2.5 tdi cuts out on cold start, runs rough

donsajid

Reaction score
Hi,

My 2.5 tdi was driving fine until recently, as a preventative measure i put some redex diesel injector cleaner in it which I have done many times before. About half a tank later, I don't know if this is related, but the car now has an odd growly engine note and cuts out almost immediately if gas is not applied. If i massage the throttle above 1200 RPM I can keep it from cutting out. I have found that once the temp has risen to the first notch on the temp scale, the engine will continue to act up but will not cut out. If tiptronic mode is applied, the engine seems to accelerate barely without issue. In D, particularly at low revs, the engine seems to be struggling for fuel.
I am leaning towards injectors as they have never been done in the 15+ years of ownership, and I don't think they have ever been touched.
My question is, does anybody on this time trusted board have any inkling or recollection of a similar problem. If so, it would be great to hear from you!
Any other comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Well, just an update on this for the sake of posterity. I have had injector problems before that were cured by using various diesel injector cleaners in the tank. Yes the car would run rough and jittery on occasion but it NEVER cut out.
This time the car did cut out and although I did initially suspect injectors, I was way off the mark. It turns out the cam belt tensioner bolt had snapped and sheared the bolt. This was evidenced by a metallic grinding sound coming from the front of the engine which was quite hard to distinguish from the usual diesel clatter. The grinding was the pulley rubbing against the metal timing chain guard.
Thankfully no damage was done and my Audi gets to live another day.

Reactions: Gazwould