2.5 TDI Bad Misfire AKE Engine Code

abyrne153

Reaction score
2.5tdi Developed a severe misfire and almost complete power loss. Cruising along 70mph on motorway after 100 mile round trip and misfire began without warning. Limped home and found 2 fault codes;
01268 Quantity Adjuster (N146) Defect Intermittent
17583 Pre injection turned off P1175

No water in fuel or anything obvious. Think maybe injection pump may be on the way out. Any thoughts on any other checks I could do would be appreciated before I take the pump off and send away for testing.

faulty pump, i am surprised it's still running ! last one i worked with this faults did not start anymore...

Reactions: abyrne153
Thought as much Chris. Thanks again for your help. Just didn't want to take the pump off if there was anything else to try. It is starting and ticking over a bit lumpy but it is driving like a complete pig.

Thanks Turkster. You are right. The ecu on these pumps are a generally the source of the trouble. The soldered joints on the pcb break due to heat / cool cycling and this one has been repaired before. I took the cheap route a few years ago and sent just the ecu off for repair and although the car ran ok afterwards it was never perfect. It was smoky on startup when cold and the fumes were very strong on tick over. The pump should have been taken off and sent away to be calibrated/tested but I just never got around to getting it done. This time the pump is coming off and I am getting it done properly.