2.0tdi cr 170 quattro bad mpg

Jama665

Reaction score
Brought this car in November and so far the mpg is really disappointing for a diesel

Averaging 27 over 1300miles on the dis

Averaging 360-380miles a tank.

Hardly do motorway and dual carriageway.

This normal because that's a fair way off what audi claim. longer journeys it's great though, it's just the general running about.

Was hoping to average 500 a tank!

I'm not clued up on diesels as I am petrol is there anything that could need looking at to improve mpg or are these cars just not a economic as audi claims

Cheers

I have the 2011 model same as yours and get about 33mpg was also disappointed expected a bit more.

Stick 170 mpg in the search box and you'll find a fair few threads. They don't seem that great I'm afraid.

OK so kinda normal then. Wish done a bit of research on the economy. Didn't think be that bad tbh. May have to look at a remap. Rather more poke for the same economy haha

Reactions: scotty76
Same with me I have a 2011 2.0tdi cr170 avant. Getting about 30mpg, and that's keeping the revs below 2000rpm.

I have an S4 avant - long term average over 16k miles is 27 mpg. I'd feel mighty cheated if I'd bought one of yon derv's.

Reactions: scotty76
Try using Shell nitro.My neighbour has a Mitsubishi SUV2.5 diesel and says the better mpg pays for the premium and it goes better too.Urban mpg depends a lot on how you drive and these diesels are meant for the open road

Reactions: Jama665
Same with me I have a 2011 2.0tdi cr170 avant. Getting about 30mpg, and that's keeping the revs below 2000rpm.
Wow that's awful. :( My 240bhp remapped B7 2.0T FSI did more than that. My current S4 regularly gets 30mpg on my commute.

If it's a new car, they take a while to bed in. Both our diesels improved after 9000 miles. If 1300 is all you have done since November, you probably should have got a petrol. Also, winter temps with short journeys is the worst scenario for diesels as they don't get warm. It will improve with the temperature-ours take about a 10% dive through winter. I do 20k a year and my average (worked out on fills not the DIS) is just under 40mpg and that's the biturbo A6. My wife's A4 ultra isn't much better(44mpg)

The B8 diesels are notoriously poor on mpg. There are loads of threads in here about it. It was the reason I got a 2.0tfsi as I get got the added power and same mpg!

That really isn't very good. My remapped 3.0 TDI quattro averages around 33 mpg normally and mostly thats short trips of less than 10 miles.
I don't have a DPF so that helps but TBH I used to get similar before I had it mapped and the DPF removed.
It doesn't help that you have only had the car since November as any one who has owned a diesel for several years will have noticed a good percentage drop in MPG between summer and winter. There are reasons for this,
Winter diesel is supplied between November and March, winter diesel doesn't have quite the same energy content as normal summer diesel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_diesel_fuel#cite_note-33
Diesel fuel economy is affected more than a petrol in cold conditions as diesels take a lot longer to warm up.
When we get to April / June and the temperature starts getting above 12-15 degrees all the time you should find things improve.
When these lab tests are run they are done in a temperature controlled enviroment between 20 and 30 degress C.
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vca/fcb/the-fuel-consumption-testing-scheme.asp

Reactions: Jama665
Cheers for the info. There was me thinking most modern diesels are good on fuel.

i have the A3 2.0tdi Quattro was thinking about a remap to increase the mpg as anybody else had theres done and what did you gain.

I have to agree the 170 engine doesn't seem great. My OH has it on the A6 Avant and I get better economy in my 3.0 TDI. Appreciate it is a little lighter than hers but not that much!

The above surprises me, mine isnt Avant or a Quattro so maybe the difference.

But had my 2.0 170 Saloon FWD since 2013 and get 50 - 60mpg most journeys, 40s for town driving.
I have even got 67 after a long 4 hour motorway drive. I get 600 a tank roughly.
I only use Shells premium stuff unless I am really stuck, then i put £10 of whatever is available till i can fill the better stuff. Car has done 112k now.

maybe try swapping the fuel to the premium stuff and after a few tanks see if you see the difference?

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
The above surprises me, mine isnt Avant or a Quattro so maybe the difference.

But had my 2.0 170 Saloon FWD since 2013 and get 50 - 60mpg most journeys, 40s for town driving.
I have even got 67 after a long 4 hour motorway drive. I get 600 a tank roughly.
I only use Shells premium stuff unless I am really stuck, then i put £10 of whatever is available till i can fill the better stuff. Car has done 112k now.

maybe try swapping the fuel to the premium stuff and after a few tanks see if you see the difference?

Also I am only 9st being a teeny girl, but I dont think that will make a huge difference

I've been disappointed with my MPG too. 2013 A4 Avant quattro 170. Mine generally averages 34 mpg but this is on mainly short trips, however I've only seen around 42 mpg on longer motorway trip, I brought it up with the dealer & all they did was reset the trip & go for an 18 miles drive which said it did 42 mpg & they said that was OK. Generally run her on shell super diesel ( or whatever it's called )
I know the 4wd will bring it down a bit but I would have expected it to do more. My previous car was a BMW X5 3.0 diesel & that averaged 26/27 mpg under same conditions round town & would do 36 mpg on a run yet that was about 400kg heavier & had an auto box, whereas the A4 is manual, also the X5 was running 275 & 315 section tyres which would create a bit of drag plus I had it re-mapped to about 260bhp.
In hindsight & if it hadn't been for the worry of the oil consumption issue I'd have gone for a petrol but couldn't find one with the spec I wanted & it's not a major issue given the low annual mileage we do ( although the DPF might be :)

Reactions: ScottishA4B9
Bit of a older thread, but ill chime in what I see out of my 177PS Quattro B8.5 2012.

Having driven it just under a full tank of juice (picked it up on saturday), im seeing 45.5mpg on the trip 2 computer. Thats from a 25mile trip to work with varying roads, A roads, towns, bit light city driving (stop start) and occasional bit hill in there. On the Trip 1 computer I can get it up to 48mpg over the 25mile trip from/to work.

One thing ive noticed, is the cars love to cruise down very easily with no acceleration. For example approaching a roundabout at 60mph, you can easily let the car coast for a good 5-600 yards and barely loose any speed and still not become a nuisance to cars behind by being slow.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out over the next few months. The Fiesta Mk6 1.4 I had before did 38mpg over a tank so the audi seems better. Plus, dont really drive it as hard as the fiesta, as its a nicer place to be inside and you dont mind the extra 5minutes on the end of your journey.

Reactions: JensenB