2.5 v6 thermostat

swarcup

Reaction score
2.5 v6 tdi qs 180 engine is ake and am looking to change the thermostat but i have one question can you actually replace it without removing any of the belts, i mean can you access it even with a bit of wiggling and poking, i say this because it needs one, but the cam belt etc all have 40,000 miles left in them, obviously it wasnt changed when the previous owner had the canbelt done, just thinking i am more than capable of doing this if i dont have to start removing all the belts.

can i ask whats wrong with it as it may be the temperature sender i say this as i had the same but it was the temperature sender.
all be it i have a 1.9 tdi so not as hard to do as yours

already done the sender and it made no difference the guage still sits at around 70
although when towing a caravan it gets to 90 when accelerating but then drops right back to 70 so im pretty sure the guage is ok aswell
can only be the thermostat i think unless there is something else?

oh right thats what mine was doing. and im not 100% sure but i think all your belts need to come off from what i have seen
on here.

im sure some one on here has one and knows all about it and will let you no soon.

You need to remove the LH Side camshaft pulley and the belt needs slacking of the tensioner. Audi manual says that it can be done without removing the belt but, i never (could) do-it that way ! There is no way i could take the housing off to pull the stat as its easy to damage the belt ! While its in pieces, refit a new belt or-at least - fit a new kit if its due ! Its a fairly involved job and pray and mark jobs are a no/no !...also the injector pump needs to come off wich requires timing back so, if you dont know what you're doing, leave-it to a proffesional ! I am in N. London and i could help you- if you fancy a drive !

Answered my question too, mines only reaching 70 on runs. I start to worry about the safety of my engine!