2.5 V6 Tdi Front Engine Mount Removal, Headlamp Washers And Inline Renault Thermostat

Spacemonkey

Reaction score
Has anyone changed the rubber part of the front engine mount on the V6 2.5 tdi? Can it be done in situ (can't see how I can get to the top allen bolt) or is it a bumper off job?

While I'm there, the headlamp washers don't do anything. Do they have a separate pump motor and if so where is it? Is this another bumper off job?

And finally, went to fit the inline thermostat from a Renault to the top rad hose where it meets the hoses from the expansion tank, just behind the intercooler hose and anti flutter valve. I didn't remove the hose as it looks like the thermostat is too big. Has anyone fitted one here or do they put it elsewhere? For those that don;t know, it's a proven mod on many cars where the factory thermostat is an **** to get to and is failed open. I'll get a proper thermo when the belts are due but that's not for a while...

Front bumper off to change the snub mount, try the headlamp washers with the lights on and hold the stalk for more than a second ! Do the thermostat properly, i can change it on yours in under 3 hours, drop me a pm for a price...

I've done the snub mount on my 2.5 tdi and our a6 1.9 without removing the bumper. It's tight, but very doable.

I did my snub mount with bumper in situ. I cut down an old allen key and used a spanner to undo the top bolt. Bit fiddly but do-able. I'm with Chris (Adamss24) on doing the thermostat, do it properly the first time.

I have tried the washers as per the manual- lights on etc but nothing at all. Not even drips, so I'm guessing the motor on the pump? I read a thread showing how to get to it behind the headlamp. Is it really as easy as it looks to remove the headlamps without alignment issues???

Chris, I'll be asking you to do the belts, thermostat and pump etc etc but I still have another 20k to go before their due (unless the cams are shot in which case it'll be the whole lot in one hit...) but that won't take long with my 40k pa mileage.

BQ, care to enlighten me further? The top allen bolt looks a pig as there's not enough room to wield a ratchet. I guess you could lower the engine by loosening the other side mounts but is this wise or actually do-able?

I did the snub mount with bumper in situe. Was tight but doable. Had to undo the bolts then swing the mount over to one side to get to the last bolt I think, I used a normal Allen key and not a ratchet attachment. I'm doing it again soon as I used a cheap mount and have a genuine one to fit in place now.