2.5 TDI Quattro Avant W or V rated Tyres - I have both!

RogerTDI

Reaction score
I've noticed my 2001 2.5 TDI Quattro 150bhp has two V rated tyres and two W rated tyres!! I know for insurance you should have the correct rating I can't seem to see this in the Manual - Any thoughts as I've my eyes on some V rated but would pay extra for Ws if necessary.

Much Appreciated

Well, my Nov 2003 2.5TDi Quattro Sport Avant has 235 40 ZR 18 Pirelli Rossos fitted all round - I have kept the same manufacturer type and size tyres that were fitted when I purchased the car from Audi Main Dealer....just wish I could get more than 15K miles out of them ..........

Mine are W's, but mines also 2wd not a Quattro

the letter is a speed rating.

V = 149MPH
W=168MPH
Y=186MPH
Z = 150+MPH

You've nothing to worry about, unless you plan exceeding 149mph.

As for the tyres only lasting 15k, tyres that work will only last about that lenght of time. Stick some plastic fantastics on there and they might do 30k, but i wouldnt want to try driving round a corner on them!

Thanks for the advice Guys - I'll pay the extra for some W's I might be doing some towing of a car on a trailor and should head towards the W rating's.

Much Appreciated Roger

if you want more weight handling, then buy a tyre with a higher load index....

You wont be pulling the trailer over 149mph...

The load index is a two digit code which will be near the size, probably something like 91 or 94 on your A4.

a 94V is going to be better for towing than a 91W, simply because its designed to carry more weight.