2.5 tdi afb upgrade

myth

Reaction score
It is possible to change the cylinder heads on a AFB engine with cylinder heads from a BAU engine?

From what I've searched, both engines have the same timing kit and the same head gaskets.

Thank you. This is the best upgrade a AFB/AKN engine can have!

Any cylinder heads from the following engine codes can be swapped in without any problems? AYM, BCZ, BFC, BDG, BAU, BDH.

Or can I put the cam shafts,rollers and tappers from these engines directly into the AFB cylinder heads?

Last edited:
You cannot use BDG cams and rollers in A** series heads as they would not fit. You will understand what I mean when you have both heads next to each other !
You can use the A** cams in B** series heads with cam rollers. I would not use the hollow cams, last one I worked on munched a cam on exhaust side.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 641
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    352.8 KB · Views: 552
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 615
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 573
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
Ok, let's see if I got this straight:

1.A series have solid shafts and B series have hollow shafts?
2.I cannot convert A series heads to run on roller arms?
3. I should use B series cylinder heads with roller arms but cams from A series?
4. AYM has rocker arms, not roller arms?

Thank you very much for the info.

AYM is rocker arms, all B** engines with exception of BFC are cam rollers. As I said, I used A** cams into BAU engine however I would not recommend you using early cams into late engines as they might not be compatible in your case. You can get solid cams for B series heads however dealer prices are trough the roof- £405 each !
Replacement solid cams are available from certain manufacturers however most I've seen are designed to work with each other as a set. The issue is on many cams the gears are cut slant and they only mesh one way, the B series cams are cut straight and genuine cams have an extra sprocket on the end to take backlash off the gears and reduce noise !

You can see the difference between solid cams A** and B** series...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 597
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    946.8 KB · Views: 656
So I've bought and BAU engine and I'm ready to install it. Should I keep the original injectors (150hp injectors with AFB injection pump) or should I use the 180hp BAU injectors?

I'm guessing the ECU does not know the extra fuel and the only thing I'm getting is higher fuel consumption, more smoke and little or no power gain.