. Wiring looms are completely different.

Then you need to get the rest of the car to play with an alien engine, which is easier said than done!

id imagine youd need the drive shafts and a manual box from a 3.0

Maybe easier and cheaper to get the Special Edition trim into a 3.0 V6?

There’s nothing complex about the conversion.

The 3.0 TDI engine bolts straight up to the 2.0 TDI transmission.

The 3.0 TDI engine bolts straight up to the 2.0 TDI engine mounts.

The 2.0 TDI transmission is compatible with the 3.0 TDI.

The 3.0 TDI wiring harness plugs directly to the connectors under the 2.0 TDI ECU.

The 2.0 I4 TDI instrument cluster can be coded for 3.0 V6 TDI rpm pulses (tachometer).

I have done this swap for a friend, it was completed in a weekend, there was nothing complicated about it. This was into a 2007 B7 2.0 TDI FWD. the donor car was a 2006 B7 3.0 TDI quattro, and everything was used in the 2007 car, including quattro.

Reactions: AudiA6irl, tr7 and BakPak
Does this work the other way? If the engine failed in my 3.0tdi Quattro could a 2.0tdi engine be fitted?

definitely need a guide/write up for this swap

Reactions: BakPak
Hi, I have a Audi A6 2.0tdi Sline 2007 and I would like to change it from a 2.0TDI BRE to a 3.0TDI, If that is possible and if yes, what do I need to buy to make all that it needs for the conversion please?